Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well the stars are all aligned.... well the moon mostly, it is almost full, and the weather forcast looks great so my wife and I will go for our first Iron Butt Saddle Sore trip. Planned out the route, gas stations etc.

Surrey B.C. to Banff Alberta return (in under 24 hours). Works out to 1640 KM, just over 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks. Yes, our plan is to start at around 7 or 8 PM when it is a little cooler so we get a couple of hours in before dark but most of the night riding is early in the ride. If all goes to plan we will complete the hottest portion of the trip in mid-morning and be back home early afternoon.

I'm less woried about being tired than I am about those pesky deer, moose, elk, etc.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I did one 2up in Canada years ago. I bolted out of Detroit knowing the roads were so much better in Canada. Took about 19 hours with a 5 min break every hour.

Remember to drink a LOT of water regardless of the temperature. The winds at speed will dehydrate you [even in winter temps] & causes a dangerous state of confusion which you may not even notice ... in time.

Let us know how it goes. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Good Luck and have fun

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advice Craig! We are always telling our scouts/venture group to drink, drink, drink (water) when we are out.We also ski patrollers and know how easy it is to get dehyrated even in cold weather.

Our basic trip plan is for 15 minute breaks when we stop for gas every 300 KM. Then we plan on a 30-45 minute breakfast at the half way point or shortly after. If all goes to plan we'll have about the same timing as you did, about 19 hours.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Good luck and have a great time. I'll be in Banff in mid August, but unfortunately I will be in my cage as I'm bringing my wife and daughter along to visit some friends. I would bet there are some glorious roads to ride on there.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I don't know how far it is from Banff to Lake Louise or Lake Louise to Jasper, but I was plotting a day trip north on 93 to just enjoy the view. Do I ever wish I was riding. What a spectacular road. I've spent time in Glacier National Park in Montana, but never went on up to Banff. It's gonna be great.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!

I have the Piaa 1100x's mounted and wired and will aim them tonight. Last minute checks of tire pressure, oil, etc tomorrow. We start our ride at 7or 8 PM Saturday.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I'm going to post a link for our ride in a new message. Will use my SPOT satelite tracker to show where we are near real time on the trip. We've move the schedule up and will leave at about 6PM Pacific, today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.