Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know many owners of Goldwings (from 2001 on) have experienced a low speed wobble, usually after the first set of tires is replaced. I have checked many websites and there are a variety of remedies, none of which seemed to tackle the actual problem. Thetheory for the wobble has been blamed on the fork head set, bushings, fork oil to name a few. Some have cured the problem with a variety fixes, other have not.

My first set of tires OEM Dunlops worked great, albeit wore quicker than I would have liked. Thus my second set I went to Avon VenomR, a premium tire. While many people maylike these tires I did not. They are a heavy tire requiring very hard inflation. The handling of my bike suffered as it seemed I hard to work harder at "spirited"riding than previously.

I spoke with my local Honda shop in Nanaimo, BC., Canada and they had no resolve for my wobble problem. Likewise Honda Canada also had theories but no cure.

I then contacted the Honda dealer in Chilliwack, BC., and the service mgr there stated he felt that the wobble boiled down to the choice of tires. He felt that the Goldwing was designed with the Dunlop tire in mind, and he felt that only Dunlops should be worn on the GW.

What did I have to lose? I despised the wobble and it made even short runs on the bike a disappointment.

So I went back to the original Dunlop OEM and no more wobble!! The bike was back to the one I feel in love with. Cornering and fast riding was easy again and absolutely no wobble.

So for those of you that have experienced the wobble and are looking for a cure try the Dunlop fix. It is cheaper than running Avons or Metzler's on the bike and no wobble. I would be interested to hearfrom others that have thge wobble and then try this remedy.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Dave, welcome to the forum. The Honda guy you spoke to was talking rubbish when he said "the Goldwing was designed with the Dunlop tire in mind". The 2001 and 2002 models had Bridgestones on them and Honda made a big deal about the amount of research they put into this. I think it's just a question of luck and quality control because I've read about plenty of wobbling 1800s with Dunlops fitted as well.

You were lucky with this set, I hope your luck holds next time round as well. :waving::waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey DDFee :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:My neighbour has a '02 :18red:fitted with the second set of BRIDGESTONE tyres :skipping:and has never experienced any such thing as a wobble. :weightlifter:His :18red:is faultless.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Well I have Dunlop's and also have wobble at low speeds. I'm used to it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I have a wobble at all speeds. Change[ tires] [ Dunlop ][bearings][forks] no change same wobble 1987 1200 Asp. Alski

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

alski425 wrote:
I have a wobble at all speeds. Change[ tires] [ Dunlop][bearings][forks] no change same wobble 1987 1200 Asp. Alski
I had the wobble as well, but a new Elite II always run with a slightly higher pressure solved it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I've never driven a Gold Wing with a wobble.

I have driven a Yamaha FZR1000 with a high speed wobble...different story.

Gold Wings are not inherent wobblers, everyone I've driven has been rock solid. Worked in a Honda shop(s) for 8 years, '83-'91, was given a new GW to drive every year, none of them wobbled, my '89 doesn't wobble now.

What I know about motorcycles and physics suggest that some motorcycles are sensative to the shape of the tire. Some manufacturers use a more rounded profile and some more triangular, some have radial construction, some are bias, some are radially belted, some are diagonally belted, etc.

Changing brands of tires can make a huge difference in performance.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey DDFee :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:My neighbour has a '02 :18red:fitted with the second set of BRIDGESTONE tyres :skipping:and has never experienced any such thing as a wobble. :weightlifter:His :18red:is faultless.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:
I think if you make sure your wing is RED, which is the fastest colour, you don't have this problem

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

The only time i see my neighbour wobble :baffled:is when he is walking home from the pub after closing time. :fighting:

:doh: :18red: :doh:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
The only time i see my neighbour wobble :baffled:is when he is walking home from the pub after closing time. :fighting:

:doh: :18red: :doh:
and when we woke up and discovered the blue ribbon he said... achh laddy I don't know where ye been but I see ye took first prize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.