Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2006 1800 and, like others have said, the speedometer appears to be about 8% optimistic at highway speeds. I've heard that if one goes to a 70 series rear tire it goes a long ways toward correcting the optimistic speedometer. Can anyone out there actually verify this and if so did you notice any difference in handling with the 70 series tire?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

You will find a lot of discussion on this, Pro's and Con's. I have also read that 2009 and perhaps 2008 Wings are about spot on from Honda. If you just want to correct the speedometer error, you may want to look into a device like the Speed Healer. This will electrically correct the speedo error.
Let me share with you my experience.
I have a 2005 Wing. I did a lot of research on speedo error and tires. I wanted the speedo to be closer to spot on. I also liked the extra ground clearance that a 70 series tire would give me in the twisties.
The 70 series tires, no matter what make will only give you about 10,000 miles tread life. But the performance for me makes the slightly lower wear mileage a moot issue. Cost per mile is not too different when calculated with other 60 series tires I have tried. Besides, new tires perform better than 3/4 to warn out tires anyway!
I have also found that not all 70 series tires are the same, even by the same manufacturer. I have given up on Dunlop due to noise, out of round, slip in rain and other issues with many of their tires for the GL1800 in both 60 and 70 series tires.
The 70 series tire that I have found performs the best is the Bridgestone Exedra G850 180-70 ZR 16. This is listed for a VTX 1800. I am so impressed with the performance. My speedo is spot on. I have a lot of extra clearance in the twisties, grips in the rain and this tire is solid and smooth at speeds up to 100mph+. I have warn out several and will continue using this tire unless I find something better. So far I have not. There are other performance tips for those who have installed the taller 70 series tire. But I don't want to get too long winded here!
My recommendation is to try one and make your own decision. It is only one tire and you will know what works best for you.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

My first experience was when I won a set of E3's for my 2003 Wing. Had them installed and upon coming home the thing seemed like it JUMPED up on the center stand! I actually worried that the frame weld might be giving way and did some research into that. It wasn't until the next day that I noticed that the bike's speedo matched the GPS within one MPH. New clue! I finally figured that I had won a 180-70R16 and I love it.

Some have worried about the bike having taller gearing and being less responsive off the line, I can't imagine that being a consideration! I like the center stand issue and the speedo and odomoter correction.

I got 16,034 miles on the first but tossed it with some tread left to put on a new set of tires for a trip. I've got over 18,200 on the second one now. In the mean time I put on a spare trike take off rear wheel I bought and ran it off for 10,041 miles (have no idea how many miles it had on it when I bought it). The front E3's are getting about 20K on them also.

I now have a full set of extra wheels mounted so I can run the tires out and still have a good set available when heading out on a long trip. I bought the bike 4/07 and have put over 47K miles on it.

I'm now considering going to the "darkside" so I may have a brand new (stickers still on them) full set of E3's for sale in the Sacramento, CA area. The only problem I'm haveing regarding the change to the darkside is the limited selection of 195-65/16 CT's available to give the same speedo correction, which is a major consideration for me now that I've experianced the taller tire.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

That's one of the tip's with running a 70 rear tire. When up on the center stand, the tire will just touch the ground. I resolved this by putting a 1/8 inch thick shoe on the bottom of the center stand feet. Now the 70 rear tire clears the ground by 1/2 of an inch. Raising and lowering on the center stand is the same as Honda delivered.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I have read the posts on rear tire size on the GL1800 affecting the speedometer reading. I thought the speedo ran off the front wheel. If so the reading would not be affected.
Mick

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

MickUpi

The speedo is run off the engine output shaft, or more correctly, the tranny output shaft.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The best way to get an accurate speedometer is to have a 1500!:cooldevil::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The best way to get an accurate speedometer is to have a 1500!:cooldevil::cheeky1:
Ok I'll bite.....:D

Thought of that:cool:but the 1500 won't fit in my trunk! I suppose I could drag one along behind.....:cheeky1:with a rope:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Who said Wingers coulden't have fun with one another???:action::action::action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yellow Box is another speedometer calibrator for electronic speedometers. Probably look good on a Yellow 'Wing.

http://www.yellr.com/

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

what are you using for front tire, i'm in need for btoh on my 08, also have you heard any one mention surging on the 08's. thanks todd

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

A Speedo Healer will solve your problem. I installed one on my 05 about 3 years ago and with the excellent help from the manufacturer it is spot on now. No phantom miles and you can figure your gas mileage without having to adjust for 8 to 10 per cent error. It is a plug and play item and costs about $100.00. Money well worth the effort to install.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.