Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
looking at 1986 Interstate
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, well I picked up my first wing today. 42,000 miles. It runs great but naturally a couple issues. A exhaust leak and I blew a fork seal on the way home. I did check the charging system and it’s running 14.04 volts at idle. So guess my first order of business is the fork seal then the ex leak. But I’m super stoked to have one and can’t wait to get in a good ride!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Administrator
28,657 Posts
Looks good but I bet those tires are old enough to vote.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The exhaust leak may be right under the rear tire where all the road junk hits. I had the same bike even the same color! Enjoy it!
Thank you! I will start with the fork then address-the leak. It idles a little fast so I’m wondering if that is making the idle a little high. Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Be still my heart, love the 1200s...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum. Be still my heart, love the 1200s...
Thank you, I stayed up late last night and loved on her! When I got it she was dirty and looked like my grandson cleaned it! Got her waxed up and finally figured out how to set the clock! Also put a battery tender on. Just such a cool old bike!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Don’t run it much until you change the timing belts,most likely the original ones,BIKK LOOKS GREAT,what year.87?
Run some fuel additive in it for a few tanks,I just use injector cleaner but others use different stuff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don’t run it much until you change the timing belts,most likely the original ones,BIKK LOOKS GREAT,what year.87?
Run some fuel additive in it for a few tanks,I just use injector cleaner but others use different stuff
Thank you, yes already plan on the belts. It’s 17 here in Missouri today so no riding for awhile. I use tectron fuel cleaner. Used it in my BMW. It’s a 86. It was bad dirty when I got it but I stayed up late last night and cleaned her up!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Tectron is good stuff,I keep some kind of cleaner in my 1500 ever few tanks and if it sets for a few weeks theres no problem starting it,years ago it set for maybe a year when I was laid up and at that time I didnt use anything ,it sure wasent happy but I put some concentrated stuff from Auto zone in it and it did clear up after a few hundred miles.lesson learned.
if it hasent had the 3 wires that plug in to each other on the alternature ( behind the left side cover)soldered together,then you need to do that and eliminate the plug-in connector,it’s a weak point on the system.
I had a RT BMW but every time I rode it and the ride the Wing I just couldn’t understand why I had the BMW so I sold it

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tectron is good stuff,I keep some kind of cleaner in my 1500 ever few tanks and if it sets for a few weeks theres no problem starting it,years ago it set for maybe a year when I was laid up and at that time I didnt use anything ,it sure wasent happy but I put some concentrated stuff from Auto zone in it and it did clear up after a few hundred miles.lesson learned.
if it hasent had the 3 wires that plug in to each other on the alternature ( behind the left side cover)soldered together,then you need to do that and eliminate the plug-in connector,it’s a weak point on the system.
I had a RT BMW but every time I rode it and the ride the Wing I just couldn’t understand why I had the BMW so I sold it
Good morning, yes I just sold my R1100R. The BMW was fun to ride but not to comfortable. I just always thought the wings were so good looking. I got al winter to fix or do the maintenance that needs to be done. Thank you and thank all of you. Super nice people on this site!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts