Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

This could work well in cars/trucks also. Folks around here are bad about pulling out in front of you, whether you're on a motorcycle or driving a "cage".

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I was reading something about this a while back.

I think the way it works is that each equipped vehicle keeps track of its course, speed and location and broadcasts it continuously.

Meanwhile your system is receiving this information and assessing whether a vehicle is close enough to be a potential risk.

If it sees a vehicle close enough it then attempts to compute when and where the paths will intersect and warns you if dangerous.

I expect it will eventually become standard equipment, but I think it will take a few years.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,168 Posts
imported post

I agree that it will one day be standard equipment on our vehicles, just as the same technique is used in aircraft.

But, we are a decade and more "out there" before it becomes much more than just a novelty.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

Although this may be a good technology, it will only work if everyone has one in their car and/or on their bike. Good luck...

Then again, here's another way "big brother" will be keeping an eye on you. What's next? The cops use the same thing to track you? To give you a ticket?

I'll pass.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,168 Posts
imported post

w5blt wrote:
Then again, here's another way "big brother" will be keeping an eye on you. What's next? The cops use the same thing to track you? To give you a ticket?
You are way too suspicious :action:

That thought never occurred to big brother :D

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Call me sceptical but I don't see how this could work. Just because another vehicle is in your area or even on an "intersecting path", doesn't mean the other vehicle is a threat. In the city, all cross traffic would be a threat, and even on a curved country road, a vehicle coming towards you would be considered a threat because its straight-ahead path would cross over yours. This alarm would be beeping and flashing all the time. The close presense of another vehicle in itself is not a threat---the threat is the other driver's unknown intentions---and that would require predicting the future!!!

I can see how the technology is intended to mirror that of the TCAS systems used in aircraft, but with aircraft it is a lot easier to determine threats. Any aircraft inside your airspace bubble, or heading towardsyour bubbleis a threat.

It will be interesting to see exactly how they will work...

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

This article says it flashes a light on the motorcycle if there is a car up ahead.

That's not going to solve the problem. What it needs to do is to flash giant strobe lights inside the CAR, not on the motorcycle. And if the cell-phone chatting cager doesn't notice that, and starts to pull out in front of the motorcycle anyway, it should jam their brakes on, turn the ignition off, and eject their keys out the window.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

w5blt wrote:
Here's my idea: when a baby is born they should tatoo a bar code onto his/her forehead. Instead of carrying credit cards, you could just swipe your forehead at the grocery store scanner and the money would instantly come out of your bank account. A police radar gun could not only read your speed but also read your bar code and...you guessed it...take the money right out of your account. With scanners on every street corner, the government could keep track of your every move. Crime would be eliminated.You would never need to carry ID or credit cards either.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There will come a day, when the freedom of your own ride and decisions will no longer be. Wires and sensors will be under every road, computers will drive the vehicles.

This technology is already available and has been tested in some other countries, and is in use on some of the commuter trains.

Enjoy while we can, as the world population grows, and things become more and more congested, the Jetson era will arrive.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
That's not going to solve the problem. What it needs to do is to flash giant strobe lights inside the CAR, not on the motorcycle. And if the cell-phone chatting cager doesn't notice that, and starts to pull out in front of the motorcycle anyway, it should jam their brakes on, turn the ignition off, and eject their keys out the window.
Now THAT sounds like a fantastic option!

Maybe we could lobby for that and you could get rich for having the idea GS. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

It sounds good and i am sure one day we will have a great system working but i cannot see this do any good, each time you go near a car it will flash, it will go beserk when in a town and eventually you will not even notice the light flashing.

Volvo currently have a car for sale that you cannot crash, it has sensors in it that once near an object it automatically put the brakes on, this technology is on the roads now. Eventually all cars and bikes will be tracked and when too close will automaitically brake, its just a question of time, in a short time all traffic and their individual journeys will be monitored and stored with details of distance travelled speeds through the journey and stopping times.

In the UK we have cameras looking after cameras and i do beleive we have more cameras per head that anywhere else, they have announced that cameras and sensors that can detect motorcycles are being placed on popular bike routs in the UK to track bikes and see if they are doing anything wrong like speeding. The cameras work by average speed over the course of the journey. This is taking peoples and at the moment bikers civil rights away, the technology of monitoring vehicles journeys has been in place for years but the human rights courts had blocked the use of them, it seems that it just takes a bit longer to implement them. So while all this technology is designed to keep motorists safe, its also a great way for the police to aportion blame as well.

While modern vehicles are crammed with devices to make us safer and the pedestrians around the UK has cut the speeds incertain towns and estates from 30mph to 20mph and is now considering cutting the rural speed limits from 60mph to 50mph. Instead of going for the bad drivers, everyone gets penalised.

Get ready to employ a guy with a red flag who walks in front of you while you drive along, we are heading that way

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,168 Posts
imported post

I have been thinking for the past several years to implement a tag flipper that would lift the tag to a horizontal position during times of my choosing.

There would be an expired tag from something else underneath for the cameras to worry with.

All talk and lots of bluff. Probably never get around to it.

I have had several cars that had a hinge on the license plate because the fuel tank filler neck was behind it. That would have made it easy.

Now.a.days the plates are screwed to the flat surface of the car's exterior :crying: so such an idea would be crude.

Hmmmm, maybe a vertical window shade? :action:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I have been thinking for the past several years to implement a tag flipper that would lift the tag to a horizontal position during times of my choosing.

There would be an expired tag from something else underneath for the cameras to worry with.

All talk and lots of bluff. Probably never get around to it.

I have had several cars that had a hinge on the license plate because the fuel tank filler neck was behind it. That would have made it easy.

Now.a.days the plates are screwed to the flat surface of the car's exterior :crying: so such an idea would be crude.

Hmmmm, maybe a vertical window shade? :action:
Suposedly there is a plastic cover you can buy online that appears clear - but it is of a material that when a digital photo is taken all they get is a blur - it is "illegal" in most parts and the law already knows about them. A buddy of mine got one back east. He had forgotten about it and was pulled over one day. Not knowing what he did - he waited for the officer who approached, hand on firearm and asked for license, registration etc... When he figure out that my buddy was not some deep dark criminal he told him why he pulled him over and said he had 1 week to get those off his plates - he knew his vehicle and would be "looking for him" and if he saw them on there again he would be arrested. Never said what for - just get 'em off there or I'll arrest ya.

Ithink the giveaway was that in - order to work - the plastic had to come out from the sides as well.

I too am a bit baffled by the article - but thanks for sharing - it is nice to know that Honda is seeing the application and working on it. With all the cells, GPS, CBs etc... I wonder as some have said why everything is not viewed as a threat - seems it would just be going off all over town.

And what about those aliens that drive around and coommunicate telepathically? :shock::action:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.