Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any Regrets going 1800???

I'm a new Goldwing owner...3 months old with a 1994 SE. IMO, there's a smokin deal in southern Colorado for a 2008 GL1800 (only Premium Audio) with 12k miles for $14k asking.
I'm tempted, and believe it or not the wife says "LET'S GO GET IT!". We can't really afford it, but here's the question thrown out there.
Has anyone that went to an 1800 from being a 1500 owner regretted the move? What are the things you miss about the 1500?
I'm even tempted to just go get it and resell it up here in Denver, but I'm gun-shy that I will fall in love...and be in big debt.

Thoughts/comments??? :?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Hi Coloradowing and I should welcome you to the forums here. :waving:

Your question posed, takes the thread off topic here, so I will just give a brief answer. Maybe ask the same question in a new thread, or do a search and you will find a good few threads about that very subject.
There have been one or two who have regretted the move, but in general the majority have not. The couple of key, minor disadvantages are a slight reduction in luggage space and the seating position favours the passenger rather than the rider. The fairing gives slightly less wind protection, but all the above are small things. Hope that helps a little and do ask again in a dedicated thread. :waving:

In answer to Dave0430, I would agree, I would not want to see a change of the Wing to something smaller. Leaving the flagship model to progress as it is, I would only say that it might be nice if they introduced another model that caters for those who may want a modern equivalent of an old 1000 or 1100. Sports/tourers never match up to the consumate tourer that a Goldwing is.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
don't get me wrong I love the new Wings. But its not something I would want, I don't want a integrated circuit with wheels. give us a Wing around 1100CC fuel injected, lightweight fairing, trunk and bags with a nice dual seat.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
don't get me wrong I love the new Wings. But its not something I would want, I don't want a integrated circuit with wheels. give us a Wing around 1100CC fuel injected, lightweight fairing, trunk and bags with a nice dual seat.

It would be a nice addition to the line but it should not be called a goldwing, they should have reserved the name "silverwing" for that.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
It would be a nice addition to the line but it should not be called a goldwing, they should have reserved the name "silverwing" for that.
You are right Dave, whilst I have nothing against the Silverwing scooter that took the name after the mid sized tourer, when they did it, I thought it was wrong to label it such. :bow:

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
In answer to Dave0430, I would agree, I would not want to see a change of the Wing to something smaller. Leaving the flagship model to progress as it is, I would only say that it might be nice if they introduced another model that caters for those who may want a modern equivalent of an old 1000 or 1100. Sports/tourers never match up to the consumate tourer that a Goldwing is.
The Goldwing is a luxury tourer and we become oxymoronic if we ask for a luxury tourer that doesn't allow us to tour in luxury. Part of the allure of a Wing is the "Land Barge" image, as challenging as the price and service can be. Cappucino anyone?

Does anyone remember the Cadillac Cimmaron, a small Caddy based on the Cavalier chassis? Few people remember them because even fewer bought them.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I don't see any reason why the Goldwing ever needed to get any bigger than a 1200/four, and I don't see why the bike itself ever needed to get physically bigger. The 1200 was a luxury land yacht back in it's day. The above is strictly my opinion.

Nope, not strictly your opinion.

I imagined a GL1200 evolving (think KLR650 and its essentially unchanged for decades, just technologically superior) into a, lighter, better gas mileaged, wind tunnel designed, synthetic running, fuel injected, electronic-computerized, adjustable windshield, factory LED bristling sex machine instead of fatter, slower, harder to work on, harder to turn, lower gas mileage, harder to just hop to the store, more expensive version of what our Asian brother engineers are otherwise outstanding at accomplishing.
My 86 was built in Ohio, spent its whole life here and I love it.
Maybe a hair too big to run grocery shopping, but doable, easy enough to work on, does NOT need a reverse gear..wth..if I wanted a tractor, I'd have got one...I Want a new one, but imagine by the time I buy one thats 10 years old, its going to be an expensive pain in the ass to maintain.

your mileage may, or may not, vary. regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me tell you about the 1800.
Before l bought mine (2002 model) l was actually looking for an 1100, 1200 or 1500 depending on price/condition etc, the 1800 was way beyond my budget anyway.
In the mean time l researched everything l could find, the pros/cons for all of them, 1800 included, and to be honest my vision of the perfect bike was an optioned up 1500 SE, l didnt really like the bubbly sportier look of the 1800 or the age of the others.
Finally l tracked down a 1500 SE in great condition at a good price, l was just about ready to settle when the seller disappeared off the face of the planet, and at the same time an 1800 in perfect condition shows up for the same money, l originally only wanted to use the 1800 as leveridge to get a better price on the 1500, but l couldnt wait forever and this bike was a bargain (even if it wasnt exactly what l wanted) so l bought the 1800.
Since owning it l find it veeery heeeavy at low speeds ,its boxes dont hold as much stuff as the 1500 , the fans go the wrong way forcing me to watch the temp in traffic,its not quite as pretty as the 1500 from the front, and the oh mighty Honda tells lies about the "sportsbike like handling" in reality it handles like a pig (worse than my old GL 1000}
That being said the 1800 is awesome and l wouldnt swap it now for any other bike,for a start until you have ridden a six cylinder you havnt lived yet, there is something very special about them l cant explain you just have to know , the 1500 is a great bike but nothing like an 1800 in so many ways, even when you see them side by side the 1500 looks very dated, and with ABS and a fuel injected 120 HP six cyl motor its the king, there are so many little things l just cant list them all, but l can say Honda has done great with the evolution of the goldwing and l just hope they keep it up.
l know they are getting a little too big and clumsy and we all love the old 1100s and 1200s of the past, but there is nothing better than a big arsed sure footed bike that towers over everything else with its God like presence that demands respect even when parked.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Remember when Cadillacs were HUGE cars? I do. But not any more. There used to be a lot of huge cars on the road, now they are all gone (albeit mostly replaced by huge trucks and SUVs) but luxury cars still exist, just smaller. The Goldwing has already gotten so big many cannot ride it without turning it into a trike. Honda needs to back off a bit. Remember the VTX1800 and the Vulcan 2000? They're gone now. They simple went to far, got to big and heavy, and they didn't sell.

First the Japanese companies were in a race to see who could build the fastest sport bike, then they got into a race to see who could build the biggest v-twin. Then Triumph came out with a 2300cc triple. 2300cc!! That's bigger than the engine in my car.

Enough is enough. It is time motorcycles returned to being motorcycles. IMO, these huge cruise ship sized bikes sort of defeat the purpose of riding a motorcycle in the first place. The 1800 is bigger than Honda's mid '70s Civic ( a great little car which I wish was still around)

Honda should at least realize that they have reached, and in many ways exceeded reasonable limits with the 1800, and not make it any bigger. Not only has the size become absurd, but the price has as well. $30K for a motorcycle? You can buy some fairly nice cars for HALF that

And I still wish Honda would build a no frills model for those who just want to ride, and need something big enough to carry a passenger and luggage. I for one cannot imagine listening to a stereo while riding, though I realize I seem to be in the minority there.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Riding any other bike than the 1800, I look like Yogi Bear on a mini bike. Personally I like the size of my Goldwing. Will it get too heavy for me to safely operate? I am sure that one day it will, but until then, I like and appreciate the size. As for cost, yes they are way too expensive, but it seems that all bike prices are going up. Glad I bought mine in 2005, and it has kept a good resale price, because of the increase in price of the new bikes. Think I will keep mine until I can't safely ride it anymore. Then, maybe I will buy a T-bucket or some other type of toy to tinker around in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Toys are expensive"

I always have a problem with this because I've not owned a car in 6 years. My bike is not a toy. It's how I get to work, grocery and doctor. (Well, okay. I DO steal the wife's Civic occasionally for the random rainy midnight bathroom tissue run)

What I wouldn't give to have a brand new 1980 XS650 (or insert your favorite here). Old, simple, cheap and dependable machines. I think Honda did a good thing with the "retro" CB1100 thing. If enough people buy them, they may consider more approaches like that.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Yea, I have a 1500 and the Silverwing 600cc. The Silverwing is a great motorcycle. I am on my 2nd one. I had an 02 and now I have an 05.

By the way, it is faster than my 1500 and it will smoke most of the V-twins out there. Fuel injected, gets over 50 mpg and has quite a bit of storage capability under the seat.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The current Silverwing comes pretty close to being an ideal solo touring bike, probably the closest thing Honda makes to one, other than possibly the as yet unavailable CTX700. Both need more storage capacity, but both should be capable of carrying someone from coast to coast in comfort. And the price is right. The faired CTX700, with bags and a trunk, is as close as Honda has come to a decent mid sized touring bike IMO, and it is under $10,000. To bad they didn't make it a 1000cc

But I still want an up to date version of the Goldwing four, with full fairing, bags, and trunk, but with no gadgets at all. I can't help but wonder just how much all the gadgets on a new Goldwing add to it's price.

I have built a bare bones touring bike out of my '85 1200, and love it. I just wish it were reliable enough to actually use for long distance touring.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I'd love to have a brand new 1200 I think they are more nimble at slow speeds than the 1500's. The gas mileage is better than the 6 cylinders. The best part is the price is good if you don't mind fixing everything. I usually spend less keeping my bike running as my car over the summer than I would spend to drive my truck all the time because the 1200 gets such good gas mileage I can afford the parts.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Took awhile to read all 4 pages LOL. The wife and I got into our wing with a 1980 that was well cared for. We made it all fancy and started putting it in car shows. We lost that one in a head on collision in 2010. Lucky enough we got our 82 from someone that didn't know what he was selling.

That being said I would love nothing more than a mid 90's 1500. I rode one that a friend of my parent's owns and brings up to our auction on occasion. I just know that on what I get from the VA for disability, I will never get anything more than an 1100. Haven't tried an 1800 yet and I agree, with the prices where they are going? I doubt I will ever get close to one. Till then, our 1100 will keep us rolling. As for weight, I found the 1500 I rode just as stable as my 1100, if not more stable with the extra power on hand if needed to muscle out of a corner.

·
Magic Moderator
4,226 Posts
I wish Honda would bring back the GL1200 fuel injected version with upgraded technology.
Putting an external alternator on the engine and keeping the price affordable. Some people may want a smaller lighter Wing.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Riding any other bike than the 1800, I look like Yogi Bear on a mini bike....
Sethan I love that comment.

I am currently on a 1200 Interstate. I had the opportunity to send a picture of me sitting on her in front of a sign where I live. This person had never seen me before but had ridden an Sei for years.

He asked me exactly how big are you? He said from what I remember the 1200 is a decent sized bike and you make that thing look like a mini bike.

Had to chuckle - being 6'3" and having always rode no larger than a Yamaha XS750 triple I felt this bike was big. Now I do long for those 1500/1800's more the 1500 since it feels more comfortable to me.

Looking at your Avatar with your scooter and the wife, the delta between you and your wife is about the same as me and mine. I could rest my chin on her head but wouldn't cuz she would take out my knee caps.

One day they will make bikes in our size until then I guess we are stuck with the current genre of land speeder out there.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I have my 1500 SE now & true, it's heavy but with practice, I've become better & used to it. I enjoy the reverse option as I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get back with feet sometimes slipping especially with gravel. The big plus is that it's real smooth, quiet & enough power especially if needed & with passenger. I had my 1200 LTD & it's a nice bike. Gas mileage to my surprise is about the same. Both are great & comfortable for long cruises. They're not that expensive as the HD cuz the Wings can go a long way whereas for the HD, they'd need to be rebuilt again by around 75, 000 miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well here goes my first bike was a honda 65 then later i found 1971wing 1000 then a harley sport 1200 now i ride a 1986 WING Aspencade and love it everthing on it heavy
but my wife and i go on trips evey chance we get. I'm retired and she is still working for
a few more years. love the ride and quiet not like Harley the only thing that don't work is the cb radio can here but can not talk but that is ok for now.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.