Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally got around to looking at the clutch fluids and decided to do a flush of the system. Suctioned out the old fluids. Below are pictures of the reservoir, the crud I scraped out, and the flush.

Sure needed to be done. I had no idea it could get that bad.

I'm betting the brake side is about the same and probably explains why the brakes are a little soft.

Reservoir

Crud

Flush

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Holy cow!!!! I've siponed out my reservoir. I've never bled mine, I just suck out what I can twice a year and it seems to be working, clutch works fine The oilis darker but I never seen crud like that in there. Where do you think that came from?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Predator wrote:
Holy cow!!!!  I've siponed out my reservoir.  I've never bled mine, I just suck out what I can twice a year and it seems to be working, clutch works fine  The oil is darker but I never seen crud like that in there.  Where do you think that came from? 
I have no idea. Dunno when/if the PO ever changed it. I'm guessing it comes from neglect.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Yep that is from not changing it regularly. I change mine once a year.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Yeah but it's a sealed system. I've brake fluid in a car that never had the oil changed and never have gunk like that. You'd have to assume that stuff is in the entire system, hard to believe one flush would clean that out.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Predator wrote:
Yeah but it's a sealed system.  I've brake fluid in a car that never had the oil changed and never have gunk like that.  You'd have to assume that stuff is in the entire system, hard to believe one flush would clean that out.
I had flushed it with clean Dot 4 brake fluid until it came out through the bleeder valve looking right. Based on what you guys have said I think repeat it a few extra times and then do it routinely a couple times a year.

Any suggestions on something better than clean brake fluid to use for flushing?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Maybe someone put some DOT 3 in there... would that do something like that?

I bought the rebuild kit for mine... and the brake master cylinder too... was going to try to get to them by spring...

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

us385south wrote:
I bought the rebuild kit for mine... and the brake master cylinder too... was going to try to get to them by spring...
Why are you going to rebuild them, are they leaking?

JB sounds like you caught it and are in good shape.Being a minimalist and not liking to throw money away so that if something really does breakI have the cash, my moto is

'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Mine looked almost like that, not as bad, but a fair amount of solids and slime at the bottom. I cleaned it with a rag then covered everything with a blanket and blew it out with the air hose, refilled, bled and now Im good to go. I will be changing mine out every year now, to simple to let it go.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

OMG... realize that your clutch slave cylinder is probably just as dirty... so it would be a good idea to clean that out as well (a flush won't do it)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
OMG... realize that your clutch slave cylinder is probably just as dirty... so it would be a good idea to clean that out as well (a flush won't do it)
Guess I'll be reading the Service Manual on how to get to the clutch slave cylinder next.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Guess I'll be reading the Service Manual on how to get to the clutch slave cylinder next.
> Easy... just 3 bolts to remove, then pull the slave cylinder off the rear of the clutch cover... remove the inner piston from the cylinder, and wipe all the parts clean.

> If you have a carbon emissions canister, then that has to be removed for access.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Predator,

The boots on either side were in such awful shape that they just crumbled apart awhile back... also that area of the upper cylinder was packed with some crud that looks very similar to this.... so I figured it was better to be preemptive than have it fail in some god forsaken place like Columbus, NM.... or Orla, Texas... or Dryden... or Sheffield...

Come on... mine is about 15 years old now and the re-build kits aren't THAT expensive. I think I paid about twenty bucks for one. A lot of times I use things like this to top out over the minimum order for free shipping so in the long run, depending on what I bought from where... it might actually be cheaper than NOT buying one.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I can see the shipping part, I never think of that. I live close enough to Cyclemax I just ride up there with my phony PA ID so I don't have to pay tax either..:ROFL:

The problem I always see is preventive maintenance seems to turn into a bigger problem, How many time have you seen "I changed the brushes in my alternator and now this light or that light is staying on", or "I was changing the tire and decided to grease the driveshaft and now I got a noise or vibration in the bike". Hope I won't be reading, "I rebuilt my slave cylinderforpreventive maintenance"one month later"I keep losing my clutch pressure, what can be wrong?" DUH....."do you remember monkeying with it when it wasn't broke, I wonder what it can be too?"

I am a firm believer in doing what you recommend only if I was near the cylinder doing something else and saying 'may as well rebuild it'. The problem with him going to the rebuild right now is if he has a problem, he won't know if it is gunk somewhere in the line or his rebuild. One problem at a time. If you mess with too many things and something goes wrong you don't know where to look. In your case the rebuild is good, in JB's case he wants to keep his problems contained until he's sure he's ok...THEN possibly rebuild the slave due to age. This is just my opinion, I don't reallyhave an opinionif you change yours or not. But you and JB have different situations. I wanna see JB...:action:not:praying:... Al- Cardinals fan all the way....:waving:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Predator...

Agreed... I understand the idea of "running maintenance" and suggest such for anyone. Heck... he may get years and years of more service outta that MC.

But...

On the preemptive side... not knowing what care (if any) my bike received before sitting outside for several years under a blue tarp... I have a tendency to see things as "systems."

The clutch MC and slave are a "system." I wouldn't even conceive of rebuilding one... without purging... cleaning and rebuilding the other. Both kits are less than $80 and new clean parts and fluid for my own piece of mind is IMHO money well spent.

It'll be happening here before my spring break ride for sure... I cannot afford to get stuck. Unlike you I am NOT within driving distance of Cyclemax. If I plan ahead... I get to keep the 500 bucks or more they'd easily charge to come tow my beloved Blue Ox out from the dead end of Pinto Canyon Road... or Rio Grande village... or Presidio... or anywhere else down along the border.

In the end our motivations are pretty much the same... it's just that the towing mileages between civilized points in Ohio and those in western Texas and the desert southwest are vastly different.

Preventative maintenance is far cheaper than towing out here.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I hear you on the not knowing. I did my timing belts because I didn't know and changed perfectly good ones.

I looked at JB's join date as Sept. and back that up with how quirky Wings can be and hope he can get riding time in and do alot of basic maintenance before he goes in deeper. I don't really know, he may be a master mechanic so i'm just assuming hean average guy like me. I broke more stuff and had the worst time just learning how to get the plastic crap off and on and was frustrated by the time I got into the actual repair on alot of stuff. You on the other hand have been tearing the stuff off and on for years, makes alot of difference. Hell, we don't want him to start hating his bike the first month, it took me years..:ROFL:..

I still have my breakdown kit in the left saddlebag. A can of lighter fluid, a cigarette lighter and a pair of walkin shoes.

385, as alway's I wish you the best, Al

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Predator...

Agreed... I try to never bite of more than I am willing to chew. Old bikes are funny critters... but I have only owned my wing for about three years... and that's what scares me most. heck the thing had 8 year old tires on it when i bought it. Both flat... and shot brakes and a dead battery.

What sort of things happened (or more importantly, didn't happen) during that period. If I am going to ride the thing thousands of miles away from home... into unknown territory... (to me at least) it needs to be the best I can possibly make it.

You and me gotta get together! Come on down to Eureka Springs this June to Nassir...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

My Wing has been shifting clunkier for the past couple of years. I tried different oils and some were better than others but still didn't shift like it used to. I bought a new bushing and push rod for the clutch master cyl. and they helped a little. My clutch did not creep and seemed to be working right but someone said their clutch lever had to be let out quite a ways befored it engaged. I thought mine was normal , but maybe it engages too soon.
I rebuilt my slave cylinder 4yrs ago and with all the talk of gunk in the master, i decided to check it out. Looked like coffee with cream in it, so 4yrs is definitely TOO LONG. It was too late to test drive on the road tonight ,so i just started it in the shed and tried it out a little. I have to let the lever out farther for clutch to start engaging and will be interesting to see if it will help all the clunky shifting UP and DOWN. Maybe tomorrow or Sunday.
Ordered the Bridgestone Battleax today for the front. Not sure when i will put it on. The Metzeler still hae some miles on it.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Bought a used wing some years ago and found the same thing in the clutch. Cleaned it out and got clean fluid running through. But the bike still didnt go into gear without a bang so I pulled the slave cylinder. In the very back of the slave there was a small deposit stuck not letting the piston do its full travel. Also I found because the previous owner had let it go so long that moisture had accumulated underneath all of the crud. There was a area on the lower part of the cylinder around the size of a dime that was corrosion from the moisture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.