Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought this 84 Aspy 2 months ago. It shows a 10+. People everywhere comment on how nice it is.

Ya, it LOOKS nice.

I see the need for a new staor. I see brake calipers that need rebuilding. I see seized bolts everywhere. I see a ripped seat under the sheepskin. I see a dash missing LCD numbers and bars. I gotta pull in the clutch to start it, even in neutral.

This is gonna take some bucks.

I love the 84-87 GL1200. To me its THE bike. Queen of the Highway. I have owned 3 now.

Is it worth saving?? I mean is it REALLY worth it all??

Speedbird

P.S. No, thats NOT my house in the pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I think it's worth fixing, depending on the milage and how the engine sounds.

I got the same machine 3 months ago with 62000 km. It took about $800 to replace some dried exhaust gaskets, fork seals, calliper boots and some hard to find air lines on the back of the compressor that the mice found to be in the way of their nest. most of the expense being labour as I am far too lazy to do it my self. Besides the machanics kids have to eat too

Fix it up, enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Bro, that's a nice looking Bike!!!!:clapper:

Shop around e bay etc and fix that bad boy up!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I would love to have at a project like that. I figure that is the best way to learn the machine, bring her back to life. My 84 was all fixed up when I got it, but then I paid the bucks and the mechanic probably ate well. However, I am fully expecting to have to get into it anyway as something will surely fail.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

To me there is no bike better than a GL1200. Fix it and ride that baby! You'll be glad you did.

TDS

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Such a silly question you ask. Of course it's worth it, get cracking and fix those piddly little things. Go and sin no more!

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

I think the real question you should be asking yourself is about the actual process. Is the process and all the work you'll go thru worth it to you. I personally appreciate the process of going thru a bike (or other) and the accomplishment of getting it all done. When you do all that work and get it done, then you really know your bike and what's in it. It's extremely educational!!

When I'm sucessful at this I kind'a feel like it's really mine now.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Ride it 'til winter, then keep an eye on e-bay for parts. Parts should be cheeper in early winter.

I wish my '85A looked that good!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Speedbird wrote:
I bought this 84 Aspy 2 months ago. It shows a 10+. People everywhere comment on how nice it is.

Ya, it LOOKS nice.

I see the need for a new staor. I see brake calipers that need rebuilding. I see seized bolts everywhere. I see a ripped seat under the sheepskin. I see a dash missing LCD numbers and bars. I gotta pull in the clutch to start it, even in neutral.

This is gonna take some bucks.

I love the 84-87 GL1200. To me its THE bike. Queen of the Highway. I have owned 3 now.

Is it worth saving?? I mean is it REALLY worth it all??

Speedbird

P.S. No, thats NOT my house in the pic
It is worth it, but like right now as I am trying to coax my fork tubes out to rebuild them, I really wonder.

HOW DO YOU GET THEM OUT?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500, but if I had a 1200 like yours I'd still be well happy. She looks lovely and must surely be worth the effort. If you can just get the important mechanical bits done first, the other bits can wait, after all how important can an LCD display be:baffled:

There must be thousands of miles left in her yet, just look at what guys like Kyle pile on the mileometer. The grief now will pay off dividends, and if you caan't get help on this site then there is no hope, so many willing gurus etc, and you will get the parts cheep enough if you are patient.

Keep the moral up and tackle those important bits first. If I lived close, why, I'd even come round and help you!!:waving:

Pete

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Speedbird:

Sounds like that tornado that passed through Fergus the other day hit your bike as well...:cool:

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks guys, its just so frustrating at times. Everything I touch on this bike turns into a nightmare. Ya, im gonna keep it and fix her up. I guess I am expecting too much. I want the bike to look brand new and that might be an unreasonable expectation given its 21 years old.

The tornado went through here about 1 km from my place. Lots of damage, but no injuries.

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Don't do like the tornado, stick it out and fix it. Winter coming, so make the time. I have seen your bike and I was impressed. It is a very good looking unit, so it needs TLC, what have you got to lose? Take the time, learn the process, get pissed, get mad and then get happy that you actually figured it out and kept it on the road.

Stuck calipers are a great learning lesson as what works and what does not as far as penetrating substances go, want to be a tailor, then try doing the seat. You can't make it any worse than now. And if you want to learn the electrics, redo the complete electrical system. You have a great project there, like mine it is always a project in motion. Enjoy the process, it is a great hobby and after all it's only money.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Speedbird wrote:
Thanks guys, its just so frustrating at times. Everything I touch on this bike turns into a nightmare. Ya, im gonna keep it and fix her up. I guess I am expecting too much. I want the bike to look brand new and that might be an unreasonable expectation given its 21 years old.
The tornado went through here about 1 km from my place. Lots of damage, but no injuries.
Speedbird
The cosmetics can be a lot more expensive to take care of than the electrical and mechanical. Plastic stuff doesn't come cheap. Just dig in one thing at a time. Are you sure the stator has had it? Even if it does, if you've been following the forum, you know there's been a blow by blow description of stator replacement, even the source. Brake calipers are cheap to overhaul and easy too. Pads aren't all that expensive. I've taken on some really horrible rebuild projects, the kind where you get the whole load of junk in the shop and wonder what in hell did I do that for? If you look at the project as a whole it can be overwhelming, but if you just look at each piece of the job, one at a time, eventually you will run out of chores and the job will be done.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

My 86 aspy was the same when I bought it. ( 10 in the looks dept) nagging seeming endless problems Stator oil leaks etc $1400 CDn later and a lot of help from this forumI now I have a 10 that runs great I can't park anywhere with out some one stopping and commenting on the bike. If parked downtown where I can see it invaribly (sic) with-in 15 min some one will stop and walk around it Harleys down the road get ignored Good feeling

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks for all the support guys. I have too admit, it really is nice when people comment on the bike. I get it everywhere I go. Some people areamazed when I tell them its 21 years old. Many think its brand new. These types of comments keep me going and make it all worth while.

Im gonna tackle these calipers over the winter and get the stator done in the early spring.

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I own a 87 1200 aspy, its a great bike.

Its certainly worth doing yours up and I'm sure you won't regret it. My only comment is that if you are like me and would rather ride than fix then maybe you should look at upgrading before you take on the big job, but if you are like me $$$ will prevent that from happening.

Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.