Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:)HELLO ALL:
I HAVE A 2005 WING WITH 9000 MILES AND AM GETTING SOME TIRE CUPPING ON THE FRONT. I HAVE THE USUAL LOW SPEED WOBBLE AND I GUESS THAT HAS CAUSED SOME OF THE TIRE PROBLEM. I AM THINKING ABOUT A NEW TIRE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST IN HELPING THE WEAR AND WOBBLE PROBLEM. I'VE READ ABOUT THE STEERING HEAD BEARINGS CAUSING THE WOBBLE BUT DON'T THINK I'LL ATTEMPT THAT JUST YET. MY MAIN CONCERN IS ABOUT TIRES NOW.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ADVICE

I HAVE THE STOCK DUNLOP ON IT NOW. ITS A 2005 GOLDWING GL 1800

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Welcome Ray !! I do not have your model and you didn't state what you have on there now but the Dunlop Elite III would be nice.
At only 9,000 miles the steering head bearings should be like new unless it's been frontended
A worn out tire could be your wobble.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

And I am reading very good things about the MICHELINS.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Jerry, I have the same problem..........changing the tires will help and correct your problem. I thought about the "All Balls" bearings, but I'm still not convinced that the bearings are bad or loose. I will get to them but for now, E-3's have corrected my issue.

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

I agree with Flyone, I have an E3 and like it far and above the POJ bridgestone I had previously and it hasn't cupped like the original D250 but I doubt I will get any more mileage out of it, I only get about 8000 out of a front tire so you're doing good with 9000.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

TIRES are often a personal experience thing.For me and my 1800 I have gone thru various brands with very different results.I am at this time running Avon's new cobra tires with a very different tread design,I have 5000 miles on these tires ,The front looks like I just put it on,The back has a little cupping but not bad as I pull a trailer and ride 2 up often.I ran Avon Venoms with little success,But the cobras seem to be doing well for me.....

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Hey jerryj - welcome to this great forum :waving:. There are no Michies for the 1800 (very unfortunate). I'm running Metz on my 1800 and I am not happy with them at all - others have said they love them but after the Michies on my 1500 I can't say I'm impressed.

What do you run for tire pressure? Under-inflation will promote cupping. I run mine at 41 front and rear.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Go with BRIDGESTONES and make sure you check the pressure in them each week .a great tire on the 1800 ,Dunlops are pure rubbish .

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

What color tire is fastest :baffled::baffled::baffled: :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Any one knows that red tires are the fastest tires. :D

Here you go, any color you like.

Color Tires for Motorcycles

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
Any one knows that red tires are the fastest tires. :D

Here you go, any color you like.

Color Tires for Motorcycles
Does REDWING know :shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I talked with the Avon tyre rep at the Greenville, Sc cycle show and he was adamant that most folks run too LOW of a tire pressure, and that Avon wants to see at least 42 psi front and 44psi rear, and up to 50 rear if 2 up and loaded with stuff.
I just put Avon venoms on in early Jan, and I'll try this & see if it works. He also said that low speed wobble was due to the tyres not having enough pressure on them-not sure if I buy into that,but it could be a factor.
:headbanger:

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

JerryJ,

I'm on my second set of Dunlop D250's right now, both of my new 1800's were delivered with them. I have also used Metzeler ME880's, Avon Cobra's and 4 sets Bridgestone Exedra's. I my opinion the Bridestones are the way to go, excellent traction wet or dry, reasonable mileage life and they are typically the least expensive of the major brands.

I just ordered a new set of Bridgestones from AMT today, the total cost with shippng was $276.09.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks Flyone. I will find out soon enough. I plan on getting a new tire within a couple of weeks.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I was talking with a friend of my today that has a 1800, and he is excited about a new front end suspension from this web site. It is suppose to make cornering like your on a rail. not sure if this will help tire problems but woosie front end makes for a wobble.
http://www.traxxion.com/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.