Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm looking to get a newer GPS unit. I have an old Garmin, but it's seen it's better days. I'd sure appreciate any feedback on units you have or had, good or bad. Not looking to spend much cash on one either. Just want one that's easy to use on the bike, and that can be seen easily. Thanks in advance!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Brent, this is like asking what type of oil or tires someone recommends. You'll typically get a lot of opinions but not a lot of substance. .

Many of the guys are using some of the newer car type of Garmin Nuvi GPS systems and just covering them with a plastic bag when it rains. I'm still using my old waterproof Garmin 2720 simply because it still works!! I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get map updates for it even though I have lifetime updates.

If you don't want to spend much you'll have to get a non waterproof unit. All of the units that are suitable for use on a motorcycle in the rain are expensive.

Henry

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hanko has given you the truth about the GPS picture as I see it also. I have had a lot of units over the years but now I have trouble seeing the smaller screens. I currently use a Nuvi 1450, it is ok but surely not up to the older units like the Street Pilot and GPSMAP series for navigation features. I would spend a lot of money for a GPSMAP 76 with a 5 to 7 inch screen. Waterproof, lots of navigation features, changeable data fields on different screens all things that are missing in modern GPS units from Garmin. And you could take it with you when you get off the bike and it would help you find the bike in a big mall parking lot. I call them every few months and enter a complaint that they need to make a GPSMAP 76 with a 5 to 7 inch screen.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I have a Garmin 755 on my Wing, been using it for many years, never had a problem with it. When it rains, if it's raining that hard you can cover it with a baggie or just take it off. I like it because it plays MP3's and I set it to an FM station and have it come thru my helmet over the bikes audio system.
I have a Garmin 50 with a 5" screen and 2014 maps that I used in my 2012 Nissan Armada but I just bought a new Nissan Titan that has a GPS in it. Let me know if you might be interested in the Garmin. $50.00 shipped to your house. It has GPS, cradle and power cord and 2014 maps.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
I used to have a Garmin 660 which I loved simply because it had a built-in FM radio transmitter.... and it stayed in Transmit Mode all the time....

This made hearing the GPS vocal stuff a breeze, as I used the dash speakers on the bike.

alas, that one broke.... then along came a 1450LMT which is pretty good, the screen is the size that I can see it w/o my microscopes on my nose... does NOT have FM radio... is still being updated regularly... Mine is mounted on a Garmin Bean bag because where I go, it goes.

We have about 3 small Garmin Nuvi GPS units, all would be too small for a bike, the keypad size is way too small and picky. Each is dedicated to a vehicle and left there.

I am looking for an new GPS device myself. At the moment, I am trying out CoPilot USA on my Android phone. It is available on iPhones also. It loads the states/region you select and stores it on the extSDcard if available, in the phone if not. What makes this a great app is that once it is running, it never, ever, needs to see the internet again.

With that, you have all the features of the smartphone, bluetooth, earbuds, WiFi connect to a car's system, etc.... just depends on the phone and the vehicle's capabilities.

So, for us to select a "great GPS" for you, is going to be nearly impossible. All we can do is list what each of us has done, and see if that will trigger a synapse in your brain cells and point you where you need to go.

there is a smartphone app that is called WAZE. This one is internet intensive, as it is a kind of Social App. When I see a train wreck of trucks and cars piled up, I can hit the Hazard Button and type up a discription of what is bad, and if North bound or South bound, etc.... then hit SUBMIT.

Immediately that information will show up on every WAZE app provided the user is going down that particular road and near enough that hazard needs to be avoided. It will automatically suggest a detour for you to get around that hazard.... my son is a believer in it, he commutes weekly to Dayton, OH from Atlanta, GA. He said he ignored the suggested detours twice, and found himself sitting once for 4 or 5 hours waiting for the wreckers to clear the road.

After that, he always takes the detours. He might be a few minutes later, but at least he gets where he needs to be.

I used it once from Tulsa, OK to Atlanta, Ga... I found it to be useful, but in my case I did not need to take any detours, as the Hazard went Poof! before I got there.

The Hazards are Automatically deleted as soon as one or more WAZE app users can travel past the Hazard location. neat app, but hell on battery power. You need to keep the phone plugged in, and located in front of the dash a/c outlet, it will get HOT!
That app is data intensive, but for what it was designed for, nothing else on the market can touch it.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Garmin 2797. It is a seven inch screen, has Bluetooth capabilities, lifetime map upgrades, traffic reports with lifetime upgrade, and is actually loud enough for you to hear! Plus, you can take the back off, add a plug for external mike, then another for external speaker, and route it into your bike's audio system. This unit, together with a heavy duty ram mount, fits very well on the dash area, directly below the key (on a 1500 anyway) Another great feature is that it can be instructed and programed via voice commands, very impressive for bike use! The unit is approx. $190 for a refurbished unit, and another $80 for the Ram mount. It's the best GPS I have ever owned, and being a big screen, I can actually see it!

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Garmin 2797. It is a seven inch screen, has Bluetooth capabilities, lifetime map upgrades, traffic reports with lifetime upgrade, and is actually loud enough for you to hear! Plus, you can take the back off, add a plug for external mike, then another for external speaker, and route it into your bike's audio system. This unit, together with a heavy duty ram mount, fits very well on the dash area, directly below the key (on a 1500 anyway) Another great feature is that it can be instructed and programed via voice commands, very impressive for bike use! The unit is approx. $190 for a refurbished unit, and another $80 for the Ram mount. It's the best GPS I have ever owned, and being a big screen, I can actually see it!
hoo boy, you just sold me....

Cellphones are the pitts for use on a bike.

I found 5 just now.... prices vary.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?location=74053&maxDist=1500&region_us=1&search_string=Garmin+2797&keytype=adv&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&category=8&hasPic=1&srchType=T&subcat=ela&minAsk=min&maxAsk=12000

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
I found one from GPScity on eBay for $189 free shipping.
I have bought from that vendor several times before and they have always stood behind their products.

on fleaBay, you have to know who you are buying from.... this one I trust.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
GPScity is definitely top notch. They are the ones I got my RAM
mount setup from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are many different choices out there. The Garmin 50 is a nice unit and I love it, but I think I'd find it a little too small on the Wing. (I have the Navi unit on the Wing, though I may be getting another Garmin to mount since it is impossible to get updates for the built in unit and you have to pay an arm and a leg).

So it is all personal preference. Garmin even makes Motorcycle ones (waterproof, etc) but they are $500+.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a unit that has "LIFETIME" map updates!

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Garmin is hard to beat, and I've found the Nuvi line (in my case, a Nuvi40) to do everything I need. The dedicated motorcycle GPS units are nice...but too pricey for me...but maybe their screens are a little better in direct sunlight(?)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. There are just SO many different models, it's hard to decipher them all. I'm kinda leaning towards a garmin 52 with lifetime updates. I have a holder on the bike already and I don't think it'll take a to much bigger unit.
And I'm a huge fan of getting input from actual users vs just sales pitches, so keep them coming!
And thanks Joe for the offer on the 50. I'm gonna hold off for a bit yet. Oh, and i like your quote! �� Planning a trip from MN to Ohio next month, so I have a little time.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Fantastic price!!!! Where in the world did you find it at that price? I thought that I had practically stolen the unit when I paid $185! Nice purchase!

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
It was the price when I bought mine. I think it was a couple months or so since I bought it. Wasnt sure about buying refurb but I couldnt tell it from new other than the packaging. I've used it in my truck and love it. My 1st gps. Just need to use it on the bike now.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I bought a garmin nuvi 2595LM off eBay last night. So I'm hoping that will work fine. Slightly used for $66 shipped. Not to bad I'm thinking.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.