Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a way to use a GPS and MP3 player at the same time on a 1500's system.

The 1800 has the capability to use the onboard GPS and say your radio and when it is time for the GPS voice it mutes out the music and tells when to turn and such.

On the 1500 we will use an aftermarket GPS and in my case I am using an FM Modulater to pipe in my GPS and or music thru the radio. I tune to 88.7 fm and I can get my MP3 or my GPS but not both at this time. Is there a way that I can though?

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

What about something like the Garmin Nuvi 765T? You can add an SD card of up to 4gb loaded with MP3 tunes. It is one of the few that has a 3.5mm audio out jack which could easily be connected to the FM modulator. That would give you tunes and directions from the same unit.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I had a Lowrance 350 that did that and I loved it but it died and I bought another unit but even though it has the MP3 player i cant use them both at the same time. I was misled by the sales man when I bought it. So I am kind of stuck with it. The Garmin is a good brand and I just might look into buying that one if I cant figure this out

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I am looking for the same thing I think Ghost riders Is looking for ( And if I am mistaken my apologies Ghost ) Is there some way to hook the audio out of a GPS into the bikes intercom so it works like a passenger on the system? So you can listen to any source you want and when the GPS gives instructions it overrides what is going on in the headset. Is that what your looking for Ghost?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Ghost rider, The way I did mine , was to wire a 1/8 inch phono jack into the intercom cable. It hangs outside the left pocket. I plug my GPS into it, turn on the intercom (low), and then listen to my mp3 using the fm modulator. When the GPS speaks, the radio mutes and I hear the instruction perfectly. Be sure and check the GPS volume before you get on the road or the first time it speaks, you will have to stop and change your shorts.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sticks, So what u did was wire the 1/8 phono jack into the harness then so it shares the intercom and the GPS. And does that effect the passenger as well? And can the passenger and you stil carry on a conversation thru the intercom?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Sticks, can you give a picture or a diagram of how you wired it in?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

What I did, was take the intercom cable loose at the connector under the left pocket. I then hooked the jack in parallel to the intercom wires at the connector. Both driver and passenger can still use the intercom. the jack is just an addition. It does not affect operation of the intercom. I'm sorry I don't have a picture and I can't draw but I will try to come up with something.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the info. I'm goinng to try that after my trip this week end

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider, Here is a picture I just took of the intercom cable. I took the white wire and black wire female pins out of the connectorand wraped the wires from the phono jack around the base of the pins.You can solder them,but when you push the pins back in the other wires will be held in by friction. (It's a tight fit) The black wire goes to the positive side of the jack and the white wire goes to ground. Hopethis helps. It's much easier todo than it sounds. (remember,you have to turn on the intercom for it to work)

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Connecting the ground of the mic input to the ground of the GPS is just asking for ground loop noise to be injected into the intercom. There is more than enough line level signal coming out of the GPS to inject into the hot (white wire) side of the mic circuit without a ground.

NSJoe and I fiddled with this on his 1800 this past weekend, and figured out the sweet spot is a 42KOhm resistor to bring the GPS audio down to an acceptable level for the mic input. So the "tip" of the GPS audio out, through a 42K resistor, and then into the white wire as you show in the picture above - and that's all you need. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Connecting the ground of the mic input to the ground of the GPS is just asking for ground loop noise to be injected into the intercom. There is more than enough line level signal coming out of the GPS to inject into the hot (white wire) side of the mic circuit without a ground.

NSJoe and I fiddled with this on his 1800 this past weekend, and figured out the sweet spot is a 42KOhm resistor to bring the GPS audio down to an acceptable level for the mic input. So the "tip" of the GPS audio out, through a 42K resistor, and then into the white wire as you show in the picture above - and that's all you need. Works great.
Yes, that set up really works well. The bossy lady in my GPS now mutes the music before she tells me where to go. Thanks again GS.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

I have a suggestion which costs no money, IF you have a TomTom with the mp3 player built in. Many do. It worked for me. I have both a TomTom 720 and 930. I put my music on the SDHC. Use the TT music player which broadcasts to the fm setting you select. Sounds as natural as the fm station.

Watch and listen to gps as usual. Some TT systems also allow you to have the gps audio interrupt the music and play over the fm setting.

psu

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

psu1 wrote:
I have a suggestion which costs no money, IF you have a TomTom with the mp3 player built in. Many do. It worked for me. I have both a TomTom 720 and 930. I put my music on the SDHC. Use the TT music player which broadcasts to the fm setting you select. Sounds as natural as the fm station.

Watch and listen to gps as usual. Some TT systems also allow you to have the gps audio interrupt the music and play over the fm setting.

psu
If the GPS will interrupt the music, that will work just fine. My issue was that my audio system won't allow both the AUX and radio (or CD) to be playing at the same time, so it was either one or the other. With this mod, the music can be playing and the GPS will mute the music and override it because it is on the intercom, and all is piped into my helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:

I tried this today, but without the resistor at this time. I can hear the 765T through the helmet, but it is very faint, not loud enough to cut out the music. If I read your comment correctly, the resistor will make it even fainter?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin 2720 GPS that I have on my GL1500. I have it wired as GSMcLean said except I hooked the ground wire in there also and put a Ground Loop Isolator in between the GPS output and the mic. input. Works great for me. Here is the isolator I used.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html?search=ground+loop

I used a 21k ohm resistor inline with the hot side of the GPS output to cut the level down some. I don't think this is a critical value because GSMcLean used a 47k ohm in his project and it worked fine also. My GPS volume is about 50% and the level is just right. You can also adjust the intercom volume to change it. I can be listening to the radio or to my Ipod through the aux input I have wired into my radio and when the GPS speaks it cuts off the radio or my aux input and sends the directions through the headset.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.