Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, this is my first question since joining your forum. I have a 1985 Gl 1200 Aspencade that has had starter problems. I have a new battery with a battery tender on it to keep it charged. When the motor is cold the bike starts up right away, but once warmed up the starter drags and is slow. The bike will not start. When running (normal driving) about 2500 it is charging at about 14V, when idling it is about 11V or 12V.

I began checking wiring for loose contacts and checked the 3 wires to the left of the battery off of the alternator and found the plug connection completely fried and burnt. The 3 wires above and below the connector are each all yellow (no stripes, other colors) Why did the manufacturer do this? :X

Idisconnected the bottom wires from the connector and soldered3 new replacement all yellow (12 gauge) wiresto them.I followed the 3 upper wires (above the burnt connector) to the main harness and they are all yellow (no stripes, or other color). :XI tried to mark each wire (upper and lower) to make sure they would besoldered together correctlybut the connector was so bad, I may not have been able to do it right.Does anyone know how to check these to make sure? :?

I am not too knowledgeable about wireing but may have to take it to a shop or get someone to check them before soldering the final ends. I don't want to burn out anything if I do it wrong.:cooldj: Please help if you can.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

It makes no difference which yellow wire from the alternator goes to which wire going to the regulator. That is why they are all yellow....

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard.

The starter problem you mentioned is common on a 1200. Check your grounds, make sure you havea good battery, and then pull the starter, open it up and clean the contacts in the back with some brake-parts-cleaner (spray). Then let it dry real good and put it together and then back on, it should solve your problem. (due to your charging description, I'm thinking your grounds are good and the battery is good too)

The 3 yellow wires you mentioned are for the stator(bike's alternator). It's extremely common for the 3-wire plug to burn out. What you did is correct and it doesn't matter which wires you soldered together, because they're all the same--I know it sounds weird, I forget the technical explanation, but don't sweat it. As long as each wire is separate and not touchingthe others, you're cool.

You can read more about a good procedure to do this 3-wire solder by doing a search in this forum. There's also real good instructions for pulling the starter. you can download a manual from the reference section if you don't already have one.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Also, someone told me that if I put a new ground strap off of the starter housing to the frame may help the starter if I have starter problems. Does this sound right? Has anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you guys for all your help. I was thinking that I would have to take it to the Honda shop to get screwed again. The last time I took it, when I was driving away my battery side cover fell off on the freeway.........

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Hi Farnold,

Please put your location in your profile when you get the chance, so that others may see where your from and possibly help you out locally.

To the best of my knowledge the 3 wires from stator, have no order to them, just insure you solder them correctly by cleaning everything and using heat shrink and liquid tape to cover splices. The 3 yellow wires are a known problem on the 1200's

Others will come along and help you out more than me as I'm pretty new to the goldwing scene only less than 10 months and counting :)

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

My Clymer Shop Honda Manuel says that I have to pull the motor out of the frame but what I hear on the forum, that was a "misprint" and you can pull the starter. I'm afraid that I would drop the chain or something in the motor (like what the manual says) and have to pull the motor out anyway. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

No you don't need to pull the motor to get the starter out.

Put it on the kickstand, make sure it's secure with a jackstand under the left front of the motor (so it doesn't fall on you). Then pull it. There'll be about a cup of oil that comes out, so be prepared for it. Also change that front O-ring on the starter.

The first time I did it, it was a bear to line up the shafts on re-installation, but after the first time, it wasn't too bad.

btw, Clymer is a dingbat that needs to have his hands broke so he can't type anymore manuals.:action:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I will finish soldering the 3 yellow wires and see if that helps out. Otherwise, I will plan on pulling the starter. I know someone mentioned to use magnets or wire to secure the chain from dropping. I will check on this once I decide to pull it. Thanks again for all your help.....

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

as the guys say, it sounds like your stater needs cleaning or new brushes, another place to check for fried wires is at the top of the solenoid, if it needs doing, just make a note of what wire goes where and cut the plug off and solder and insulate some good spade terminals in place of the plug, also check around the reg/rec plug for fried wires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.