Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here goes nothing. Got the parts from Lowes for the shock compressor, except they only had 1-1/4" flanges. I hope they still work.

Any tips and tricks not listed in the article would be appreciated. Is ATF enough for two up riders or should I get another quart of 15w fork oil?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i assume since you bought the flanges you are doing the total rebuild with the replacement prog springs

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
imported post

Pictures! We want pictures.

As far as the oil is concerned. It doesn't provide support, just rebound damping. If you are replacing the springs with new Progressives, I'd say yes, 15 would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That's what I figured, thanks. Maybe a machine shop can grind out that plate for me. All I have is a Dremel.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

might be able to gouge it out some with a jigsaw,should be someone in the area you could borrow some tools from

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Did some of the work tonight.

I had trouble getting the circlip out. Turns out the spacer needs to be pounded in slightly so you can have access to the clip.

Also, the springs are under tension after the top cap is taken off, quite the surprise.

There wasn't much oil left and it was brown from the damper, black from the shock. Yuck. No rust or pitting though, but the bumper on the shaft was like putty.

I fill the shock tomorrow, probably 15w if the store is open. Otherwise it gets ATF.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

That rubber bumper thing is to give a little cushion if you bottom out. With the new Progressive springs you won't be bottoming out so that rubber bumper can go in the bin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.