Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
Ok. I bought a garmin nuvi 2595LM off eBay last night. So I'm hoping that will work fine. Slightly used for $66 shipped. Not to bad I'm thinking.

Hey!!! that thing has an old feature that I have moaned about Garmin removing from all of the Nuvi GPS units.

Find along Route.... my very old 2730 has that feature, but alas it is gone.

I sure hope the one I just bought also has that.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
And what feature is that, AZ? And I don't think the unit is too old? Least I hope not!

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
And what feature is that, AZ? And I don't think the unit is too old? Least I hope not!
I should have highlighted it, in the post above I mentioned it, but did not indicate what the feature is.... in my 1450LMT, it does not have Find along Route.... ie, you are traveling along and getting tired, want a hotel. So, you hit the search button for stuff around you. The 1450LMT will show you every hotel with radius of XYZ miles... What good is it to know about a hotel 50 miles off your route, or a hundred miles behind you? None of my Garmins in the last 10 years have retained that feature. It was abandoned after my 2730.... I loved that GPS, it had direct feature pushbuttons for Menu, Back, etc.... the soft buttons are useless when you are in a hurry in the new units. On that old 2730 no matter where you are in the menu stack, MENU brought you immediately to the top...

yeah, I know, so will a long press on RETURN, but it is not instant, and it is dangerous if you mess with it while driving.

Previous Post:
Find along Route.... my very old 2730 has that feature, but alas it is gone.

I sure hope the one I just bought also has that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the reason I mentioned that is, when I looked up the 2595LM just mentioned as being bought, the Review I saw on it showed the Find along Route... and that excited me all over again.... yeah, don't take much to make an ole geezer excited these days :laugh:

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
AZ- you'll love the 2797, it'll point out the hotels along the route, plus, if Bluetooth is hooked up, will call them for you! It even shows places to eat in accordance to what type of food you want, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. They're great!!!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
AZ.....oh I see. Guess I didn't catch that in your post. It was late and I was tired. I know the one I bought also has Bluetooth. Now if I can figure out that technology. Lol. I'd like to be able to run the sound through the speakers, but I don't think that is included.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Ok. I bought a garmin nuvi 2595LM off eBay last night. So I'm hoping that will work fine. Slightly used for $66 shipped. Not to bad I'm thinking.
That's the same unit I have, if I remember. It's been on many a Goldwing jaunt. A couple of years ago the wife and I took a trip to Europe, and for $100 I bought the complete European map download and put it on a micro SD card. Best money I spent on the entire trip. Too bad it couldn't warn me about the national freeway sticker sting they were running in Austria.

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
AZ- you'll love the 2797, it'll point out the hotels along the route, plus, if Bluetooth is hooked up, will call them for you! It even shows places to eat in accordance to what type of food you want, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. They're great!!!
that makes me very excited to get it in my hands... and my phone is one of the new fangled smart alecks, so Bluetooth will be activated 0:)

I love my Blue Parrott Truckers Headset.... noise canceling, more volume than I need by twice, full range audio for music, talk shows, etc...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
that makes me very excited to get it in my hands... and my phone is one of the new fangled smart alecks, so Bluetooth will be activated 0:)

I love my Blue Parrott Truckers Headset.... noise canceling, more volume than I need by twice, full range audio for music, talk shows, etc...

Have you figured out a way to have the headset connect to the CB?
Or even better connect to 2 meter and/or a 70cm HT?

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
Have you figured out a way to have the headset connect to the CB?
Or even better connect to 2 meter and/or a 70cm HT?
Now that you mentioned the 70 cm HT's I have two of them out in the shop somewhere, have not seen them since I left Arizona. No telling what box they got stuffed into. Seems like they were Icom brand, can't remember now.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have en ICOM IC-T7H right next my computer that I would like to hook up to a Bluetooth setup like yours.

My wife is a Ham too and the HT's are very convenient to have.

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
Those of you who have the Garmin 2597LMT,

are you able to pair to the phone and to your BT headset?

My 2597 has not arrived yet, but I am reading the manual for it.
It shows pairing to the phone, but I am not sure if my Galaxy S5 is going to pair up with two BT devices simultaneously.

If it won't then the GPS pairing to the phone is a moot point for me, as I want the BT headset paired to the phone for hands free talking.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I've never tried the 2797 with BT headset and phone, was figuring on wiring it into audio unit on bike and using it that way. I had to pop off the back of the GPS and add a couple of outside jacks, but was an easy process. By the way, you mentioned that your 2597 had not arrived, hope that's a typo, 'cause if it's not, you got a 5 inch screen coming!

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
Shocked I am, delivery scheduled for Friday, and my daughter opened the side door to the garage and there it is....

I have it on charge, and hooking up Garmin Express right now to be sure it is updated.

1st thing I always do, is to take my Brother Label Writer and put a Label on every cord that comes with an electronic product..... especially the Garmin GPS units. they are so darned finicky about what cable can charge it, and what cable can update the database.

Came with a vacuum mount.... okay I guess, but I prefer the mount to the bean bag, and I have a spare bean bag now from my old 2730 unit.

ah well, I can get the little ball mount for the bean bag.... almost ready to go :)

·
Administrator
57,369 Posts
The Garmin 2797 has a much better Search Engine than any of the previous GPS units I have owned.

Sitting right here in my home, I entered AQ Chicken and it came up immediately with two locations in Arkansas with an 'I' icon so I clicked on that and saw the addresses, then selected Springdale and Wallah! off we go... :)

Same here for today's trip, know where I am going, "Best Buy" to get a new keyboard if one suits me there. Hit Where To: entered name 'Best' and it came up 'right now' with the store I want to go to.

Think I am going to enjoy this GPS a lot... Got it paired up with my cellphone to see how that works out.... more later on that one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After reading all you guys posts I am ordering a 2797 too. Being as it's my first gps on a bike and also first Goldwing, it's a 2014 model. I have to ask a dumb question, do most of you mount it to the left handlebars or are there other spots? Thanks and try not to laugh too much.

21 - 40 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.