Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We finally made it to Laguna Seca Raceway with our Goldwings. It was a beautiful Sunday after Thanksgiving with temps in the 75-80 range and no wind. The lead Wing is running a Yokohama Advan runflat and the chase Wing is on Kuhmo rf's. Best lap for my Wing was 1:59 and 1:39 for my sportbike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNqKOhX1r4&feature=feedu



I just added a second video for comparison of me aboard my sportbike. Not the best day as i had been blackflagged for sound violations and couldn't go full throttle and earlier in the day, my rear tire warmer caught fire!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsnU8yHu0fc
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,584 Posts
imported post

Looks like a lot of fun to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
imported post

That's a cool video. I'd love to get turned loose on the track like that. :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

After riding on our track bikes for most the day, it was so nice to be back on the comfy Wings. Brougnt a big smile back to our track sore bodies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dookoo wrote:
After riding on our track bikes for most the day, it was so nice to be back on the comfy Wings. Brougnt a big smile back to our track sore bodies.

Google for trackdays near your area. This last trackday provider was so cool (Keigwins) that we didn't even have to tape anything up and didn't even question that we both were running CT's. Hopefully they are as easy going in your neck of the woods.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
351 Posts
imported post

Woa, you guys are brave, not to mention skilled. Nice late braking action too. I'm sort of familiar with this track from watching Motogp on TV and the wings seem to go round it in no time. What kind of speed were you running in this video?

On another subject, what is that high-pitched whine from the 1800? Alternator or just the engine?

Cheers, Nicholas.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

nico wrote:
Woa, you guys are brave, not to mention skilled. Nice late braking action too. I'm sort of familiar with this track from watching Motogp on TV and the wings seem to go round it in no time. What kind of speed were you running in this video?

On another subject, what is that high-pitched whine from the 1800? Alternator or just the engine?

Cheers, Nicholas.
We are running20-30 seconds slower than our track bikes. It sounds pretty slow but Laguna is a 'flow' track and is least suited to going fast on a Wing. Scraping metal was definitely an issue, even with foot pegs which were 1 and 1/2" higher than stock. Hitting the apex was laughable because that only entailed losing more metal shavings. We made nice sweeper turns out of the track. Both bikes have full suspension upgrades with heavy springs and valving.



The high pitched whine is from the engine as the camera is mounted on the engine guard less than an inch away from the valve covers. Once in a while, you will hear a little foot peg scraping which is immediately followed by picking the bike up a bit to get more clearance. It was a very fun day to say the least.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
351 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info. Yeah heard a couple of peg scrapes. Suspension is Traxxion?

Would be great (if you plan to do this again) to see some footage of these wings going by from the side of the track too...to get an impression of the leans and the speed.

Also, have since watched some of your other videos. Scary moment when you lost traction coming off that dirt track! ( didn't seem to worry you though :) )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

nico wrote:
Thanks for the info. Yeah heard a couple of peg scrapes. Suspension is Traxxion?

Would be great (if you plan to do this again) to see some footage of these wings going by from the side of the track too...to get an impression of the leans and the speed.

Also, have since watched some of your other videos. Scary moment when you lost traction coming off that dirt track! ( didn't seem to worry you though :) )
We both went with Race Tech suspensions since they are based out of the west coast. Gold valve and emulators in front with 1.0 kg/mm springs and G3S rear shocks with 21.4 kg/mm springs, all done at home = less than $1,500 to go full monte.



As far as leans go, we lean them till they scrape and pick'em back up a hair to make the rest of the turn. We scrape engine guards, lower cowling, center stand, and pipes on a regular basis to strategically trim weight off the right places:action:



Funny thing about almost falling in the dirt was that I automatically put my foot down as if my legs are strong enough to straighten the Wing like one of my dirt bikes:ROFL:SNAP!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,857 Posts
imported post

Awesome to see!! I had initially said "IN" with the Speed Triple for the weekend. But, ended up bowing out. My friend Kevin went anyway with his S1000RR.

I see your GSXR wasn't appreciated by the sound-level instrumentation, huh.... Part of Laguna's charm.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top