Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Build a lightweight 1100 Goldwing again. I don't want to spend 32,000 on an 1800cc bike.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I agree on the too expensive.I do like the 6 cyl motors and all the room on my 1500 though.Just soooo smooooth.I'm sure I'll end up with an 1800 at some point when all the good 1500's are gone.Even then it will be a good used one.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
All toys are expensive. To buy and to maintain, but the money spent on enjoying and enriching our lives, is worth every penny.:waving:

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the money is far from all of my complaint. Its too heavy, too bulky and to complex. Oh sure I can fix it. With a Checkbook. No other tool will work. They are worse then HD, usually you can find a $50 part somewhere that will work. On the Goldwing its all $250. everything.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
the money is far from all of my complaint. Its too heavy, too bulky and to complex. Oh sure I can fix it. With a Checkbook. No other tool will work. They are worse then HD, usually you can find a $50 part somewhere that will work. On the Goldwing its all $250. everything.
Actually being a Honda you really don't have to buy a lot of parts for any of them.The waterpump for my 1100 and the stator for my 1200 were way more expensive than anything I've had to fix on the 1500.
Bulky yes,but unless it's laying on it's side and it needs picked up none of them feel heavy to me.Once they're moving they all feel and handle pretty light and I've had at least one of every model but the 1800 over the last 25 or so years..The 1800 probably isn't a lot more complicated to work on than the 1200 fuel injected models are.

I would agree that there are a lot of people the would like a smaller/simpler Wing,but I love the size,comfort and handleing of the one I have now.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
At today's prices a smaller wing would still probably sell for $20,000.00 or better. Toys are expensive.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about you, but if Honda offered a carbon fibered 1100 Goldwing in the 700 pound range with nothing but a radio, I would probably be all over it.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
I don't know about you, but if Honda offered a carbon fibered 1100 Goldwing in the 700 pound range with nothing but a radio, I would probably be all over it.
Better get your checkbook out Bro. They've been making them for years. Called the ST series.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. I'm riding around on a beat up 1200 that constantly needs repairs. I could afford to get a well worn 1500, but it might have issues too, and be a lot harder to work on. I've had the 1200 apart so many times I can work on it in the dark. I don't see any reason why the Goldwing ever needed to get any bigger than a 1200/four, and I don't see why the bike itself ever needed to get physically bigger. The 1200 was a luxury land yacht back in it's day. It does everything a large touring bike needs to be capable of doing, yet still somehow manages to retain the feel and handling of a motorcycle. A LOT of people are building trikes out of the 1500 and 1800, the most likely reason I can think of is they are simply too big for them to handle as a two wheeler. Oh, the ST1100/1300 is not a replacement for the 'Wing, the riding position is all wrong. It's one of those "lean forward" bikes. The above is strictly my opinion.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I want the GL1100 Interstate, no options.

I finally had a chance to sit on the new FB6. Nice, but still too big, and with a huge loss in carrying capacity. Give me a brand new 1100 or 1200 Interstate please. And hold the stereo.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Started riding an 1100 in 92. Road it until last year when I bought my first 1500. I must say the difference was like night and day. If I have to sacrifice a little extra to get an even nicer ride, such as the difference between these two, then I will. My answer to the problem of cost (somewhat anyway) is wait a while. Don't be the first on your block to own it. Let others own them first and work out all the kinks. Then you get to pick it up for less. As for weight? I agree with what has already been said. Endless it's on it's side, I don't notice any difference. Currently have a 99SE and can't wait for the day I get an 1800. Though I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it. A lot of people say they will stick to the 1500 as long as they are around. Maybe I'll go test ride one this summer, then I'll know if I'll want one at all. I guess the important thing is that you ride.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The difference between the 1100 Interstate and the 1500 is huge alright. Thing is I much prefer the 1100. Much more motorcycle like. I like motorcycles with some character, and the 1100 has it. The 1500/1800 are just to refined, to sanitized. They isolate you to much from the motorcycle experience.

That being said, I'm about to start looking for a 1500, because my 1200 is falling apart. I would 10 times rather have an 1100 or another 1200, but they are getting to old to be as trustworthy as I would like, and parts availability is becoming an issue.

IMO, Honda has simply gone to far with the Goldwing. Remember the original Honda Civic (car)? Look at the new ones. Same thing with the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Sentra and Altima. They keep making them bigger, fancier, and more expensive, until they have to introduce another model to take the place of the original (Fit, Versa, and Yaris) The Japanese seem to have a problem with that. Honda needs to introduce a new smaller bike (still capable of cross country 2 up riding) to replace the original Goldwing, for those who don't need, want, or can't afford the current one. Something fully faired, with bags and trunk, maybe around 1000cc

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I hear everyone saying how they want a smaller Goldwing. Well Honda built several smaller bikes. The ST 1100 the ST 1300. And last year the NT700V. And the NT700V is leaving because no one bought them. I have owned 1100, 1200, several 1500's and now a 1800. I am older rider and very old school. But the 1800 is by far the best Goldwing ever built. I agree it don't look like a CB 750 from the 70's. But it sure rides a lot better.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The ST1100 and ST1300 were SPORT touring bikes, and I cannot handle the riding position. I absolutely have to have an upright riding position.

The NT700V might have been a winner at 1000cc and with a standard trunk, but it cost way to much for a 700cc bike, and 700cc is not enough to carry a passenger and luggage cross country. It also had an issue with the pegs being to far back. I need a 90 degree knee angle. The did come close. I would have been interested if it had come standard with the trunk, a standard riding position, and 1000cc. It was certainly priced high enough to have had those things.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
The ST1100 and ST1300 were SPORT touring bikes, and I cannot handle the riding position. I absolutely have to have an upright riding position.

The NT700V might have been a winner at 1000cc and with a standard trunk, but it cost way to much for a 700cc bike, and 700cc is not enough to carry a passenger and luggage cross country. It also had an issue with the pegs being to far back. I need a 90 degree knee angle. The did come close. I would have been interested if it had come standard with the trunk, a standard riding position, and 1000cc. It was certainly priced high enough to have had those things.
With a few simple additions, like riser kit for the bars and custom lowered seat, the ST's can become a comfortable tourer and that comes from someone who finds the Goldwing, sit up and beg position the only comfortable one to ride.:)

I think it very unlikely that it will ever happen, but I must agree that it would be nice is Honda were to (additionally) introduce a retro GL1000 or 1100 much on the same lines as the Valkyrie to look at and then owners could fit what they liked to it, in terms of accessories, or keep it absolutely stock if they so wished.
That said, since Soichiro Honda passed away, Honda have changed tack and there is no longer a visionary to lead them to try such ideas.

·
Administrator
24,998 Posts
It is a GOLDWING, the flag ship of motorcycles. It is not going to be made smaller, lighter, simpler or anything of the sort. If you want something smaller get a sport tourer.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.