Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From your covers you have owned is there one that is rain and water proof? The one I have lets over night due in on the bike:?

·
Premium Member
61,440 Posts
imported post

I bought a cheapy and have the same probem.. Next time I'll read the fine print before I buy..........

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

You know this thread got me thinking and looking. There is really a disparity out there on what places offer. I saw Nelson Rigg, Dowco and Kuryakin.

Having a hard time sorting it out. I want the half cover for daily and touring. The "reviews" are all over the place on these things.

Haven't gone wrong with Kuryakin yet - a little more expensive in some cases - yet on the half cover some complain of "scratching" the bike - I guess primarily from the hooks that are not rubber coated?

This seem like a tough question...hmmmm....

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I have a top of the line Dowco that is completely waterproof.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Custom cover by Dowco, and it has hooded breathing holes (two fo them) It has a softer material on the inside to protect the paint and windshield.;)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Nelson-Rigg XXL size. My bike lives outside under a shed and is always covered. No problem with rain or dew.:p
I also have the Nelson-Rigg ... Since the bike stays in the garage, it is usedmostly during overnight trips. I am very please with it.

After a little practice it only takes a couple of minutes to get the bike covered for the night. On the last day of my last tour it started raining just after I got it covered for the night. Rained HARD all night. The bike stayed dry ... :clapper:

Bob

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

I have had two Beverly Bay covers. Inner lining of soft fabric to prevent scratching paint and windscreen.

Tough UV resistant outer cover that can laugh at hot Arizona sunshine.

Neither one of these ever had any moisture underneath it condensing on the bike.

I'll go back to Beverly Bay for my next one when the one I have wears out....which seems like it is going to be a long time if I don't get me a new bike right away :cheeky1:

Beverly Bay Motorcycle Covers

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
Nelson-Rigg XXL size. My bike lives outside under a shed and is always covered. No problem with rain or dew.:p
+1 for the Nelson-Rigg. I have the deluxe all season. It packs fairly tight and hasn't let any rain in yet. I park in the garage at home, but use the cover at work all the time as well as when I'm travelling.

John

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I find that if I keep the shingles on my garage in good shape, I never have to worry about the elements dripping on my bike.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Nelson Rigg seems to be a pretty good brand. I had a set of the soft saddle bags for bargoyle, I thought they were well made...

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

With either of these brands, does anyone use one with an extra-tall Tulsa windshield on a 1500? If so, what size?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I have an Ultra Guard that works great. It's everything-proof. :)

The only drawback to it is pack volume. Even when you jam it tightly in it's included pouch - it's a bit bulky for week-long tour.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
With either of these brands, does anyone use one with an extra-tall Tulsa windshield on a 1500? If so, what size?
I don't have the extra tall windshield, but the N-R XXL cover is big enough that I don't believe the tall windshield would be an issue, especially since theTulsa leans back more than most of the screens.

John

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well I did it I went with the Nelson Rigg Defender 2000 XXL I hope that as good as you advertise, its got to be better than the last one.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

I have an original Honda cover for my 1200ltd. The bike came with only 22,000 miles on it but the cover has been well used over its 23 year life. It is starting to allow overnight dew to collect on the bike but keeps out the serious rainfall. The good thing is that it is lightweight and conveniently packs in my saddlebag. Being an avid outdoors man as well as a biker serves me well. I have, over the years, water proofed jackets, sleeping bags, tents and even shoes. Because I know their are many quality spay-on waterproofing, I am planning on using a spray-on water repellent to bring back the condition for my old cover (think I will patch the few small holes in the process). As you can purchase enough cans of spray-on water repellent to do the job for under $10 US. I would suggest you consider salvaging what you have before buying something new.

I am also presently thinking of building a PVC and vinyl folding cover to house mine in (it stays outside under the present cover all year round). This will not be something to travel with but still needs to be collapsible for storage when I am not at home (a goodly part of each summer). If you are interested, I will send you the plans (pics first) when I complete it. (I looked at buying one and found the $400-600 being asked to be more then what I wanted to spend). Cutting PVC, using appropriate fittings, and using a little vinyl glue and tape is not that hard and certainly no where near that expensive.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

I have an original Honda cover for my 1200ltd. The bike came with only 22,000 miles on it but the cover has been well used over its 23 year life. It is starting to allow overnight dew to collect on the bike but keeps out the serious rainfall. The good thing is that it is lightweight and conveniently packs in my saddlebag. Being an avid outdoors man as well as a biker serves me well. I have, over the years, water proofed jackets, sleeping bags, tents and even shoes. Because I know their are many quality spay-on waterproofing, I am planning on using a spray-on water repellent to bring back the condition for my old cover (think I will patch the few small holes in the process). As you can purchase enough cans of spray-on water repellent to do the job for under $10 US. I would suggest you consider salvaging what you have before buying something new.

I am also presently thinking of building a PVC and vinyl folding cover to house mine in (it stays outside under the present cover all year round). This will not be something to travel with but still needs to be collapsible for storage when I am not at home (a goodly part of each summer). If you are interested, I will send you the plans (pics first) when I complete it. (I looked at buying one and found the $400-600 being asked to be more then what I wanted to spend). Cutting PVC, using appropriate fittings, and using a little vinyl glue and tape is not that hard and certainly no where near that expensive.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

v_man_1 ,,,,,,,,,,, what spray-on treatments would you recommend?? I have been useing the cheap Wal-Mart cover and it keeps most heavy rain off, but it still needs to be wiped off. So maybe it wouldn't hurt to try a treatment just for the sake of experimenting.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Winger 77,

Although I use Coleman brand, there are many of them out there and, to my knowledge, they all work well. Just remember not to wash them with soap and water or dry in a dryer. My wife did me a favor once and washed and dried my foul weather suit that I use for fishing, boating and biking. I got caught offshore in a storm, hit by a huge wave breaking over the boat and soaked to the bone. Though I thought I was properly prepare, it was one of the most miserable fishing experiences I have everencountered. I was so wet and cold that I could barely wait to get in off the water (something that normally requires me to be forced in kicking and screaming). Other than that, waterproofing has served me well. hope this helps. v_man_1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.