Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Captainbrian47 wrote:
Don' you have a weight limit over there,as to what you can pull ??? :?:baffled::leprechaun:
Reading the article on these it says it can only tow a vehicle up to 5500 pounds at a speed of 20 MPH.

Guess it would be enuf to get a stalled vehicle off the main road way to get traffic back moving.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Be interesting on a wet road, going downhill,and having to brake hard. Lane splitting usually does not go that smoothly, either.

Wonder where the attachment points are on the Wing

Do they use the center stand to hold the bike up while putting the car on the dolly? Where does the car driver ride during the tow?
I don't think the final drive gear ratio is stock.
bet it aint cheap either.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I wounder how this idea might be used to tow small aircraft and helicopters around on an airport? Something to think about, A--:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

THE TOWING ISNT THE PROBLEM ITS A ROLLING OBJECT,I MEAN WE ALL HAVE PUSHED CARS BY HAND.THE PROBLEM WOULD BE STOPPING.JUST MY OPINION.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it must have brakes on the trailer so the weigh of the car on the trailer does all the stopping force
This is from there Q&A section on their website.

Q - This is the biggest question we get: HOW DO YOU STOP IT?

A - It's a great question. The solution was pure genius. The answer is in 1 of the 2 worldwide patents held by Retriever. Essentially there is a mechanical mechanism that activates a braking system on the trailer depending on how much deceleration is occurring. There can be no deceleration forces placed on the motorcycle or the motorcycle will flip over. The trailer is equipped with vented/drilled disc brakes with 2x2 calliper pistons PER SIDE.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
imported post

It's a great piece of kit alright.I was so impressed that I looked into getting one to help ease congestion on Irish roads as we all know it's the "rubbernecking" that slows down traffic and not the accident itself and believe me the Retriever is well capable of towing a car due its many mods

Welleven though it's a fairly expensive piece of machinery ,that wasn't the main problem. The main issue over here was "type approval"bassically it means that all vehicles must fall into one catagory or another and as the Retriever fits into none of our existing catagiries it won't be allowed on Irish roads period !so I hit a brick wall and put it on the back burner, pity though wouldn't you just love to see a cage being towed by a wing :D

MW

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Nice, VERY nice!:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Breaking solution makes since. I wondered that too. Breaks on the trailer. Wheel in the pivot appears to support some of the weight of the vehicle and keeps the front wheel down on the wing. Pretty neat..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.