Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm wodering if someone has a suggetion as to a good mounting method for a Garmin Quest 2 GPS for my 85 1200.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey OLDWING85 :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

Hang in there and one of our "Gurus" will soon be along to help you out. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

The Quest is a nice small unit and I'd be inclined to mount it on top of the dash.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

That's basically the same shape as my Garmin GPS III. I mounted it on the "DASH" (man I hate calling it that) Any ho I use Velcro on mine It has never fallen off and when I stop I just rip it off and chuck it in the right side pocket I also wired in a aux power outlet deep in the left pocket and use that to power it with.

PS I use it less and less as time goes on I found that I liked it for the altitude and for the north up more than anything sometimes tracked my routes but not much Wifey then knows where I've been( not good when it shows parked in front of # 5 Orange for 3 hrs)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I founda used Garmin on Ebay. It came with a replaceable battery cover. The second cover had a clip thingy on it that connects to a handlebar mount. I wonder if you can find one for your device.

I didnt like the angle if placed on the risers, and I couldnt put it on the center near the tripletrees, due to no room. My fairing is an old Vetter. I rigged up some pvc pipe that came out from the cigarette lighter hole (couldnt bear to drill another big ole hole) that comes out, turns 90 degrees, and holds a short section to mount the handlebar mount on. It put the device square to my eyes. Its a bit horsey looking, but it was quick, and cheap.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

OLDWING85

I have the Quest - I bought a motorcycle mounting kit from Garmin and mounted it to a RAM mount which attaches to the handlebars. It's easy to remove and being up on the left bar my wife can see it as well. Great unit - you will enjoy it. We travelled 16,000 km's this summer and not a problem.

Cal

Orange '03'

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to this wonderful site :waving::waving:,,try http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/gps_dash_mount.htm Tell Jon I sent you he does a great dash mount kit for most Garmins ,,It sits in the best possible place ..right in front of you ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank You,
I used the Garmin and Ram components. Worked great!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III mounted with a RAM mount on the left handlebar. It is a very nice location as you can get to it rather easily to poke the buttons. I had it dash mounted but it seemed to shake and vibrate too much for me and also I had to lean forward to poke the buttons.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have a Tom Tom. Bought it before I bought the bike. They have a Motorcycle GPS but I bought the car one with the suction cup for the windshield. They don't make any other brackets for a bike for the model I have. Any other suggestions? I was thinking good ole Velcro somehow !!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

wingster wrote:
They don't make any other brackets for a bike for the model I have.
Hey Wingster and OLDWING85 could you please put the year and model of your bike into your signature line? It makes it a lot easier for us to help you with your problems if we know what you are riding.

To do this, click on MY ACCOUNT at the top of the page then click on PROFILE. Fill in the box that says SIGNATURE with at least your bike year and model.

Calwing, this might be good for you too so you don't have to type the info in each time you post.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wingster wrote:
I have a Tom Tom. Bought it before I bought the bike. They have a Motorcycle GPS but I bought the car one with the suction cup for the windshield. They don't make any other brackets for a bike for the model I have. Any other suggestions? I was thinking good ole Velcro somehow !!
Ram mounts make a universal holder that will take many different types and shapes of GPS. Their kit is good quality and works for Wings, since they do dedicated mounts that will suit each model

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Oh Ya,
Your Street Pilot Looks great.
That's just like my Garmin Quest 2 was.
Very handy. I use it in my car now...
Is it ok to talk about cars here?
I replaced the bike though.
Things are even better now PTL.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

wingster wrote:
Good old velcro and duck tape will fix it every time :goofygrin:

Keep on Winging :bat:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hey Chris, (1984GL1200A), it looks like from the angle your picture was taken, that your GPS is in the way of you using your left mirror. Does it block your view of the left mirror or is it just the camera angle?

Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Hey Chris, (1984GL1200A), it looks like from the angle your picture was taken, that your GPS is in the way of you using your left mirror. Does it block your view of the left mirror or is it just the camera angle?

Thanks,
John
It is just the camera angle. I am using the 1 3/4" post on the top ball and I can see into the mirror quite well. Of course, I am fairly tall too (6'1") so if you are shorter, this might not work. Since that photo was taken, I have added another ball inbetween the 2 mounting screws. You could always move it down and hook it to the lower ball and that would drop it by about 2" or so.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
It is just the camera angle. I am using the 1 3/4" post on the top ball and I can see into the mirror quite well. Of course, I am fairly tall too (6'1") so if you are shorter, this might not work.
Thanks Chris! Height is not a problem for me. I'm over 6'2". Money is my problem. I want too many things for mine, but have to budget for them. :p I don't want anything obstructing my view, so that's why I asked. The GPS is down a little ways on my list, so it won't be an issue for a while, but I'm always looking so I will be prepared when I can afford the things I want. :)

John

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:

Thanks Chris! Height is not a problem for me. I'm over 6'2". Money is my problem. I want too many things for mine, but have to budget for them. :p I don't want anything obstructing my view, so that's why I asked. The GPS is down a little ways on my list, so it won't be an issue for a while, but I'm always looking so I will be prepared when I can afford the things I want. :)

John

try this looks ok http://www.gpsw.co.uk/.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I had mine on the handle bars like Chris but moved it down as some of the rough country roads I travled made it vibrate badly.

I have it mounted here now, Held with Velcro and never had a problem in almost a year.

I remove it quite a bit also and mount it in my truck for trips.

Mohawk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Check out the RAM mounts www.cycoactive.com/gps_mountsram.html
They have a mount for everything. Good quality too.
You can even call them and they will help make it work.
The GPS software companies send guys driving around the country in cars labeling
new roads and points of interest so all we have to do is push a button and our
bike takes us right to that place. I love it. Life is good. PTL
Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.