Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TomTom and had a Garmin .I was wondering if anyone tried the Rand Mcnally OverDryve 7 in GPS that also doubles as a Pad. I use the GPS more in the car than the bike and just cant see buying a Zumo. I have a 2007 GL1800 wing with the GPS but its basically a scrolling map and not much use for anything else.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you have a cell phone and keep it with you in the car, try out the Herewego app. Works offline, and has a good map library. Works the same as a dedicated GPS. Have used this app when riding and instructions come through my SENA communicator when paired.

Cheers

·
Registered
553 Posts
I got an 8" Android tablet for X-Mas, it has GPS and Wifi, but no cell data, so any maps I use have to be offline only.

Installed the Avenza maps app, and over a dozen geo-located Forest service Motor Vehicle Use maps, these will be great for when I go rock-hopping in the forest with my Jeep. Been using these with the iPhone, but the tablet will be much better.

It would be nice to have general road maps in it, too, Avenza has some, but they are pretty spendy. Any recommendations for Android? (free, preferably) >:)

·
Administrator
57,518 Posts
I always buy a Garmin something on sale, refurbished, for cheapest price.
all of them have worked well. one had to be returned a few years ago but Garmin replaced it with a new warranty again.

on the cellphone, I tried Waze once, burns thru data so fast, it blew thru a month's worth in one day. deleted that.

CoPilot USA is fantastic, but unless you have a plugin SD card, you can't download the maps. it is extremely detailed and just as good as Google for "points of interest".
I like it for when sitting in a rest area, or restaurant and wondering "what is around here?"

the others mentioned here I did not know about, will check them out.

on cellphones, if the map data is NOT on the phone, they are nearly useless IMO.
drop off the globe's cell tower map, and they are dead.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I got an 8" Android tablet for X-Mas, it has GPS and Wifi, but no cell data, so any maps I use have to be offline only.

Installed the Avenza maps app, and over a dozen geo-located Forest service Motor Vehicle Use maps, these will be great for when I go rock-hopping in the forest with my Jeep. Been using these with the iPhone, but the tablet will be much better.

It would be nice to have general road maps in it, too, Avenza has some, but they are pretty spendy. Any recommendations for Android? (free, preferably) >:)
There should be an Herewego app for android. Use WiFi to download street maps for the state/province then use offline.

·
Administrator
57,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem I have with my phone while using Google maps is it occasionally reboots on its own. While on the way out of Chicago it rebooted about 25 mins out which made for some interesting moments especially not knowing the route. But then it didnt do it the rest of the rip out and back. My TomTom wont take 3 digit addresses even if I try military style by adding a 0 before the numbers,and my Garmin Nuvi has the old connector/board issue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I like the idea of the small tablet for this application. A friend in Ontario has a small tablet installed on his 1200 GSA for GPS navigation. Eye sight isn't what it used to be.

·
Administrator
57,518 Posts
TAblet?
my tablet does not have DATA access or a GPS function....
IMO, it is junk, and I am selling it when we get home.

should have done some research..... "just assumed" that a Verizon tablet would be good?
uh no, it is so damn slow, I can take a shower, a nap, and then it might be booting up to look at the weather.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I just get a RAM mount for my current GPS, and I'm good.

I added a hood on 1500.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Mine's an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab "A", has GPS, Wifi, no compass. It was only $80. Has 16 GB internal memory plus Micro SD slot - Since it is newer unit presumably will access whatever monster chip you put in it. 256GB? Haven't verified that. Maybe this evening I'll get it out, hot it up and try Herewego on it. Think I have a 64GB chip around here somewhere.

·
Administrator
57,518 Posts
Mine's an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab "A", has GPS, Wifi, no compass. It was only $80. Has 16 GB internal memory plus Micro SD slot - Since it is newer unit presumably will access whatever monster chip you put in it. 256GB? Haven't verified that. Maybe this evening I'll get it out, hot it up and try Herewego on it. Think I have a 64GB chip around here somewhere.

that is what I should have bought for me....
I searched for the Verizon model, and have been thoroughly disenchanted with it. SLOW don't even come close to describing how it works.

it will be sold ASAP when we return home from vacation.
anybody want a 'really good' Verizon Tablet 0:)

I have $30 invested, you can have it for $30 postage paid.:wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts