Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I've got my next project in front of me. It's a GL1200 that I rode from Vancouver Island to Brandon Manitobe in the summer of 2009....longs story but after $2500 + in repairs/maintence I"v got an alternator instead of stator...new starter...fan & fan switch..new serpintine belt. The engine is nice & tight...runs well...and body is all intact..

In the fall of 2009, I had a small electrical fire due to some monkey rigged starter switch bypass....after the fire was put out, it didn't do hardly any damage to the bike....just burnt up the monkey rigged switch bypass.

problem is now it won't start using starter button but will if you bypass. lights don't work either.

one local guru claims it needs anew wiring harness....so I got one...

NOw to start trouble shooting.....only trouble is.....I don't know where to start....does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Replace the old harness to start.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks newday777...is there any kind of diagram on net that might be helpful?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Do you have the repair manual? Good place to start, but it probably won't give you exact directions on replacing a wire harness. Best bet, take lots of pictures as you take each piece of and notes. Basically have to do a total strip down. All plastic will have to come off to expose the workings. It can be done. Just will take lots of patience, if you have someone that has a parts bike that you could park next to yours would help. Maybe watch for one to get cheep.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Edge wrote:
... problem is now it won't start using starter button but will if you bypass. lights don't work either...
What lights don't work? All or just the headlight?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.