Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for posting this here, but the technical forum has been my security blanket for many years. I bought my first GL1500 in '95 and replaced it with a midnight blue SE in Dec. '99. That bike has carried me all over the western United States over the last 13+ years and 97,972 miles. Today some idiot jumped out of the passenger side of a non- moving car in the traffic lane as I was zipping by at 20 mph or so on his right. Caught the door flush just as he opened it, lost control and hit the pavement. Bike has enough damage that it will probably be considered "totaled". I feel like I'm losing my best friend. My hopes had been to ride that machine until I was no longer able. It still cleaned up so well...... and ran like a top. It will be missed.

Anyway, I'll probably be on the lookout for a used 1800. All the knowledge that I've gleaned from these pages over the years about the 1500 will no longer serve me , and I'm sure it will take some time before I have the same degree of comfort and confidence when I work on the 1800. Oh well, a new adventure awaits.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Yes, sorry for your loss John. I would feel the same if it were my old 1200. You go through so many adventures together that you do indeed form a bond to a bike after years of riding it. Happy that your okay after the accident and hope you find a new baby soon.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry John.
I know your pain. 6 weeks ago for me if you didn't see it in the miscellaneous section.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/4-miscellaneous-forum/404993-i-had-accident-evening.html
Stu, thanks for calling. I'm so sorry I didn't know about your accident. I truly hope you will be back 100% soon, and back on the road soon thereafter. I'm pretty sore right now, and I think a shoulder will be an issue (getting it checked Wed.) but my physical stuff pales compared to what you've been through. I'll keep you posted as to my insurance payout, etc. If they treat me a little better it should help your case because our bikes were so close in vintage. Hopefully we'll both be Winging again soon. All the best for your speedy and complete recovery.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Stu, thanks for calling. I'm so sorry I didn't know about your accident. I truly hope you will be back 100% soon, and back on the road soon thereafter. I'm pretty sore right now, and I think a shoulder will be an issue (getting it checked Wed.) but my physical stuff pales compared to what you've been through. I'll keep you posted as to my insurance payout, etc. If they treat me a little better it should help your case because our bikes were so close in vintage. Hopefully we'll both be Winging again soon. All the best for your speedy and complete recovery.
Hope you are back in business soon with a replacement bike.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Gee whiz guys - glad both of you are OK - :praying: prayers and quick healing for both of you even though we have never met... Hope you both heal quickly and completely and are riding soon again...:)

Les

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Went by the dealer today to get the estimating process started. my bike looked a lot better sitting up on the center stand than it did horizontal on the street yesterday, to say the least. All damage is teflon related cosmetics. Repair will be probably very close to resale value, so the ultimate outcome awaits the adjustor's input. Nothing to do but wait. Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement, guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.