Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GL1500 question on the rear tire.

I'm sure this has been asked more than a million times. But the rear tire on my Goldwing (Bridgestone 160/80-R16) has worn and I only got about 11,000 miles on it. The manual recommends that I use Dunlop. But I suspect the seller (who sold me the Wing) installed cheaper Bridgestones. I've got white cord showing on the center of the tire. Now of course on aircraft (F-16's), we were allowed to have 3 cords showing before tire replacement being a much thicker tire. And when it comes to motorcycles (and probably cars/trucks), it is never a good idea to run your tires below 2/32's. So next month I will be forced to buy a rear tire at a cost of $360 bucks.

I've heard of Goldwing riders going to the "dark side" by installing a car tire. Are their any experienced Goldwing riders that have done this on the GL1500 or larger? Should I try the Dunlop tires with the reinforced center? Seems to me that rear tires on heavy cruisers are too expensive for such short travel. The total cost for replacement will be about $360 bucks, and that's a lot of money to spend every year since that is about how long they seem to last on my driving habits. Assuming I do choose to use a car tire, the problem is finding someone to install the tire for me. Honda would not do it.

I know that a car tire uses flatter surfaced traction that this will make leaning a little bit more tricky. I really wish I could change and balance the tire myself, and save some bucks. But having to spend roughly $1,600 bucks every four years is a lot of money to be putting into a tire.

I'd like some serious input. If I were to select a car tire for the rear wheel (16" inch wheel), what tire size and brand should I go with?

Joe

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
What Bridgestone tire is it? Usually that kind of wear, with that mileage, is an indication of poor maintenance. And some of us believe a worn out Bridgestone is better than a new Dunlop.

And, you should be able to save 200 bucks by taking the rim into a tire shop and having the tire mounted and balanced.

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
11,000 miles may not be too unusual depending on how you ride. If I could have gotten that kind of mileage out of a motorcycle tire on an 1800 I might not have gone darkside when I did. I was going through a set of tires every 3 months, about 8,000 miles.

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
And, you should be able to save 200 bucks by taking the rim into a tire shop and having the tire mounted and balanced.
On a 1500 it's almost worth that to have someone else do it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm on my second set of Dunlop K177 tires that seem to be frowned on in the forums (the original OEM tires). I notice they are also rather pricey compared to others. Maybe the reason they are frowned on. Anyway I got about 16K miles on the first set, and never had any complaints about their performance other than some scalloping issues, but I believe that is characteristic of bike tires in general. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV online. They are not currently available for rear tires. But J&P and Revzilla both carry them right now. About $220 -235 free shipping. I pulled the wheel off and had the tire installed by a local bike shop for about $30 as I recall. I did some other maintenance while in there, brakes, shock oil, rubber dampers, moly paste, etc. I remember calling local Honda shops for tires when before I did it. They indicated they could not even buy the tires for what I was paying for them. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dunlop-k177-tires?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImruL65vG3QIVSqaWCh09pAMzEAAYASAAEgLRH_D_BwE https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz25282/dunlop-k177-160-80b16-rear-tire?mrkgadid=3300286578&rkg_id=0&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping++Manufacturer+Intent+-+Tires&product_id=ZZ25282&utm_content=pla&adpos=1o3&creative=278823731742&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-LeX85rG3QIVWKaWCh0u1AVrEAQYAyABEgLgrfD_BwE

·
Administrator
57,648 Posts
Anyway I got about 16K miles on the first set, and never had any complaints about their performance other than some scalloping issues, but I believe that is characteristic of bike tires in general.

I respectfully disagree with this assumption.

it is from too low tire pressure, and possibly from not being perfectly balanced.

Keep the tires at 44 psi and use balance beads, and I suggest that the tires will not scallop out.

I don't have that problem, and I run 44 psi and balance beads.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
Wouldn't white cord in the middle of the tire indicate high pressure? (Or a tire spinning hot rodder?) >:)
It indicates it worn out to me. :grin3: They will always wear more in the center.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Where r u paying 360 for the tire?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I run the Dunlop Elite 3's for both ends of my 2000 SE. 10k kms so far & no issues. Balance beads, so no worry on perfect balance for the life of the tread. Question. how does one corner with ANY authority on a Flat Tread?? Dragging the pegs would probably be exciting!
Just saying, from Canada. Chow

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Not knowing any better, I've always used Elite III also. My last rear tire went 30,000 miles. For some reason the front gets less but still very high. I'm now moving on to Elite 4 and see no reason to change. But AZ...they do scallop and I never ride without first checking tire pressure.

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
Question. how does one corner with ANY authority on a Flat Tread?? Dragging the pegs would probably be exciting!
Just saying, from Canada. Chow
Come down and ride with me and I'll show you.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts

That is the reason I have learned to change tires myself so that it is done correctly. FYI for the OP, I always change brake pads and rear end oil while doing the rear tire since it is a time consuming job.
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts

That is the reason I have learned to change tires myself so that it is done correctly. FYI for the OP, I always change brake pads and rear end oil while doing the rear tire since it is a time consuming job.
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11395
I agree with Tony. There's a bunch of other stuff needs doing at rear tire change time. And once the wheel's off, you might as well change and balance it yourself. This is the only bike I have that doesn't have inner tubes and tire changing is a lot easier without tubes.
Also, I tried the 'tilt up all the luggage' technique once and found it to be not that easy and did a lot of damage doing it. Left bag removal is the way I do it. A bit tedious but not that hard.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I agree with Tony. There's a bunch of other stuff needs doing at rear tire change time. And once the wheel's off, you might as well change and balance it yourself. This is the only bike I have that doesn't have inner tubes and tire changing is a lot easier without tubes.
Also, I tried the 'tilt up all the luggage' technique once and found it to be not that easy and did a lot of damage doing it. Left bag removal is the way I do it. A bit tedious but not that hard.
Terry is right about several other items of maintenance should be done while the rear wheel is off. Lubing the final drive splines, change rear drive gear oil, inspect/replace brake pads and generally clean up around in the area. I tried the tilt bags up and over once also. Never again. It is much too hard to get everything back in place when putting it back together.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
Another fan of the Austone. Got 33k out of mine and never a negative anything with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Until I bought a lift table putting the back tire on the 1500 was a PITA! After the table with the removable panel under the rear tire it is much easier. I take my wheels off and then take them to a private shop. I called one of our 'approved dealers' a while back and they quoted me over $100 just to change the tire if I carried it in!! Don't buy much from them anymore. My shop buddy says Wings have stiffer tire sidewalls than HD's but have a drop center rim, so much easier to change tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts