Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 Aspencade where the Radio is N/S and not worthwhile to get fixed.Having checked around I find that Radios made Specifically for Motorcycles are quite Expensive compared to Car Radios.I am thinking about installing a good quality Car Radio with CD Player or changer.Since my original radio that came with the bike was not waterproof I don't think that would be a problem.Has anybody attempted such a install? Are there any problems i should be aware of? What about the remote control ? or best location for such a Radio?Etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sven

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you cant get your radio fixed, possibly look into a marine unit, they are fairly weather proof.
As far as a changer is concerned, maybe your best bet is to go to some sort of mp3 player attached wirelessly to the radio, you wont get any vibration problems and you can change your listening selection with your computer. I have heard of units connected like that.
A friend of mine installed an auto radio on his 86 Interstate with an adapter, to cover the radio in case of rain he put two pieces of stick on velcro on the top of the radio holder and had a vinyl cover made that he would just stick on when in the rain.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Sierra products used to do a waterprooof cover for a car radio and also a housing that fitted the GL1100 fairing which allowed you to put a car radio into.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I've always bought the best deal, sell off, simplest, no frills AM/FM Castte player, or a hand me down from a buddyand I've gone through3 decks and4 sets of speakers in the last 22 years on the same bike. Each deck I've done away with was because it started chewing tapes.I thought about a CD player but wasn't sure if it wouldn't be a frustating skip machine on a trip. As explored in another thread, I'm considering a mp3 stick with a belkin FM transmitter that can be tossed in the glove box or stuffed ina shirt pocket that will play through the radio. Don't think for one minute that all I do is ride in the sun!!!! It works out roughly to over 100,000 klm per deck

Kyle

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.