Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

HI THERE ALL,
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD A GPS TO MY GL 1500 SE. I HAVE NOT COME TO A CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT MODEL AND WOULD APPRECIATE SOME COMMENTS. FURTHERMORE PLEASE TEL ME WHERE DOES THE GPS BASE GO?? IT CAN'T BE SCREWED ON THE STEERING HANDLES AS THEY ARE COVERED BY PLASTIC. CAN SOEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME BEST WAY TO DO THIS OR SEND ME SOME PHOTOES??

CHEERS
ARIS

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

When I got my GPS, I considered water proofness, size(normal vs wide), text to speech, traffic/bluetooth capability, and an FM transmitter.

I ended up getting a Garmon 750. I used the dash mount disc and put it on the center pedestal immediately foward of the radio control panel. Many opt for the appropriate RAM mount for the handlebars. You may need to add a power outlet for the unit. I placed mine inside the left cubby compartment.

When I want to hear the directions, I tune my radio to the GPS frequency.

PS: Please come off the all upper case for your text--harder to read.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I have the Navi package on my 1800. However, on my recently sold BMW R1200RT, I used a Garmin Zumo 550. It was waterproof, and vibration tolerant....made specifically for motorcycles. It works fantastically, even better than the built in Navi package. It comes with a motorcycle handlebar mount that will fit the screws on the brake reservoir, or use a U-bolt to fit around the handlebar. I powered mine straight off the battery. It would interface through the aux audio input, if you have one. It has an MP3 player built in, if that is your desire, and also is capable of XM radio/traffic/weather, if you like. A bit pricey, but well worth it IMHO. I now use it in my car.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

go to this site to look for a mount once u decide what brand of GPS you want,i use a TomTom Rider One but also have a TomTom 720
that i can interchange with the ram handlebar mount on my 87 Aspy http://www.mountguys.com

i just bought an SEI(86) which because of the handlebars could not use a standard handlebar mount,but mountguys had a ram mount that bolts to and replaces the clamp which holds the clutch lever plus can mount a aux cig lighter mount too

also be aware that some GPS units are harder to read in direct sunlight,but pretty much everybody sells "shades" which help relieve that situation

biggest thing is the cheaper u go the less features you'll have,alot have bluetooth,fm modulators, and MP3 connections or ability save and play mp3's

larger screensize is a plus too,consider a unit that u can remove and use in your cage too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.