Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or in the misc forum, but I was wondering if anyone in my area is wanting to start a shop for wings. I was thinking since the dealers don't like to work on the older bikes, there should be a shop that would. If anyone is planning this, I would like to help out. I can't offer much (mainly time) and I won't ask for much either. Like I said, It's an idea that we can run with or just talk about. I also have an idea for a bike that might be useful, but that's for another part of the site. :)

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That would be one of the things to discuss. Obviously it would need a customer base and part of that would be getting the word out about it. I see many wings out here every day, some that live around here and some that are just riding through. It would probably need to be close to the interstate but not so close that the rent for the shop is way too high. The shop could work on other bikes as well, but specialize in older wings. More importantly it would create jobs. I however am unable to do something like this full time due to my current job so if someone else wants to take this up and run with it, I will be more than willing to help with what I can.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I was in Fredericksburg Monday and Tuesday for a training class. That area has absolutely exploded in the last 20 year. I can remember when it was farm fields.

A bike shop should do well there with the locals and if advertised, with the ones who use 17/29/50/66 to get over to 81.

I would think you would have to do more than just older wings.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I would think you would have to do more than just older wings.
I'm not so sure about that. We have a population base of about 800,000 and we have a guy who works on Goldwings out of his garage. Good luck trying to get an appointment within a month during riding season. We could easily keep another guy busy in this area.

Just by coincidence, I stopped at a Honda shop in Fredericksburg back in '81 and bought a set of chrome valve covers for the '78. I remember it well because the staff were so nice. They installed them for free and sent me on my way. Also remember it was the first place I ever drove on cobblestones. Not so much fun.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Along a slightly different vein, I have been thinking about this for a while. A user on another site, says they have a co-op thing going on in his area for mainly vintage Japanese bikes. They meet on Saturdays and share tools, hands and experience. It's is a great scene if some specialize in brakes, forks, timing etc. As a job is getting done anyone there can watch and learn. You really just need a meeting place, a few bodies and some tools. They even arranged for a project bike that members are learning on while repairing/building.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

A Co-op is a very good idea, since licensing and liability insurance would probably be quite onerous, not to mention the cost of accumulating all those 'Special Tools' Honda loves to use to make it harder to do your own wrenching. :X

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

That's a great idea. I've heard about the GWRRA around here doing something like that once every few months. I was actually thinking something similar to that in that you can take your bike in, it would have all of the tools and if you so choose you can do the work using the tools in the shop and with the help of someone that's more experienced in it. Kinda like a auto hobby shop in the military. Of course, paperwork would need to be in place saying that the shop is not liable for anything while you are working on your own bike, etc... it would be great to have that option so that people that don't have the $$$ for the hourly rate could get a discounted rate for doing the work themselves. we could also have classes on how to do regular maintenance and such. maybe even host a few riding courses. I'm sure that it could work out one way or another.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

So many of the people I know that have Wings work on their own. I think that is may be a result of there being no good place to bring the Wing when it does get some age on it :? I do not know for sure. All machines wear out eventually, so I wonder also if a shop like that would be viable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.