·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this as good a deal as I think?

1999 GL1500 with MotorTrike kit.
64K; 8.5 out 10; bells and whistles & farkles
Beauty of a Trike. Its local. Guy says he is
asking for payoff. I can verify mechanical condition through local shop.
$10,800
- Sirkitrider

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It's really hard to tell, there are trike kits and trike kits some are better than others. Then some installations are better than others. In this area the bike itself would be worth somewhere in the vicinity of $5000-5500 if in very good condition. That being said a good trike on a '99 ought to be worth that much. About the only way I'd know to evaluate the rig would be a good test ride putting the trike through all it's paces to see how well it handled and sounded. If it's still using the original fork without a change in the rake it might be pretty heavy steering.
There'll probably be some folks who know more about trikes than I do hop in here so let's see what they say.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Great deal. We shopped for a year for a 1500 trike. I would say from what I saw last summer that one will sell for around $15,000 after the weather gets warmed up.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
I'm with Paul on this one about the front forks...I got to ride a 1500 triked out this past weekend...One of my former co-workers bought it, and it was a beast to turn, still had stock front forks.....:?

·
Magic Moderator
4,862 Posts
redbaron the trike needs raked triple trees and it will handle way easier 4.5 for standard wheel base trikes and 5.5 for long wheel base models. Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
redbaron the trike needs raked triple trees and it will handle way easier 4.5 for standard wheel base trikes and 5.5 for long wheel base models. Just a suggestion.
Yeah, as others have said I am concerned about the rake or lack therof. Will check all that out the the local shop. The owner is NOT at all mechanically minded so he apparently does'nt know if it has been raked or not. Anyway to tell by looking?????

That said he states that it steers easy and a he is not a big muscle bound guy. I will ride it tomorrow and I'll have a better idea I suppose.
I'm not unhappy with my 1200 with Voyager kit and I know this would be an ungrade from that. But it is also a lot mo money:)
It IS priced well below what other triked wings are priced at in the area.
BTW, the kit is a MotorTrike, straight axle. From my research MotorTrike is about a mid-range trike kit???? I know some here have them. AND it comes from Texas, so that's a good thing, right? - Sirkitrider

·
Magic Moderator
4,862 Posts
As for the price it's good.
The way to tell is from the distance from the back of the fender to the lower cowl. If you know someone with a GL1500 and can measure the distance between those two points that will give you the un-raked measurement and if it is greater on the trike it has been raked.
But if he has no problem with steering it may have been done.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Test rode the trike today. Underwhelmed. Looks great. Rides and handles great.
Ran like CRAP. Left front forks leaking badly. Rear brakes barely working. A real shame. I think it still a decent deal IF, IF you wanna to all the needed work.
Asking price is fair??? I dunno. Owner was real insulted when I told him, "it rides great but runs bad". Oh well. - Sirkitrider

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.