Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to put some rear speakers on my 89 and I know there are a few brands out there. Add On and Show chrome. Any opinions ? My bike came with no speakers back there so need wiring harness and fader.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
You can buy the speaker / Fader kits for that bike, but it's not worth it. The radio doesn't have enough power to run all 4 speakers and make them sound good. If you hook up the rear speakers, your front speaker will degrade by about 1/2 in sound quality.

Worst $55 I ever spent!

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
+1 on that. 2 different brands of faders went bad in a short time also. Pretty bad since my 88 doesn't have a lot of power to control by those dinky little faders.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
You can ad an amp in one of the saddlebags, not hard to do, a lot of wiring.

There are connections already on the 1500 for the rear speakers. It is under the seat, toward the rear in a black plastic sleeve. You can just plug in a couple cheap speakers you may have laying around to see the sound difference, Mainly what it takes away from the front speaker. YOu won't have fader capability but it will tell you more if you have enough power to make 4 speakers sound good.

You may also think about just doing a front speaker up grade, may make all the difference that you need.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
The rear speaker wiring plug up front on the left side of the bike is not hooked up unless you make a "y" cable to hook into the front speaker plug.
Someone used their old fader harness without the fader to splice in and worked very well. Pic's on this forum somewhere.
I was going to do just that myself and add an amp but just never got around to it.
Search for front speaker replacements. Was some good threads lately if you can find them. Polk speakers was one. I have Show Chrome(too lazy to look up right now) I think from Niehaus Cycle for about $40, but had to change the crossover to the tweeter for more sound from it. Way more bass than the originals and all i can expect from small speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The speakers I just added don't add any power, just surround you with more sound which was worth the cost and time to install for me. The directions make you think the plugs for the fader harness are lower on the left side of the bike that they really are, look about 6-8 inches higher than indicated and you'll find them.

edit- I don't see how very expensive speakers will help.

~O~

·
Premium Member
754 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
edit- I don't see how very expensive speakers will help.
No one said anything about "Expensive Speakers".

I said speaker upgrade for the front. It may not be rear speakers that will get him a better sound if the front speakers are old, cracked or failing. Perhaps that simple change would be enough to get the better sound quality that he wants.

The PO of my wing changed the fronts out on my bike with OEM like speakers, Nothing fancy and the sound quality from just the front speakers was fantastic. Adding the rear speakers with a fade control, degraded that sound quality a lot!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a job to wire in a new
amp and small difference in speakers. Guess I'll just live
with what I got in town until stockers blow. Will use intercom
with helmet on trips.
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Don't get discouraged!

My 88 when I bought it came with speakers front and rear and an amp in the right saddle bag and fader near the key. Sounds great! I love it.
I did not wire it up, it came that way, but does not look so difficult!

Power in to amp, ground, speakers in from radio and speakers out to speakers. Looks pretty easy to me if you have the docs for the amp to know what is what.
Since I have no docs for the amp and all wires are red wires, of course I have know idea what is what!

But it does sound great and works great! I'm just scared as heck to ever take off that right side bag and have 16 red wires floating loose! lol

My 95SE seams to have basically the same radio, no amp, factory fader, front rear speakers, and sounds good also! Though I think I mostly have the front speakers on more than the rear anyway. Maybe in part because I bury the rear speakers under all the junk I carry on long trips LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.