Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I find it interesting that while taking day rides around the Wasatch front area I may see hundred of Harleys and may not see another Goldwing. As soon as I get to a motorcycle touring destination like southern Utah, the Colorado Rockies or Yellowstone I see about as many Goldwings as Harleys.

I bet we passed over 50 Goldwings on the road while we were touring this last week. I would say about the same number of Harleys and bullets.

Have you noticed the same thing?

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

I can't respond to you question because I haven't been anywhere cool on my Goldwing yet! What is a bullet? I assume you mean crotchrocket?

By the way, Your breath seems fine from here!:alco:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
Do I have bad breath?
It might have been the beans you ate:shock: :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I do see more Harleys than wings, but when I do see them, they are several in a group, smiling ,packed to the hilt and mostly out of state tags!!

Just enjoying life!!:action:

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

I don't see too many Goldwings around Seattle, any big motorcycles I do see around town are either Harleys or look-alikes. I do see Goldwings every time I go out of town though.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

JIMBO83 wrote:
I can't respond to you question because I haven't been anywhere cool on my Goldwing yet! What is a bullet? I assume you mean crotchrocket?

By the way, Your breath seems fine from here!:alco:
Yea, around here most people call crotch rockets bullet bikes. I assumed it was universal.

Maybe I'm the only one that runs into a lot more Goldwings out in the motorcycle tourist areas here around Utah because I am close enough to ride to these areas fairly easily.

I always get a big kick going down the road and seeing other wings ( my brothers) and in my experience they seem to really come out around national parks and such. Around town I rarely see them. Some days I feel like I really stand out being the only one on the road.

Hey, I got some mints!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Seems I've noticed the same type of thing. Lots of HD's always seen when I pass through a town. But when I'm on the open road that may lead to a tourist area, thats when I see the wings.When I got out for a ride a few times during the winter because it warmed a bit,,,,,,, I wouldn't see another bike till I passed through a town.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I remember riding 35 years ago and hardly seeing any motorcycles on the road.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Lets take a gander here . I am in central Fl . Lots of good riding area . I see lots of bikes , all brands . Think about it , You see Harley bikes in town , there easy to ride and get lots of attention. Maybe around the local pub . You see lots of them on Poker runs and such . There probly the predominate bike for PGR riders . If I notice one way out of a metro area on the interstate it might be a lone rider andhave a bedroll even .

You might find the Wings at a restuarant , dare I say DQ . :cheeky1: In town you hardly notice them . There quiet and slip around town in stealth mode . Out on the highway Id say the wings are more likley one bike or two ,not groups like the Harley folks . You say at parks ? Well yea cause they are out travelling across this beautiful land taking it all in .

Me being in FL maybe I see more than normal amount of Goldwings cause the state is full of retired ole geezers:cheeky1:. I'll enjoy my geezer glider and be happy to share the road with everyone else . :action:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
You might find the Wings at a restuarant , dare I say DQ . :cheeky1: In town you hardly notice them . There quiet and slip around town in stealth mode . Out on the highway Id say the wings are more likley one bike or two ,not groups like the Harley folks . You say at parks ? Well yea cause they are out travelling across this beautiful land taking it all in .
I can't remember the last time I stopped on the bike at a DQ. Come to think about it, I have no idea where one is around here, and I've been here over 2 years. Definately more V Twins and crotch rockets than Wings around here, but I'll see a couple every day.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I live just off the Interstate in cnetral Wisconsin. Most of the bikes that I see runnig arouond locally are Harleys. The guys that pass through on long rides are about half Wings half evrything else.
I am the only Wing rider at work and there are about 40 Harleys. Most of them trailer to Sturgis every years and ride around the Black Hills area.
There is one guy that is a TRUE touring fanatic, he puts about 35,000 miles a year on his Harley. That man rides everywhere. Last weekend he left Friday morning from central Wisconsin and rode to central Wyoming to meet his brother and ride back with him. He got back Sunday evening. 3 iron butts in 3 days. I hate to say it but he puts me and my Wing to shame.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Surely there are several members that are computer sharp and can do quick research and tell us the ratio of Goldwings to other touring bikes to Harleys that are sold.

But you have to remember, all of Harley's line are big bikes except the Sportster and all including the Sportster capable of touring - although several lack the comfort of a Wing they will go the distance. You start including all the Sport Tourers and other bikes in Honda's line you get a better picture.

All in all, I don't see as many Wings and Sport Tourers as touring Harley's when on a long ride. I just went to Vegas, LA and home, about 1300+ miles. Saw Harley's and look a-likes predominantly and very few Wings. On my trip from Idaho to Colorado to Cal last year I still saw more Harleys, but a lot more Wings than on the Vegas/LA trip.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Since any one model Harley probably outsells Goldwing and there are several models of Harley that outsell Goldwings it's most likely one will see more of them on the road. I see Goldwings every day locally and most often when in between cities on the open road the proportion of 'Wings is higher but still out numbered by Harleys and their clones. Marketing and having HD stores about as common as Starbucks means they sell a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I believe the Harlys are definately not in the class as the Goldwing, nor ever will be. They have the reputation as "A bad boys bike" while Goldwings are more Touring/ Man/Wife Bikes. It's all in preference though. You could not give me a brand new Harly. Now, they are copying Goldwings for a Touring Bike, but it will never be a Goldwing. I have seen more Harly's for sale in Gadsden, Alabama while riding and not even 1 Goldwing for sale, and I see 70/30 Goldwings vs Harly's here. Just my 2 cents.
Nightrider

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

snrlawyer wrote:
I don't see too many Goldwings around Seattle, any big motorcycles I do see around town are either Harleys or look-alikes. I do see Goldwings every time I go out of town though.
Kind of nostalgic. My love affair with Wings started at Leavenworth, WA in Sept .1980. I was traveling to Bremerton to join my ship and stopped to camp near Leavenworth. There was a tri-state get together of GW Chapters/clubs/whatever, and the town was covered in Wings of every color and dress. All beautiful. Took 29 years for me to finally find mine...:)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

In the last 3 or 4 years I've seen by far, more Harleys on the road than anything else. I'm not talking about the bar crowd or club events, but the touring guys. I used to see a lot more Wings, BMWs, and sport touring types. I travel back and forth from Colorado to Arizona twice a year so I see a lot of bikes on the interstate. I always get excited to see lights coming at me out in the middle of nowhere with the wind howling, black clouds everywhere and the temps in the 50's, 40's, and sometimes 30's, then a loaded Harley or two pass. Sometimes a Wing or BMW.

Anyway, to each his own. :waving:

It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you get to ride! :action:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

Well the main reason we see goldwings out of town is because there able to get out of town,For the harleys they need to stay in town to be close to the shop when they break down.lololol Just jokeing harley riders,But it was funny.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

During our road trip (to California and back) I didn't see a lot of motorcycles period, on the way down. After we got to the Woodland area, more started to appear. It may have had something to do with all the stormy weather we hit on the way down.

As the sun came out, there were a lot of V-Twins on the road. I'd see a GoldWing now an then, not that often. On the way back, I saw a lot more GoldWings headed south. The weather was much better then. I'd say, heading north, a third of the motorcycles I saw were GoldWings. I have to remember the weather thing next time.

Locally? I see a few, but not many. Lot of V-Twins though. It could be that a lot of the GoldWing groups are out early in the mornings, or doing things during the week when I work. In either case I wouldn't see them.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Out here in the land of the lost I will see the lone goldwing once in awhile out on the road, very rare to see two or more. Harleys travel in packs mostly, a lot more visible. It is funny when you pass a gold wing with a bunch of Harleys though, its like the eye of hurricane. Rumble, Rumble, Rumble, Silence, Rumble, Rumble, Rumble... It is rare to see a goldwing in town, but Harleys all over the place! On poker runs and such, the Harleys are once again dominant, but gold wings also show up in number. I think it is all about the philosophy you have about riding. Wingers seem to be like lone wolfs, riding mostly alone, but sometimes in company, while Harley guys are more like Buffalo, riding mostly in herds, but sometimes alone. (you ever notice harley guys kinda look and sound like buffalo too?:action:)
P.S. I know this from personal experience, I was a V-twin rider for a looong time! Now excuse me, I have to go trim my horns!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.