Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It would be nice to be able to enter a destination using GPS coordinates in addition to the current options. It would also be nice to see your GPS coordinates of the current location.

It would also be nice if the voice giving directions did NOT interupt the intercom system. My wife gets upset when it interrupts HER giving me directions.

I would be willing to purchase suchan upgrade for the existing systems. I have an '08.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I second the coordinates option. Kit

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I wrote to Honda a year ago with similar comments, their reply?

"Your comments have been passed on to the people responsible"

This is what I think should be included:-

Co-ordinate display

Option to set route to a co-ordinate, or nearest road accessible point.

Altitude

Vehicle speed

Trip meter to 10,000 mi

Compass

The BIGGIE, off line programming of routes with Honda software or already existing trip planning software.

None of these things are difficult or even impossible, I've got a hand held that will do all of this and it cost less than $200.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
imported post

It would be nice if you could also program in custom waypoints as well. This is a motorcycle, not a car. Cars want to get there in a hurry using freeways. Motorcycles want to use the backroads. This is more designed for cars and it is extremely basic as well.

Next point. How come we can't search for all the Burger King's in another city? Say I want to travel to Dallas from Houston and end my trip at a Burger King up there. It won't let me isolate any and all searches in the Dallas area only since I am in Houston.

There is more but this will do for now.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

OK folks I need some opinions. Something I know motorcyclists are never short of:).

I have been thinking about getting a new Goldwing for quite a while. Seems to be some great fly-n-ride deals out there right now and I am considering making the jump.

I'm thinking the premium sound would be just fine and I could slap my Garmin on it and do everything I would like to do. I usually keep my bikes for quite a while (98 Valk now) and as technology changes I can upgrade as time goes on.

Garmin GPS, MP3 port on the stereo for my IPOD and I should be good to go.

I guess my biggest question is- Is the GPS equiped version worth the extra $$$?

Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

NO! lot of not so favorable reports

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yes, I was after the ABS and Airbag so it came with the package. It seems well integrated and easy to read. After all, if you are already spending that type of money what is a little more?

I do suggest that you upgrade to the model with the ABS as they seem to function quite well. I have not needed theAirbag as yet ......

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Yes, I was after the ABS and Airbag so it came with the package. It seems well integrated and easy to read. After all, if you are already spending that type of money what is a little more?

I do suggest that you upgrade to the model with the ABS as they seem to function quite well. I have not needed theAirbag as yet ......
Hope you never need it, do youknowof any one that has hadthe air bag deploy.

ABS is really good, would pay extra for that.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

No, I don't actually know anybody else that was willing to pay the money for the airbag model. I figure it will be worth every penny if it is used. It has to be better than going over the bars and thru the windshield.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

I have an '06 w/abs and have just returned from a 16 day, 5,480 mile ride, two-up. In my opinion the Goldwing is the finest touring motorcycle built. That said the GPS is just adequate. It will get you from pointA to point B. I think it was dumbed down when you compare it to most other GPS's. I've had it route me ontounverified (so says the gps)roads, even onto dirt roads. Locating specific addresses can be tedious, particularly if the address is on a US Highway which it didn't always find. I used it everyday on the this trip (and others)and it always took me to the address except the few times it couldn't locate an address. Getting it to route you on the roads you want takes adding waypoints. You basically have to know which roads you want and select the waypoints that will route you that way. And don't try to do a long route with lots of waypoints. Computer planning and a download function would be an excellent addition. Even the ability to download new maps. (I understand Garmin charges a lot for new maps) I don't know if coordinates would be of much help unless you plan to go offroad.Or know the coordinates ofeach location. Would I purchase with the GPS again? Yes.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

NO! I recently purchased an 08 Wing (abs, nav, sound, comfort). The nav system is a huge disappointment. Starting with,the database is over 2.5 yrs old and woefully out of date. Who knows when an update will be available or for how much. I called Honda on it; they just laughedand said too bad even though the dealer assured me it was a fresh database. My advise is avoid it.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I just spoke with Garmin (8-20-08) about the updates for the Goldwingnavigation systemand they told me that they release the updatesevery two years. I have an 07' GL1800 and I have to wait until 2009 apparently.

This is rather disappointing to hear about the navigation system on my 07' so it looks like I may purchase a handlebar mount for my TomTom 720 when I take serious trips and need better navigation. It is a shame to pay for this feature and discover from others that it is rather disappointing.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

A couple of weeks ago, the little wifey and I were on some off roads in Tennessee.... completely lost. I stopped, hit the home function on my GPS and told my little wifey.... "if this gets us home, it will of been worth the money".... we made it home without any problem... Would I purchase it again? Yes.... would I purchase another Honda? NO!!.... nice scooter... very poor customer service.... but that is another story....

Gasseous

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

A note on Honda service for "gasseous", I agree with your assessment of Honda service. Unfortunately there's always a dealer out there to prove me wrong. Rice Honda, Rapid City SD, on vacation, pulled in for an oil change, 30 minutes later done, looked at the rear tire, needed a new one, done in a half hour. Never would have gotten that at home.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

After riding the Lake Superior Loop, I found one main thing that I would like to see improved. On the things to avoid, there should be an option to avoid unpaved roads. This is a GPS on a large touring motorcycle, how many of us want to use unpaved roads? Seems like a common sense thing that should have been put on the set-up screen to begin with.

Then of course, you have the issue of buying a 2007 in October of 2007 and getting 2005 software. Rediculouos.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

:waving:Amen to that. This Navigation is not for a motorcycles ,but rather cars and have so many flaws ,that now i think we would be better without then with in.. At least it would be Little cheaper when we bought.

Everything from entering keys ,to routes.. Actually we barely use this system - due to inconvenience and insufficiency -premium in this system was only price for it.. however i do like the radio and Cd's the whole communication in new GL1800 is great ,butttttttt Navigation suck big time. I guess as almost everything - have to goodinized :D

:pumpkin:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I'd like to also add that my TomTom 720 has a touch screen to make route entries a lot less time consuming. Also, I can update my TomTom online (through my laptop) as often as I want/need and guess what? It doesn't cost me to do so. I will definitely pass on the Garmins from here on out. Did I also mention that I can download (for free) Starbucks icons that tell me where the nearest Starbucks is. This is available (free) for other retailers/businesses as well.

Garmin won't get my business since they want to charge to upgrade a system that already came with my Goldwing and now knowing that it was out-of-date to begin with really ticks me off. I wonder if Lexus does that with their customers. What ever happen to good customer service? By the way, at least I can upload my music to my TomTom 720 as well instead of having to use an iPod which, I also have anyway. I hope Honda Goldwing gets their act together when it comes to the NAV system or that will not be an option that I will be looking for when I buy another Goldwing or maybe a BMW. They better hope BMW does show them up when it comes to their NAV system.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

I wanted the ABS and the only way to get it was with the GPS. Would be nice if the unit was voice activated. Would be much easier, if accurate, then typing. Thing takes me on allot of dirt roads. But it has gotten me home a few times when I had no idea where I was and would have driven many miles out of the way. How much does Garmin charge for software updates? Stupid me, I thought everything was via sattelite including maps etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.