Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
This thread is good reading....

The whole "bigger, faster, more expensive" thing has been the mantra of the north American consumer since 1945...so it's not just goldwings or Honda.

A current Toyota corolla is bigger than a late 90s Camry for example.

And a 1945 Harley Davidson is a tiny little bike compared to a new road king.

I have owned gl1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500 and would love to have an 1800.

But they're all different bikes, different rides....and I like each of them for different reasons...the gl1500 may be the most affordable bike you can buy today for two up riding in cold or wet weather for example....

I think the missing link in the motorcycle marketplace is something lots of people have touched upon in this thread:

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LARGER WHEELBASE BIKE WITH A MID SIZED MOTOR.

Aging north Americans need a bike long enough and low enough to be comfortable on and handle in traffic....and it doesn't need a huge motor.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
This thread is good reading....

The whole "bigger, faster, more expensive" thing has been the mantra of the north American consumer since 1945...so it's not just goldwings or Honda.

A current Toyota corolla is bigger than a late 90s Camry for example.

And a 1945 Harley Davidson is a tiny little bike compared to a new road king.

I have owned gl1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500 and would love to have an 1800.

But they're all different bikes, different rides....and I like each of them for different reasons...the gl1500 may be the most affordable bike you can buy today for two up riding in cold or wet weather for example....

I think the missing link in the motorcycle marketplace is something lots of people have touched upon in this thread:

THERE OUGHT TO BE A LARGER WHEELBASE BIKE WITH A MID SIZED MOTOR.

Aging north Americans need a bike long enough and low enough to be comfortable on and handle in traffic....and it doesn't need a huge motor.
True about the Toyota Corolla, and the Honda Civic, and the Nissan Sentra, and a bunch of other cars, mostly Japanese. But they have all come out with smaller less expensive replacements for what they made to big and expensive. Toyota has the Yaris to replace the Corolla, Honda has the Fit to replace the Civic, Nissan has the Versa to replace the Sentra. Honda has done the same thing with the Goldwing that these companies did with their cars, but did not come out with anything smaller and less expensive to replace it. You can buy any one of those cars new for under $20K, a Goldwing is several thousand more. If I am going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle, it will have to be a car or truck. The base Toyota Tacoma is way less than a Goldwing.

And yes I agree with not needing a huge motor. I have only put about 10,000 miles on my 1200 so far, due to continuing breakdowns, but I absolutely see no reason for a bigger engine. It easily cruises at freeway speeds nowhere near redline. It is not a crotch rocket, it is a highway touring bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have owned all 3 last generations. As to expensive well that has allot to do with our weak deflated dollar. Shipping costs due to oil prices being high because of our weak dollar are also a factor. Yes the bike is priced high. A screemin eagle 110 costs way more and that's air cooled. The wing kicks its butt. It could come with more options standard like a CB, spoiler, HIDs and integrated Bluetooth technology. The Nav should be touch screen. The price might be a little more palatable with the above additions. I think having owned a 1200, 1500 and a 1800 I would have to say the 1800 feels the lightest and most nimble of the bunch. I am 6'1" 245 so it is in scale with my bodies frame. I would have to compare purchase price, maintenance, repairs and longevity against the competitor BMW and the infamous Geezer Glides before saying the wing is overpriced. We get a machine that with proper care and maintenance can and has gone 300K. How many other bikes can make that claim? Give us a little more for our dollar Honda. Add a few of the above options as standard equipment without raising the price. I forgot the 6 speed or dual clutch that was on the drawing board. The local rep said it was canceled when the market tanked in 2010.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree on the too expensive.I do like the 6 cyl motors and all the room on my 1500 though.Just soooo smooooth.I'm sure I'll end up with an 1800 at some point when all the good 1500's are gone.Even then it will be a good used one.
Revisit the 1500 with EFI, sounds good to me. Has all the power I would need, possible gear it for better fuel economy and lower RPM at highway speed. Above 3000 rpm I can almost watch the gauge move and fix the fuel gauge for accuracy. (reads empty w/ about 2 gal left) but I understand that I could bend the float as it runs straight in a tear drop tank to fix this.

I did see that someone thought (in their opinion) that the 1800 was not an improvement but did like and would take the EFI, and still liked to larger cargo capacity of the 1500.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I agree on the too expensive.I do like the 6 cyl motors and all the room on my 1500 though.Just soooo smooooth.I'm sure I'll end up with an 1800 at some point when all the good 1500's are gone.Even then it will be a good used one.
Just a quick update.
I did end up with a good used 1800 in June.Not because there are no good 15's left.There are still lots out there.It was a money thing.This one popped up at the same time I was gonna pull the trigger on a low mile 2000 SE for about the same money.After putting 6 or 7k miles on the 1800(riding cut short by a broken wrist a month ago)and spending a bit of money and time trying to make this thing ride better,I'm really doubting I made the right decision for us.I say us because I would say over 99% of my riding is two up.There are a couple of things I do like about the 18,but there are more I like about the 15.Saying all that it would be hard to go back now.I know that sounds stupid and I do love the 15,so my point is that if I had a choice of Wings the way I wanted it would be a brand new 1500 with fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I am waiting till 2014 for the new Valkyrie.

I really like the looks of that bike.

I am a naked bike fan, I am solo rider so off come the passenger seat and grips.

I already have a car and dont need all the extra plastic and windshield around me.

and at 750-lbs wet and a very low CG. I think I will be very happy, $16-$17k for the new Valk.

Cartridge front forks suspension, and better rear suspension than stock GL1800.

It is said that the new valk feels like a Much lighter bike, more like a 750 size bike, because of the low CG

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
At 6'4" and 280+? I'm just happy as hell there is a big - reliable - bike on the market, with the power to get my big ass (with Moma Bear and a full load) down the road in style, with power left over to do what I want to do. Although the other half is considerably lighter than I am ... she is 6' tall. I (her too) have been living in a world built for munchkins most of my life. The 18's are just what is needed.

True they are complex. However, things like the fuel have changed over the years. Even so ... I do appreciate the octane range of the GoldWing, when on the road. Lot of bikes (and cars too) have a very narrow octane range. Anyway ... you're not going to do that without some modern technology.

Parts? You bet they cost money. Traxxion was not cheap. Torq Loops were not only not cheap ... but a big gamble. However, the GoldWing accepted this change without complaint!

Too heavy? Nope. It is a heavy machine ... nothing I can't handle. There are plenty of bikes, on the market, for those that can't handle it.

We all get old ... me too. When the time comes I can't hold-it-up? Maybe a trike ... or I'll just give it up. But not today.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only way to get me off my GL1800 would be to pry my cold dead hands off the grips. Love my second wife.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I've had the 1500 for 14years and loved it. I knew the thing inside out and upside down but never had to dig in to the engine as that part was very dependable for me. The 1800 I now have is night and day difference for me. I love the sport feel of it which gives it a croch rocket type of suspension. I loved my 1500 but when you went in to a turn it let you know that it can do it but that it was a big bike. The 1800 doesn't have that big bike feel to it for me, which is what I really like.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Currently the Gl1800 is just outside my cash purchase range, i would possibly buy new but nobody is selling new Goldwings in Alaska, special order only.
Just awhile ago i got off the phone with a fella in Anchorage, has a very nice 86 Yamaha Venture Royale, at that time it was superior to the Goldwing in comfort and extras, i already own an 89, its my favorite to ride, yes i also own a 93 and a 95 Gl1500 so why am i getting another Venture Royale? They are getting rare cause Goldwings eventually knocked them off the market when the Gl1500 came out, in the lower 48 they are cheap, very rare to see on in Alaska though, so i am trading another bike for this Venture.

Bottom line is this, the Ventures have something i like, not much of a demand for them, everybody wants a Goldwing, but in as such as buying a new one i absolutely agree, they cost too much.
If they had a sudden realistic change then i might buy new, the F6b looks good but i can turn a Gl1800 from any year into an F6b. With reverse.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
The Goldwing is the best touring bike out there for now. BMW makes better electronics but they look like they have lunchboxes stuck on the sides. The wing looks the best.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.