Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a great running 99SE with 24k. I got to know it a little better today with my winter maintenance, and all the good information on this forum
2 sub filters
Plugs
Gas filter
Oil and filter
Lubed the cables
Air filter
Checked the vacuam and fuel lines for holes.
Battery tender
The original owner was meticulous with his care but had passed prior to me being able to get all his service record information, but everything looked well and cared for.
Ive put a couple K on it since I bought it.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
:claps::claps::claps::claps::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
OOPs - I missed the reference to the sub filter.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...2 sub filters
Plugs
Gas filter
Oil and filter
Lubed the cables
Air filter
Battery tender ...QUOTE]

Good Job!... You should also do the following:
-Service the drive train (grease both ends of the driveshaft, and the rear wheel splines; check condition of rubber boot on front of drive shaft)
-Replace any rubber tire valves with metal ones

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Now you're hooked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...2 sub filters
Plugs
Gas filter
Oil and filter
Lubed the cables
Air filter
Battery tender ...QUOTE]

Good Job!... You should also do the following:
-Service the drive train (grease both ends of the driveshaft, and the rear wheel splines; check condition of rubber boot on front of drive shaft)
-Replace any rubber tire valves with metal ones
Yep, got the cruise and sub filter.
Do to a time restraint for a short trip, I had the dealer install tires that I bought online and they claim they lubed the driveshaft with moly.
The next set of tire I will install myself.
Ive order some plastex for a tab repair the previous owner had cracked.
Whats the best way to remove the lower cowl without putting any pressure on the outside tabs? thx!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
You'll see, once you get the 3 screws out. Gently wiggle the cowl, and lift the cowl out and down. Sometimes, the cowl will just fall off in your hands! You're gonna love that 99! I love mine. Just be advised that the alternators are kinda iffy. When they do go bad, it's not a bad job replacing it. Check your steering head bearings once in a while,too. About the best thing a guy can have with his wing is a good shop manual. Enjoy that puppy! She will run for ever! jimsjinx

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Whats the best way to remove the lower cowl without putting any pressure on the outside tabs?...
Mine have broke off and been repaired so many times that I eventually removed them and replaced with a simple tab between the lower cowl the one above it... very easy to re-assemble this way. Tabs made from lid of typical plastic food container, restrained with wood screws.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Once you get through a few GL services the bike is actually rather straightforward to service. Two months ago I needed instructions on how to strip down the plastic. Now I can do it completely in 15 minutes.

Good for you doing all the services yourself. You know it was done right and you saved alot of money!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Once you get through a few GL services the bike is actually rather straightforward to service. Two months ago I needed instructions on how to strip down the plastic. Now I can do it completely in 15 minutes.

Good for you doing all the services yourself. You know it was done right and you saved alot of money!

And you KNOW it was done right!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Or if it wasn't you'll know who to blame.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
wow, these guys got you covered, everytime I thought about an addition someone put it in..

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yep, got the cruise and sub filter.
Do to a time restraint for a short trip, I had the dealer install tires that I bought online and they claim they lubed the driveshaft with moly.
The next set of tire I will install myself.
Ive order some plastex for a tab repair the previous owner had cracked.
Whats the best way to remove the lower cowl without putting any pressure on the outside tabs? thx!
Add to that
Lube all cables, yearly
Suck out old Dot 4 from all master cylinders, clean out gunk, remove slave cylinder and clean out gunk, clean all calipers, slide bolts, lube pins and slide bolts w/silicone brake lube,clean caliper pistons and bores and seals, flush and bleed systems.
Service air compressor
Change fork oil, yearly.
Check shocks are not leaking.
Make sure you have a fork brace on the front end. If needed I have an extra Superbrace.
Keep close watch weekly of tire pressures. 41 front, 44 rear.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Timing belts. You might be OK mileage wise, but age.... these are interference motors. Not a pretty picture if one breaks. $32 for 2 Gates belts from Rockauto and 3 hrs time. Cheap insurance.

Check the water pump. They don't like sitting around.
Change the antifreeze.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Check the water pump. They don't like sitting around...
I have to disagree on that one, as the pump seals don't seem to like be re-used upon re-assembly. I'd say that so long as there are no leaks, or other obvious overheating problems, then leave the water pump alone.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have to disagree on that one, as the pump seals don't seem to like be re-used upon re-assembly. I'd say that so long as there are no leaks, or other obvious overheating problems, then leave the water pump alone.
Yes I should have added check for leaks. Oil on the bottom of the motor is an indication along with antifreeze
But the front cover can come off the waterpump if you get another o-ring to reseal it so you can check for play in the pump. No seals are disturbed.

Also check the water hose clamps that they are tight and in place. Some have been found loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.