Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was browsing one of those photo search sites today under the Goldwing keyword and I found this picture of what looks like a GL1800 with GPS. I've seen this as part of the "fake" 2006 Wing on another thead, but this one is a lot clearer and I can read the map (somewhere in the US).
Probably nothing in it, but as I read something about Goldwing GPS on either the gl1800 riders or the other gl1800 forum last week I thought I'd share it anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Someone must have been busy putting these picturesaround the web, I've seen some others myself recently on different bike sites. Looks like a bigger LCD pod just like what we seen in the other thread here a couple of months back. Well done but I still think its doctored for the simple reason that the gl1800 is a dead duck now. Production apparently stopped for good, no end of PR problems with all the problems with this bike. Surely there just has to be a GL1900 or 2000 for 2006.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

These pictures are probably fake ,,if you look back at the pics posted on the site a few months ago of the proposed new 1800 ,this gps was fitted to it only the bike was a different colour ..

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

ran429 wrote:
yep its Fake alright, Most Gps units will come in Grey Tone for the screen. Aven the most expensive ones I have seen are grey & silverish.
Then how come the Garmins have colour maps? I've seen loads of car systems with colour maps too. As for the map being sharper, of course it is. If you are going to show off the map for a publicity shot you will make sure to focus on that and throw the rest of the image out of focus (selective focussing), no point in having say the buttons sharp instead. I don't know if this is a fake or not, but the idea sounds good to me.
BTW, don't go shouting at me. I'm new on the forum so take it easy. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

On a closeup shot like that I would expect to be able to see the pixels that make up the LCD. That map looks too smooth to me to be real, also the gear indicator just doesn't look right to me.
Is that a map from a US city? I wonder if anyone has an idea what city it depicts.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I'm no photo expert but the mere fact that Honda has lost their shirts on the GL1800 seems to suggest we won't see this model made in 2006.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

gaswing wrote:
Then how come the Garmins have colour maps? I've seen loads of car systems with colour maps too. As for the map being sharper, of course it is. If you are going to show off the map for a publicity shot you will make sure to focus on that and throw the rest of the image out of focus (selective focussing), no point in having say the buttons sharp instead. I don't know if this is a fake or not, but the idea sounds good to me.
BTW, don't go shouting at me. I'm new on the forum so take it easy. ;)
Take a look. It's real obvious that the map image is much sharper than the rest of the photo!! Even in real view, if the map was that sharp....in a photo all areas of the image in similar range would have the same sharpness. In photography, it's called depth of field. The indicator lights are the sharpest part of the real image, the gps area is sharper, technically that can't happen unless the gps map is inserted.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

what i know about the 1800 you couldn't fill a thimble. However, would you be able to take a picture that well while riding down the road in 3rd gear? or does the bike still show what gear you're in even while you are still and key on?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
what i know about the 1800 you couldn't fill a thimble. However, would you be able to take a picture that well while riding down the road in 3rd gear? or does the bike still show what gear you're in even while you are still and key on?
I sure wouldn't wan'a try that, but can't you put the bike in any gear while at stop...even with engine off? Will it still show what gear your in?

The ABS light is no too...so the brakes are on, right?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
They are fake...the map image is sharper than the rest.
I think it's a fake too, butnot because of the focus. Notice the bottom of the picture is blurred the most and the top of the picture with the phony indicator lights is sharp. that's about what you'd expect with a camera close-up if shot from a low angle. The depth of field on most lens is a lot less close up, especially with a digital camera operating in 'macro' mode and would give that typical result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.