Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The 2797 arrived yesterday but I was away until last night so I did not have much time to play with it. I did start playing with it more this morning. The Bluetooth connects to my I-Phone and works perfectly. This is a great advantage for me. I keep the phone inside a tank bag and can not hear it ring, with the 2797 the screen alerts me when there is a call coming in. John as I told you earlier Basecamp will put all of your waypoints, tracks and routes on to your 2797. I transferred a lot of data to it this morning. It all seems to be working correctly. When I finish with this message I am going to mount the GPS and take the bike for a ride to test it all. When done, if everything is satisfactory, such as mount location, ease of use in that position, etc., I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them to this thread.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I use a Garmin 590, got it myself for Christmas last year. Expensive, but does everything from tire pressure monitor, Bluetooth - headset, phone etc, big touch screen works with bike gloves, very fast in operation and a host of other features, waterproof as well. I move it between the bikes and the car.

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
John as I told you earlier Basecamp will put all of your waypoints, tracks and routes on to your 2797. I transferred a lot of data to it this morning. It all seems to be working correctly.
Larry,
as soon as I read what you said, I clicked on Basecamp and sucked out the 1450LMT info, and immediately uploaded them to the 2797...

I had to make a run into town for stuff to locations I have been before and everything was Old Home Week for me... it even fixed my "Home Button"

I have basecamp and Mapsource, and do not like either one of them.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I just got home from a small tour around the county. I took one of my grandsons with me, he loves riding on the bike. My wife is getting lunch ready and I'll take some pictures after lunch. The GPS pared with my I-Phone was great, It was loud enough to hear when I was getting a call and I could talk and the wind noise was not much of a problem. The GPS downloaded the phone book from my I-Phone and I was able to make a call out by saying "call name". You can also call out by entering the number to be called. The sound portion of this may all change when I get on a noisy highway. The routes that I made on my computer worked fine on the GPS. All the waypoints seem to be right on.
:band:

I have not figured out how to use the track functions yet. I'll have to work on that later.
:frown2:

She is calling me for lunch now. I'll post the pictures soon.

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
:claps:

great, know the grandson enjoyed the ride.
we are flooding here now, septic tank won't take any inflow until the rains stop.

I have NOT been able to get Voice Command to work While In Motion.... even though I have turned off the Prevent Use during motion.

that to me is a bummer, as I wanted to be able to yell at the gps and ask it for the closest motorcycle food place :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
AZgl1800-
Sorry to hear your Voice Command is not responding like you want it to. Mine works 80% of the time on the 1500. I have it Ram Mounted just below the key.
Wonder if you're picking up more wind and highway noise than Larry and myself. If so, you might be able to put a mini hood over the small mike opening on the lower left side, sort of a "mini-reverse megaphone," 'cause it is a lot of fun to yell at the 2797, and have it do what you want it to!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I had to take the grandson home so I am a bit late with the pix. I took him home, took a few pictures while there and was going to take some more when I got home. Long Story short, I got rained on all the way home. Here are a few pictures but I will try to get some better pics tomorrow.

New Pictures are below.

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
AZgl1800-
Sorry to hear your Voice Command is not responding like you want it to. Mine works 80% of the time on the 1500. I have it Ram Mounted just below the key.
Wonder if you're picking up more wind and highway noise than Larry and myself. If so, you might be able to put a mini hood over the small mike opening on the lower left side, sort of a "mini-reverse megaphone," 'cause it is a lot of fun to yell at the 2797, and have it do what you want it to!

I have been doing my tests in the car, too much rain to get on the bike around here.

I will go thru the setup on it again, I had changed the wake up command to "Hey Garmin" because it is stronger to utter and it worked like a charm the first time or two I used it while parked in town and wanting to see how it worked to get me around. The 1st experience was super neat....
after that, it never worked again if I am moving....

and that is exactly what you need..... nearest fuel, or hotel "on route", not back behind you.

when you ask for that manually, it does not offer up the "on route" option, it defaults back to the old menu of the 1450LMT which is a bummer.

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
too much rain to get on the bike around here.
I hear ya. Its been almost non-stop downpours. Haven't ridden in over a week now because of it and I miss my therapy release! :smile2:

Weather looking better for the weekend Will have to try and get over to radio shack and pick up some parts for this project :nerd:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I think these pictures are a bit better.

I can see everything I need to with it mounted there.

Just a slightly different angle.

This one is to show the Ram Mount that I used to position it correctly.

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
that RAM mount looks like it cradles the GPS and does not depend on the rear ball socket that Garmin provides in the unit itself.
Correct?

That ball socket scares me just a bit. If that comes loose, the GPS is gone to the street.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
that RAM mount looks like it cradles the GPS and does not depend on the rear ball socket that Garmin provides in the unit itself.
Correct?

That ball socket scares me just a bit. If that comes loose, the GPS is gone to the street.
John, you are correct, the Garmin ball is not used.

I made a page for you and anyone else that cares, to see how and with what parts I mounted the 2797 with. Hopefully I explained it so you can understand.

http://www.larryryan.net/mount.html

I have been using Ram Mounts on my Garmin and other products for a lot of years. I have never had one problem. In the beginning I tied a string on an MP3 player just in case. Never needed, so I stopped using strings.
:smile2:

I have used the phone and voice commands at up to 45 MPH and all was well. I will let you know what happens with wind noise if I ever get a call when I am on an Interstate doing 78 MPH.
:ROFL:

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
thanks for that great mounting info diagram.
That special swivel ball mount was not available from RAM mounts back in 2004 when I had my '94SE. I had to use the extensions that came in different lengths. I like that one much better. Shorter, more stable, and a lower position.

Voice Command: in my car..... went to Tulsa for a CCP class.

I am having mixed results with this. Sometimes it works if I am sitting still. If the phone is paired up, it never works.

Today, I unpaired the phone and it worked once to find something "on route", but I was only driving about 1 mph.

Once I got out on the freeway and doing 65 mph, it would not accept voice commands period.

I double checked again, and the Check Mark to prevent searches while driving has been disabled. It should work anytime I want it to work.

Different problem. I asked it for "along route", it selected that option with a highlight and then stopped responding.... nada, zilch. Then asked it for something different and it gave me fuel by doing a search in all directions, not Along Route.

I am very upset with the voice command on this one, totally unreliable.

At lunch time, I went out and used voice to find a Burger King, it came up with a bunch of them, I told it '1' to select that one, it came back and asked if I wanted "Burger King", so I said "1" again, and it finally took it.

the voice feature is almost useless IMO.... I can never depend on it to work when I need it, which is while running 65 on the freeway and wanting to find something up ahead.

The pissy part is, if you do the menu manually, it is almost impossible to find the "along route"... their menu structure is so arcane as to be useless for that type search. I still think my old 2720 which is almost 15 years old is the best design they every made. It had a button for On Route and it worked every time.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I tried it in my wife's van this evening. And everything seemed to work. I told it to find my daughter's house and it did and it asked if I wanted to route to it. My voice commands have worked ok so far while on the bike. I have not tried it at and high speeds yet. I did run into one problem, when I updated the software it shut the Bluetooth off, killed the pairing and if I remember correctly it shut down the voice control. I now have everything back to normal.

I agree with the operating system on the old SP series, I loved them too.

I am also starting to understand BaseCamp a little better than before. The 2797 will not work with Mapsource so I have been using BaseCamp to do a lot more things. I still go to Mapsource for making custom routes, then copy the routes to BaseCamp and then load them to the 2797.

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
I don't even try to do anything with MapSource or BaseCamp. Both of them make me so mad, I almost uninstall them.

Only reason I keep them is to import/export data to/from my GPS units

Yep, when I imported the data from the 1450LMT over to the 2797, everything changed to the settings there were in the 1450 unit (if they were available)

ie, the Home button just "magically" assigned itself to my home location.

there are a lot of neat feature on the 2797, and I will not get rid of it.... it is just that it does not live up to the loud advertisements that it will do "thus and thus"

I was really happy to have all of the 300 some odd special locations show up in the 2797...

Routing? I don't even mess with it, have to faith that it will do what it is supposed to, the 1450 sure would not... I just look for midway points, save those as favorites and just go to the next midway point.

I see no benefit in trying to establish a 1500 mile or 2000 mile "route" that will probably change after 2 hours into a ride anyway. Pointless to me.

Today was fun, I-244 is under construction all across the top of Tulsa, exits that were working last week are blocked this week.... on the way to my CCP class, I got off at Yale Blvd going north just fine. Last week returning from Mardonna's doctor appt in Tulsa, Yale Blvd on ramp going east was wide open. Not today, when I went back to go home, there is a row of 'road closed' signs for the next half mile. so I just kept going to the next east bound main road and cut over to Harvard Blvd and the 2797 quit trying to get me to turn around.

The 2797 has a quirk that I don't like. The 1450 handles this with aplomb..

ie, on this detour I took today, I got back onto the route home about 1/8th mile from where Harvard provides an eastbound on ramp to I-244.... not once did a I get a message that the turn was coming up...

I have noticed this now for the last 3 trips into Tulsa.... break the route up and detour and you are less than 1 mile from the next turn, sorry charlie, you do NOT get any verbal warnings.... the road is shown on the screen, but that is all.

The 2797 also has another neat feature to its' plus. Touch one of the top corners and look at the routing. If you touch the left top corner, it will show you the picture of the next turn on that lap... neato. and those pictures are big enough that you really get a sense of what that next turn is going to look like.

I can see that really being useful in a strange town.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So far with my 2595, the voice commands have worked well. I took it in the truck yesterday and used it pretty flawlessly. And on the bike a few days ago I received a call going about 40mph and seemed to work well, although I couldn't hear it well, and the caller asked why I was yelling. Lol. So far very pleased with the unit.
But still unsure how to use it with the bikes speakers or my headset. Maybe that's not possible?

·
Administrator
58,410 Posts
that receiving call most likely depends on how high you had the speaker volume cranked up. Most folks keep it down low so the beep beeps are not annoying.

my wife does not appreciate the gps talking to me.... but with my 25 dB hearing loss, I keep it cranked "way up" and the phone call for me was good.

it will take a lot of road traveling to get familiar with all the nuances of anything new...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
John, I like Mapsource because I have been using it for so many years. I still do most things in Mapsource and copy and paste them into Basecamp to download to the 2797. Today I made a few routes for my son and I to take a trip to The Dragon, The Cherohalla Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. And then a different route for the trip back to his house in Alabama. I like the fact that I can have the route go where I want it to go as easy as can be. I can alter the route if I change my mind. All of this is very simple to do in Mapsource. It may be simple in BaseCamp too but I have not found it very simple so I must create in Mapsource, transfer to Basecamp then download to the GPS. It takes a little extra time but the routing is so precise I think it is worth the effort.

·
life is good
1,163 Posts
i bought a garman 276c many years ago i am very happy .you can do most anything with this gps and more .its water proof and you can take it in a boat or plane you can even get a transducer and make it a fishfinder it just keeps giving.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.