Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm now brand new to Goldwinging. Got an '83 Aspencade with only 23K miles on it Monday. I had a Honda 750 for years and put over 120K miles on it. Loved the bike and hated the chain. It had no type of windshield, and until Monday I have never ridden a bike that has one. The vetter makes things weird too....it doesn't turn and change direction... Anyway, I was noticing how loud this thing is. First of all, what's the whining sound? I notice it rises and falls with the RPMs, not actual motion. Then there are clattering sounds deep within. I'm thinking when I over rev it gets bad? It sounds a lot different than the 750. But, finally it dawned on me that a big part of it is because I could never really hear what was going on before because of the wind, and the clattering in general is okay and it's not really tearing itself apart like it sounds...I hope.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Welcome Nopeda!

It's differant, no doubt. You'll also notice a clunk sound when shifting, especially the lower gears. That's normal for the Goldwing Klunk-o-matic trans.

Tru you don't have a chain to maintain or tension now. But you do have a radiator and final drive to deal with.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Yes, having a fairing does make the engine sounds more noticeable.

from what I've found working on goldwings, the whining is probably coming from the timing belt tensioners and the rattling is the primary chain inside of the engine.

Does the rattling go away when you give it gas? if so, then yes, it is the chain.
Synchronizing the carbs does wonders in making that chain slap go away.
I'm willing to bet that your bike isn't tearing itself apart.

You'll get used to the fairing not moving with the handlebars, I did.

Welcome to goldwinging!

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I'm in the same boat as you, but an 82 interstate. The fairing and helmet choice make a big difference in how things sound. Have fun!
chriso

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

The "whining" sound never bothered me. Sounds sort of like a Singer Sewing Machine, and will probably last as long. ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I always thought the whine sound was like a turboprop winding up, sounded good to me. The four cylinder 'Wings due have some mechanical noises for sure. The 1500 was the quietest of the 'Wings. It took me a bit to get used to the timing chain whine on the 1800, it makes more noise than the older models with timing belts.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Isn't it nice that the bike is quiet enough for you to notice these things. My 1800 has two different whines one from the engine and another from the trans. From what I understand that's about normal for my bike so I got used to them. The trans does clunk even if your very very easy with it (just another wing thing). If your really interested in figuring out what each sound is, you can take a dowel rod or a mechanics stethoscope and poke around a bit. the dowel rod, you'll want to put it on a part of the engine and place your ear up to the other end. the stethoscope, well I'm sure you can figure that one out. :ROFL: If it's on the front of the engine, I would say the tensioners or something of that nature. Take your time and get to know your wing. Most of all, have fun. Oh, and welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The timing belts whine. It may have something to do with the air being trapped by the belt teeth and escaping as the gap closes. It isn't usually anything to worry about.
+1 on syncing the carbs. That should make the primary chain rattle go away.
If you don't know when the timing belts were changed you should consider doing that. It's an interference engine and if the belts are old and brittle thay can break and you'll bend at least one valve for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.