Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All of us who have the Navi Goldwing know what a pain it is trying to see the display in bright sunlight, this may be the solution, it's called Glarstomper, here is the link to the one they say will work on the Goldwing. It is mounted inside the housing using velcro mounted in the lower corners.

http://glarestomper.com/324.html

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I have a QuestII and it was made for outdoor use. It's NOT a touch screen. In any sunlight you can see the screen perfectly. I was on a mapping sight and made the claim that the touch screen will 'blank out' in direct sunlight. They all claimed they never experienced that. I never brought it up again, but the touch screen sucks in the sunlight. Garmin has now started making their Marine plotters touch screen and on some fishing/boatingforums, they are bitching about the glare. Funny the touch screen bothers everbody but bikers. Garmin was nice enough to stop offering updates on the Quests rendering a $1000.00 GPS useless.

I agree with William, you can make a shield for virtually nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the touch screen has nothing to do with the display brightness, the touch panel is a transparent glass that senses the touch, if the display behind is not bright enough, with or without the touch panel you wont be able to see anything outdoors.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Being a tightwad I'm not going to pay $25 for something I can make myself, they give the dimensions, I'll make a cardboard pattern first, paint it black and fasten it with double back tape to see if it works, then find a proper material to fashion one with.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
the touch screen has nothing to do with the display brightness, ...
True, but additional glass contributes to the glare.

More glass, more reflection. More glass, more distortion. More reflection and distortion means more glare. The actual display screen is fighting to get through it in sunlight accurately.

Seems a small rectangular Tupperware container could be had and cut to suit the actual position the GPS is viewed from.

That's the route I would go. I really don't have a problem though unless it's towards the end of the day with the sun behind me, then no amount of "hood" is going to resolve that issue. Those laminate sun protectors make it even worse. Useless.

Overall, I'm happy with my little NUVI. I can't control Mother Nature though. I can always just pull over as if using paper maps if need-be... Have yet to actually need to do that though.

Like time; ...give it a couple hundred yards or so. Liable to change direction enough to see it without so much glare. Mine seems bright enough..

Edit: just realized this is about a 1800 factory display. Maybe someone will mod the screen on one. Find out what the driver chip is and see what other screens are somewhat compatible. May have to change out some transistors to power a brighter screen. It's done with laptops all the time, touchscreens included.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
around 16 for that. i think its a waste of money for something you can do at home for less
I paid about $19 for mine. That's about all they are worth and $24 is too much imho.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
around 16 for that. i think its a waste of money for something you can do at home for less
I paid about $19 for mine. That's about all they are worth and $24 is too much imho.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
the touch panel is a transparent glass that senses the touch
William,

Touch screens like on a gps or cash register are NOT glass. A touch screen is comprised of several layers of plastic.

The several layers do a few things. They enhance the visual picture on the screen, they allow activation of the sensitive points that do the screen functions and they won't crack.

The picture on the screen is not actually visible on the top layer of plastic, in some instances you can turn the screen to the side a bit and not be able to see whats on the screen. Thislack of picture on the top plastic is what can allow the sun to glare off of it andblock the view underneath.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

at least on the ipods and idevices the touch sensor its a tiny plastic layer that you put behind the glass with 3M two face tape. probably not the same as all other devices.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
at least on the ipods and idevices the touch sensor its a tiny plastic layer that you put behind the glass with 3M two face tape. probably not the same as all other devices.

I've been trying to solve this glare problem for a long time. I got all this info from Garmin Techs. When I first called them they really weren't sure about the makeup of the screens because they do not manufacture them. They looked into it and at a later time e-mailed me withan answer something similar to what I explained to you. It was more complicated than that but I can't remember the details, it's been a few years.

I'm sure they're all not the same makeup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.