Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I just bought an 84 GL1200I for $2.5k with 70k miles. I have put $1.2k into it since.

Ask about the charging and condition of the stator. That mileage is when the stator goes out on quite a few GWs. There is a cheap fix for it if the charging system is suspect.

Not a bad deal though.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

what would the cheap fix be for the charging system if it is going bad and how would we know if it starts right up?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

bring a volt meter with you and see if the system is charging. Check the stator connector for burn marks. That is on the left side of the battery for my GL1200I.

There is the 'poorboy' fix if the stator goes out. Around $400US for all the parts and a few hours labor.

Test ride it like you stole it and then check for leaks.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

radio is missing in one picture. carb fix isn't a big deal to a good Wing mechanic.i think you can get the price down by waving cash!!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

He may have the radio controller in the house for safe keeping and appears that it's a Clarion 1 system. pretty stock looking except for the addition of the floorboards so find out if he has the original drivers pegs in case you don't like the floor boards.

I'd wave $1000 in cash under his nose and see if he bites.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

btw, I grew up in Toledo(actually just outside Toledo in Oregon andit was all cornfields back then) and used to huntby you sometimes.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

A lot depends on your mechanical aptitude. Expect that you are going to spend more than you might think on repair and build that into your offer. Example, if you hire someone to do a first class carb rebuild, and pull the tanks to remove rust, and replace the stator, put in new timing belts, and rebuild the shocks, you are in for another $1500. All of these are possible even on a "running" bike, so make your offer accordingly. If it doesn't need it, you got a bargain, if it does, then you have already allowed for it and you don't regret the purchase. In general, I suspect that spending the extra $ for a wing in good shape beats the unexpected surprises of getting one that needs "TLC".

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Not a good deal, if it was in good condition and didn't need anything fixed that would be a good deal..$800 a good deal, 1,000 not too bad.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

At least it has a battery cover. :)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

The 1100's really don't have the stator issues the 1200's have. It's not something you should be terribly worried about.

The problems listed are super simple to fix. I'd say $1500 is a good price, maybe $1200. Just get out the voltmeter, check the three yellow wires for AC voltage across different RPM's, then check battery voltage.

I'd be more inclined to worry about the braking system, fork oil leakage and driveability if the bike has sat for longer than a few months.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Conley wrote:
I just bought an 84 GL1200I for $2.5k with 70k miles. I have put $1.2k into it since.

Ask about the charging and condition of the stator. That mileage is when the stator goes out on quite a few GWs. There is a cheap fix for it if the charging system is suspect.

Not a bad deal though.
:waving:It was the GL1200's that had the big stator problem. The GL1100's did not have the same stator problems as the GL1200.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I got a volt meter from JC Whitney, that is mountable on my 85 goldwing. This way, I can see that the stator is working while riding. Its shows 13 plus volts all the time and if installed where you can see it,you can enjoy your ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.