Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, my new Dunlop E3 (front) came in yesterday(to my house) while I was at work so this morning I strapped it on the pillion seat, went to the shop and mounted it. Great to have access to a tire machine. So far so good, it rides better than the stone, really a stone, I can see from my mirrors at 41 psi(280 kpa) again.With the car tire and the E3 the ride is much better than with the stones. I intended to take it easy for a while but ended up dragging pegs anyway and lived to tell about it. Went about 250 miles and can say I am pleased with my tires again finally.
:):):)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

It always feels good with new tires. I went through 2 sets of the E3's and have no complaints really. They did begin to cup toward the end of there use (14,000 miles). But after all that I read about the GT Pilots, I had to try them. I just got back from riding 216 miles and I think what others say about the GT's sticking to road better as they break in is true. I live in NE Pa. and the roads are the worst here out of the whole state. But I did find some good ones, and BOY was it fun. The GT's really held the line in the curves. I'm not an extreme hard rider, but I am seeing a differance in these tires. Just hope I get the milage out of them.

Glad your the one that "started another tire thread":cheeky1:

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Glad your the one that "started another tire thread":cheeky1:
I ain't go no shame, what's the worst that could happen?

If this tire doesn't last over 10,000 miles the next thing I'll try is a Michelin Pilot activ bias rear tire on the front mounted backward. Unless Michelin decides to make a radial for goldwings before then. Get the fire hose out, it's about to get hot in here.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
. . . .I live in NE Pa. and the roads are the worst here out of the whole state. But I did find some good ones, and BOY was it fun. . . . . . .
6, 42, 220, or upper 209 ? :)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I've been reading on another site about wingers getting 21k miles on their Avon Venom Xs, and hear the Avon Cobras are even better :realshocked:.

I've never tried these tires [I have E3s] but they are credible folks, not the run 'em bald type. They sure have me thinking.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I just plain forgot about Avons Popeye, I might give them a try if the longevity of the E3 doesn't satisfy me. At least it rides good which is a big improvement over the stones. I did find a few wet places on the roads today but I'm kind of gun shy from the stones so I didn't push it on the wet spots.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
But after all that I read about the GT Pilots, I had to try them. I just got back from riding 216 miles and I think what others say about the GT's sticking to road better as they break in is true. I live in NE Pa. and the roads are the worst here out of the whole state.
Hey Winger77 can you fill me in on who makes the GT Pilots? We live even further north here in PA. and I will be looking for new tires in the spring. I think I am going with Kit's suggestion of a Mini-Cooper tire for the rear but am still looking for a viable front tire.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Thank You D-Rod! I appreciate the information. This tire business is really difficult. Hopefully Kit's suggestion is a good one about the car tires. I tend to ride somewhat aggressively and want some really good tires that twill last.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

They don't make the pilot in a radial for the 1800 though.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

The Michelin Pilot GT is made exclusively for the 1500. It comes only in two sizes. Front and rear.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

I've got 11,000 miles on my E3's and will be changing them over the winter........they seem to last OK but my only complaint is after they start to wear, they get noisey in curves. The good part about that is that I live in Kansas! :cheeky1:Straight roads and you can watch your dog run away for3 days!!:cooldevil:

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
......: Straight roads and you can watch your dog run away for 3 days!!:cooldevil:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Flyone wrote:
......:Straight roads and you can watch your dog run away for3 days!!:cooldevil:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
I like that one too:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I put new Avon Venoms on my 1800 just before the wife and I took off on a 3,100 mile trip. I loved them for the first 2,800 miles. Then I started feeling a shimmy in the bike. I thought it might have been cupping at first. I almost wet myself when I saw the bulge that had formed. It was soft to the touch, like foam, figured they wouldn't make it home so I called a friend to trailer us the last 65 mile to home. I put on another set but had to replace them when I picked up a screw in the rear tire at 700 miles.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Dang Hanko, that would make a guy nervous. Just another reason to go to the dark side, at least one of them would be a reliable tire. Did you thank God for letting you survive that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.