Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google Maps.

anyone noticed that if you have a route mapped out and it covers at least half of the USA, and you click in the middle somewhere, and swipe the mouse full left, to full right screen, that the orientation of the map changes?

It attempts to always keep "True North at the top center of the screen.
Today is the first time I have noticed this effect.

I have used Google Maps since they invented the things, and have swept the maps across the screen, but it always stayed in "flat view mode" previously. Like sliding a sheet of paper across the table.
No so anymore....

·
Magic Moderator
4,500 Posts
I'm going to have to check that out.

UPDATE
I just tried it and its cool it showed the mountains far off in the distance from Lovington and a perfectly clear blue sky.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not able to replicate ATM.

Sounds like it's acting like Google Earth, which goes into 3D view when you zoom in too far.

Are you able to get OUT of that mode easily? Not always easy with Google Earth.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a bit of trouble getting another Google map to come up right, until I used a bookmark to specifically bring up the flat mode map.

I was trying to compare two different views.....
I was in GoogleMyMaps at first which is a bit of a PITA to work with because it does not show the route, just the waypoints.

then I wanted the flat map and that is when I had to use a bookmark to bring up the flat map which shows the routing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I haven't quite figured out why there are three mapping apps from Google. Especially not sure about the difference between Maps and My Maps. But My Maps show the route, not just the waypoints.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't quite figured out why there are three mapping apps from Google. Especially not sure about the difference between Maps and My Maps. But My Maps show the route, not just the waypoints.

Interesting, now I have to bring up both maps again.....
I was curious as to why MyMaps did not show me the route.

a map is useless without the actual route showing up.

here is MyMaps for my Florida trip next March

nice route it has planned out, eh?

and here is a video of watching how just plain ole Google Maps tries to keep True North where it belongs.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tested it again, and I definitely have routes showing in Maps and My Maps, both.

okay,
wondered if it was Linux on the laptop?

nope, this is my Win7 desktop now, and I am seeing exactly the same thing, no routes.

I have looked at settings to see what might be amiss, but there isn't any mention of "showing route"

https://i.imgur.com/vjfzzBz.png

dunno what the difference is, but it would be nice to see how MyMaps is doing the routing.

are you using "layers" ??

I am not, just the default flat view.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just clicked on "add a line" and IF, I click on one of the way points, and then click on a different way point, it will then add a route between the two points.

is that what you had to do?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm not intentionally using layers. I can go to Maps and create a route with directions, save it, and then say "Open in My Maps", or while in My Maps I can say "New Map", search a placename, click "Add Directions", and then type all the waypoints I want, and My Maps draws in the route. It seems to add each of the destinations I search as an object/layer, and the route as a layer, automatically.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not intentionally using layers. I can go to Maps and create a route with directions, save it, and then say "Open in My Maps", or while in My Maps I can say "New Map", search a placename, click "Add Directions", and then type all the waypoints I want, and My Maps draws in the route. It seems to add each of the destinations I search as an object/layer, and the route as a layer, automatically.

Interesting, wonder why I have to be "so special" ?? :frown2:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Glad it does. All my GPS are North up as that doesn't get me dizzy with rotating maps. I hate rotating maps
Amen!
I wish there was some way to turn that crap off so it just stayed in proper orientation.

I don't care for the 3D effect at all either. I drive around finding addresses all day and I want a flat, top-down, north is up map.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Garmin 2797 offers you the choice of

• 3D
  • 2D
  • Top is North
  • Rotating in Direction of Travel ( and this is the one that I use 99% of the time.

Top is North does not help you in upcoming turns when you want to see what the road looks like.

the 7 inch display is a terrific asset for me, I can view how the road ahead is going to effect how I drive, or if on a bike, how twisty that next turn is going to be.

that is why on my Bike, the 2797 is mounted dead center, just below the dash.

However, 2 years ago, when traveling on my bike through Georgia and Alabama on a darkened sky day with it raining all the time, I had to stop and put the GPS in Top is North.... I got so confused as to which way I was going, it almost made me sick.... no sunlight to fix my internal compass :frown2:

an old country store, with Plowshares sitting in the floor is where I stopped and got my bearings.... a sandwich, chocolate milk, and a cooky..... then the GPS got reprogrammed so that I could actually tell that "yes, you are "for the most part, actually going Northwest, and now Southeast"... funny thing about that country store. I asked the girl at the counter " which way is North?" I got the funniest look from her, and she said I just follow the road. :laugh:

following riverbanks can really get you turned around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts