Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

was woundering if Goldwingers travel mexico or if the roads are to rough for these bikes.Been wanting to bike mexico for a while on the east side,but probably better if two or three or so went.Thanks

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

captmpalmer wrote:
was woundering if Goldwingers travel mexico or if the roads are to rough for these bikes.Been wanting to bike mexico for a while on the east side,but probably better if two or three or so went.Thanks
The 1500 is a pretty tough bike, and I've had mine done plenty of rough roads without problems.

If I rode to Mexico, the roads would be the Least of my concerns.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I'm in Mexico 2 to 3 times a month, as we own a home there. The roads are not a problem. The cities will vary in how they care for the roads, but the freeways are generally excellent. When you can you look for the Toll roads, instead of the free roads.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I think we have a pretty active member who lives down there too... can't for the life of me remember his name though, but I know he rides a black 1200! :D

Also, not to hijack your thread, but speakingof Rusty's houses, when's the next time you'll be in the PHX area Rusty? I'm tryin' to put together a get together and not gettin' very far... maybe if we bring in some of the "adjunct" phoenix residents we may get a little more interest.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Starting Dec. 19 2012 All the toll roads for motorcycles has 50% off vs. car payment.

At this time, motorcycle pays as cars.

Except on Chihuahua State, since 2000 motorcycle pays only 50% off the rate for cars, sometimes it's free on some rallies.

There is a goverment web page (actually the toll fares is not up dated for motorcycles, you pays like car).

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
I think we have a pretty active member who lives down there too... can't for the life of me remember his name though, but I know he rides a black 1200! :D
That would be William86.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Kevin:

My wife and I are in Phoenix, the eve of Thurs 9/27 until Sunday afternoon.

Friday afternoon we're being joined by another GW-riding friend of ours from just down the road here, and I believe our weekend is somewhat "booked" but I'd love to fit in a get-together if you have one!

Javis:

That's great news!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

erwjww wrote:
blackknytecnc wrote:
That would be William86.:waving:
That's him :cheesygrin:. Sorry William86, I just had a total brain fart.

Rusty, I'll let you know if we wind up putting something together, but that sounds good for now.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

+1 on SENTRI.

I believe they're going to eventually merge all the trusted-traveler programs into one. Until then, SENTRI keeps the border-wait times to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

javis wrote:
Starting Dec. 19 2012 All the toll roads for motorcycles has 50% off vs. car payment.

At this time, motorcycle pays as cars.

Except on Chihuahua State, since 2000 motorcycle pays only 50% off the rate for cars, sometimes it's free on some rallies.

There is a goverment web page (actually the toll fares is not up dated for motorcycles, you pays like car).

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta
by the end of Sept. I will be at Delicias Chih., Using the previous web page ( there is a English version)

I will pay $95.00 Pesos for the toll each way, remember the web page is not up-dated for motorcycles.

See attached

Javis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

In Baja Calif Norte there is no discount for motorcycles on the toll roads as of yet. I would love to see it happen.

Right now it is 90 pesos each direction to our house. (about $7.00). 30 pesos at each of three tollbooths from Tijuana to Ensenada.

When I am with a group of riders we generally organize our toll money so that one rider pulls to the booth and pays for each bike. The riders go one by one. The toll booths can't take multiple tolls at once so it can take a bit to get more than a few bikes through.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

I have been to Rocky Point a bunch. http://www.puerto-penasco.com/ Raods there are good. I would be more concerned abot theft once I got there unless I was in a gated resort which is usually where I go any way.

>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Honestly, I'm not concerned at all about bike theft in Mexico with my GL-1200. The Goldwing doesn't fit the "target" profile. They look at these, with some disdain.

You have to remember, the CB-125 and various Chinese-made variants of such are the motorcycle of Mexico. The GL-xx00 bikes look like monsters.

When I have my Speed Triple down there, it another story, and I watch it like a hawk. The kids look at a litre sportbike and just drool.

Oh wait, they do that here in the States, as well! :)

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
imported post

I am in Bahia de Banderas, (Puerto Vallarta Bay), I rode my 1500 SE to any paved road, more than the ocasional potholes, I cared more for the topes ( aka speed bumps) since some smart guy with a position decided to spread a few almost everywhere, and there are not any standard for the topes, so sometimes they are big, I suggest you crank the rear suspension to allow more ground clearance, usually this allow to pass the topes with no problem at all.

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
imported post

I am in Bahia de Banderas, (Puerto Vallarta Bay), I rode my 1500 SE to any paved road, more than the ocasional potholes, I cared more for the topes ( aka speed bumps) since some smart guy with a position decided to spread a few almost everywhere, and there are not any standard for the topes, so sometimes they are big, I suggest you crank the rear suspension to allow more ground clearance, usually this allow to pass the topes with no problem at all.
As for the 50% toll pay for the bikes, it will start by november, Nice!
As for someone stealing your bike, Goldwings of any model are pretty scant, so there are not market for parts, the most usual stolen bikes are sport ones, a friend off mine just lost his Triumph Daytona 675 a couple of weeks ago, small scooters and small bikes, either chinese or japanese are commonly stolen too.
If you have more questions, just PM me.
Get full coverage insurance for the bike and you,this would sabe you lots of problems, since here is not mandatory to have car insurance,

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

William_86 lives in Mexico and rides his Goldwing there all the time. He might chime in later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.