Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to put an old dog down last week so I went to the humane society and got my other dog a new friend. Don't know how many or of what breeds but that's the way I like a dog.
20200215_104237.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Good looking doggie.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
After you get them trained not to pee in the house.
what? you mean they will do that? :oops:

I hate the first year of living with a puppy.....
Tagalong found us roughly about March 25th 2019 while we were returning from the SE Meet 'n Greet down in Florida. he has only become decently good, about not wetting the floor about 6 months back.

the way we broke him of that, was to always make him stay in a cage with his bedding, food, water, toys, chew bones..... animals don't like to pee in their beds.... he is still placed in that cage at night, we do NOT allow him to run free in the house..... funny thing about the cage...... he feels it is his 'home' and he is protected from having to fight the other dogs from stealing his bones. he very willingly goes into the cage when we say "go to bed".

that cage is the largest size made for dogs that live inside homes... we bought it for our St. Bernard 12 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I love animals and think cages are for people, and I dont mean cars.
Unfortunately around here we have a lot of people that mistreat dogs. Some have them chained outside all day long yelping and barking.
Had two dogs, a pug and a jack russell terrier. I didn't particularly like any of them but treated them like family. We trained them to stay around the house in NJ even thou we only had 3/4 acre land. I was always wondering how come other dogs run away and get lost
The love of my life was a cat Pika Chu. She was roaming free most of the time and slept in bed with us. Unfortunately she passed away at only 8 years old due to a respiratory disease.
Some day when we 'll settle down from traveling we'll have an Australian shepard and a cat

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
Treated properly the dogs think the cage is a "safe place", not a prison.
for us, it has the benefit that we can sleep all night w/o having four paws suddenly plopping in the middle of bed.

when the weather is nice they are outside most of the day. our yard around the house is enclosed with a cyclone fence. the can romp and play as much as they like.... when they tire of that, they come to the patio door and scratch at the glass, or yip yip a bit to say 'hello, we want in'....

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cage is a good way to house break a dog. Put them in at bed time and take them out in the morning and put them outside. They get used to it pretty quick and go in the cage on their own when it's time.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
The cage is a good way to house break a dog. Put them in at bed time and take them out in the morning and put them outside. They get used to it pretty quick and go in the cage on their own when it's time.
that is a fact, when we bring the dogs in at bedtime, we just say "go to bed" and Tagalong trots to his cage and waits for us to open the door.

we have to keep it locked when he is not in it, because his treats are there all the time, chew bones, etc. and the other dogs keep a watchful eye to see if we left it open, they steal his toys.... he is just too complacent to argue with them.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My pup has only been in the cage 1 night and she carried her chew toy in it today and got in on her own, I leave it open during the day.

·
Administrator
58,404 Posts
We used to leave our cage open until Missy decided that all bones belong to her.

She hoards them and fights the other dogs off, so we take away and leave Tags cage locked.
That way his stuff is safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts