Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister bought this 75 3 or 4 years ago thinking she really had something valuable, then she let her son, my nephew, work on it. She and he think he is a great mechanic, I disagree. Recently I asked her if I could deal her out of it since they were never going to fix it, she agreed. Went to get it yesterday and was upset with what I saw. When I first looked at it when she got it it was pretty much all there, not it's not. Was sitting with the valve covers off and spark plugs out. I let him know I was severely disappointed. I gave her $200, which was too much, she paid $700 for it and I told her then she got screwed.
This is how you unload a bike when you bon't want to roll it down a ramp with no brakes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Hope the motor is not seized

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't mean I don't have most of the parts, just that the moron took it apart and left it. I need a (left side of course) battery cover and the rear fender is cracked. Also need turn signals, it had a fairing and bags on it so they were removed.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Hey Dave I have some left over stuff from that 82. Of course valve covers say 1100 instead of 1000. Timing belt covers etc. Holler if you need something I have.

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Dave I have some left over stuff from that 82. Of course valve covers say 1100 instead of 1000. Timing belt covers etc. Holler if you need something I have.
thanks, I have all that.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
But you have to ask yourself, will it be worth the time and money to get it back on the road.
The answer is YES!
I resurrected a barn find. I stopped counting the money I put into it and the hours that I put in to it. I will never get either back.
The smile on my face when we went for our first ride around the block said it was all worthwhile.
It's not about resale value.
It's something else.

·
Administrator
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But you have to ask yourself, will it be worth the time and money to get it back on the road.
That would depend on whether I planned to keep it or sell it. I know already the cost wouldn't allow any profit or possibly a loss should I sell it but if I kept it and rode it a while it wouldn't matter as much.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
How many of us have ever built (or re build) something just for the joy of getting in and making it work again, with no regards to the cost? I know I have many times. (my wife reminds me all the time)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Yup, that's a parts bike.

Sell it piece-by-piece and get your money back and more.

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
Several years back a neighbor bought an 199 Gold Wing from a lady who's husband had passed away several years and the bike was just sitting in the garage. The paint & chrome and all added accessories were in new condition but of course there was a lot of work to be done to get it back on the road. He rebuilt almost everything on the bike, carbs, forks, brake system flushed out the tank, changed to stator (early Gold Wings were known for bad stators), got it running like new. He rode it a couple of times and couldn't get comfortable on it. So he sold it, but someone got a beautiful bike that was completely rebuilt.
I know a lot of people have the room and time and more important, the knowledge to do that. My hat is off to them. Good luck with what ever you decide to do with the bike..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts