Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need to find a good GPS that I can have points put into as I go along a route in the mountains and then be able to transfer it to the computer for something like Google maps. Anybody got some suggestions? I am not really familiar with this type of GPS and need help on the ones to look at to buy and the ones to stay away from. I would like to stay in the 125 - 175 range.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

I have a "Spot" that tracks me every 10 minutes but I think you are looking for one with a more detailed tracking / record feature.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I am quite happy with the Garmin E-Trex Legend HCX (a hand-held unit designed for hiking etc), but I can't comment on the usefulness of the included map. I have the Topo Canada map which serves me well for the places I go, but it is extra cost. I can't load the whole of Canada into the HCX, but it's fairly easy to load in a lot of territory through the PC. Setting a mark is a snap and giving it a unique name isn't too difficult after you do it a couple of times. It will plot your route - where you've been, and you can program a route to your destination as well. No voice, but it does beep.

It has a colour screen, lasts a long time on the 2xAA batteries, and is water proof or water resistant. With an optional 12V adaptor it runs without wearing down the batteries and the screen can be left on bright which is a real benefit.

I'll be using it on my 2010 Wing with the Navi system because this handheld gives me some comprehensive time and speed data thats fun to have and isn't available on the Wing. With the Topo map I can also get a lot more data about towns and roads.

It takes a couple of minutes or so to give a reading while it aquires the satellites, but I'm amazed about how well it keeps on ticking in spite of trees overhead and seriously cloudy weather.

Sorry, I don't have experience with other units for comparisson.

Regards,

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I also have a E Trex HCX, work great, there also is a way to get the topo maps you need without spending ..............:waving:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Rob, there are many that will fit your needs. I own only Garmin units, I currently have7 of them. One in each car, one in each boat one on my Goldwing, one on a 4 wheel dirt bike and one handheld for hiking/hunting. My kids all have Garmins, gifts from me. They are all good units and each will do what you are looking for. With Garmin units you can upload the waypoints you make into a Garmin program called Mapsource. Once there you can tell it to "view in Google Earth" and it will open Google Earth if not already open, and display the exact position of your waypoint. One place for good information is:

http://gpsinformation.net/ Lots of very good information there. I am heavily into GPS so if you have more questions send me a PM.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have looked at the Garmin E-Trex Legend HCX, and am very impressed with it. It looks like what I need because we will be back in the mountains and I would be very interested in finding a topo map that I could use on it. What I would like to eventually be able to do is after coming home from a day of riding in the mountains and finding new trails is to be able to download the routes that we took and look at it on something like Google maps.
I really appreciate the help!!!:applause:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Below is a sample of what a Garmin track looks like in Google Earth. Much better if you are in the program so you can zoom and scrool.

The grey line is the track through a Florida swamp. I added the pushpin to show where we stopped to have lunch. About 20 of us on 4 wheelers made it an all day trip. It was very easy to do this with Garmin supplied Mapsource software. Upload the track from the GPS to Mapsource and tellitto view the track in Google Earth. It opens G E for you and displays the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.