Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all. This looks like a great forum. Today I picked up my new 82 aspencade. I think it was a great deal for everyone. The bike looks great, appears to run well, and has only a few issues. The seller found it in a garage. It has only 10,500 miles. He rebuilt the carbs and replaced water jacket gaskets, and put in a new fuel tank and tires, and all of the fluids. He put about 500 miles on it but didn't like it. I rode it home up the parkway at 60-75 mph for 70 miles, and grinned the whole time. Two issues: the temp gauge read very low until I got off the interstate, and then quickly climbed to dead center in the normal range. The fuel gauge read low in the reserve. He told me the tank was full, but about 60 miles in it acted like it was running dry so I rolled it to reserve and it came right back. When I got home I opened the fuel cap and there was a big hiss of pressure. Where should I look for a clogged vent, or what should I look for? Thanks, sorry for the long post. I'll add some pictures soon.
A follow up: I put 4 gallons in, so I guess he mislead me about "full". After a very short distance, the gauge jumped to 3/4 full. Then, for the next 5 miles or so it moved around between empty and full, spending most of the time near 3/4. The temp gauge was low/normal, but the volt meter I think was inaccurate, showing too much charge and too steady a rate for low speed around town stuff.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
imported post

You got a gorgeous looking bike there.

On the fuel gauge, to me it sounds like the slider in the tank has some bad spots. Might want to remove it and check it for corrosion. give it a soak in CLR to clean it up.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Welcome Film. My 1200 hisses everytime I take the cap off, so I believe that is normal. I'm not so sure about the gauges, but someone will be along shortly to offer some help. That sure is a good looking bike. Congrats on your new ride.

Joe

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Hey Film, beautiful looking ride!

My 83, just for reference in temp, runs about 1/3 on the gauge on the highway (outside temp in the 70's), and then around town fluctuates from 1/2 - 2/3 of the scale....heavy slow traffic will make it rise just a bit closer to the red mark & turn the fan on...

Fuel Gauge...could be just a crappy connector or ground wire...(you'd be amazed at what a lousy ground can do!)

Do you have any idea when or if the timing belts were changed? If not, poke that to a high spot on the priority list :)

Oh, and welcome!

Dave

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yea, the temps sound fine. As too the gas gauge, Not only could it be a loose connector at the gas tank but also could be what I found with mine. Mine had a loose connection on the back of the gauge it's self, tightened up the small nut and have been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks to all. I have to get out and check it. I suspect the grounds as well, and there seems to be some vibration in the fairing, so I am going to start there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.