Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, we have all had it happen. You are taking something off of your beloved machine, and the bolt isn't moving. You hang off of the wrench handle, and it still won't move. Drowning the offender in penetraiting oil isn't working, or you don't have a week for it to work it's way in? Grab your torch and a candle! Get a thin white parifin candle, and heat the bolt head until it is almost glowing. Feed the candle onto the bolt, where the head meets whatever it is holding in place, like you feed solder into a hot joint. Let the bolt cool to room tempurature, and then try it again. I guarante that it will come out nice and easy.

What is happening is that the heat causes the bolt to expand, breaking some of the corrosion bonding that is holding it in place, and the parrifin wax wicks inside due to capilary action, and lubricates the threads.

It is recomended that you replace the bolt because the high heat can cause the metal to loose it's temper; also, put the torch on the bolt hole to burn off any parifin that is left on the threads. Reinstall it with anti-seize so you won't have the problem next time. One more point, make sure that you don't use this technique near the gas tank, or on a bolt holding a meltable item, like fairings.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Never heard of that one before, I'll have to give it a try (not too soon I hope)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

Ah, if only I had known that before my current debacle with a stripped Phillips screw on my 79....

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

Well, you would lose your "temper" too if someone held a lighted candle to you?

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.