Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a Lorance navigation GPS that works fine in the car.
Thanks to this forum, I can now connect the audio through my GL1500 sound system.
My problem is that I can't see the color screen in daylight.
Even on a cloudy day it is washed out. Shading it doesn't help.
I practically have to take it indoors to see the screen and navigate the touch screen controls. I have noticed that cell phones with color screens also have this problem.

Are there low cost GPSs available that do not share this problem?
The product descriptions never seem to address this issue.
I would even consider using a non-color unit, but I haven't seen any advertised.
Any recommendations?

Thanks
Rick

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hey there Rick;, I've got 6 GPS units (Garmin) including a "non colour" & they are pretty good unless it's direct sunlite on the face then they are hard to see. Your's
might have a "Brightness / Contrast " setting that might help. The newer ones are better than previous.:waving::action::action:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

or use my hi-tech method, it never needs batteries, and is visiable in all bright lights. Red grease pencil, look at your map, write each leg on a line in the corner of the windshield, removed each line with a pass of the thumb as it is completed.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Find a small piece of smoke colored plexiglass. Cut it in a rectangle and in the center of the rectangle leave the exact distance of the width of your unit sticking out in the middle of the rectangle with another section of uncut material, round the edges of this section, use a heat gun and form the piece to fit over the top of the unit and having legs come down the sides.

Fasten it to the unit with velcro. Homemade sun shield and costs about 5 bucks.

Kit

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Sun shield is about the best way to go.

·
Administrator
57,487 Posts
imported post

The sun shields work pretty good.

But the best unit I have that works in full sun, is my oldest one. A Garmin GPS III that is plain black and while.

the brighter the sun, the easier it is to see.

at night, it has a green backlight.

The color units I have all suffer the same fate. Direct sun, forget about it.

sun shields are a must.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

That's something the Honda unit does not seem to suffer from, I have never had a problem seeing mine in the daytime. I don't much like the nighttime screen, but I use it so rarely I haven't fiddled with the settings at all.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

These work pretty well, but it's still better if your GPS screen is bright enough and has an anti-glare screen.
http://www.glarestomper.com/

John

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
These work pretty well, but it's still better if your GPS screen is bright enough and has an anti-glare screen.
http://www.glarestomper.com/

John
Actually, Rudy made a couple for both of us for the Magellan 2200T from an old plastic saddlebag divider and it didn't cost $18. Works good.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all your comments.
I'll try making a sun shield, and see how that works for me.

Rick

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

You must have the iWay 250c. That was my first GPS, and it is definitely a booger to see in direct sunlight.
I now have the iWay 500c and it is bright enough to see in any light. Full-on sunlight is no problem. I even gave my glare stomper to my son for his gps, didn't need it any more.

Joe

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Mine has the built in GPS. When I picked up the bike, I could hardly seet he screen. Got in and changed colors and it's fine now. Color scheme has a lot to do with visibility.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Yes, I do have the iWay 250c. I've never seen the 500. Does it have any other improvements besides brightness?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Nuvi 780, and I can see it in pretty much any light. I used to use a Navigon cheapy unit, but couldn't see it well at night or in the day, but it didn't have a backlight. The Nuvi does.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Just go one for my Birthday to add to my bike. the 260Nuvi. I hope to put it on soon. Is there a way to wire the sound to your head set? or into your radio?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

als4life wrote:
Is there a way to wire the sound to your head set? or into your radio?
Yes, if there is a headphone jack there is several ways. A cassette adapter, an FM modulator or a J&M universalCell Phone/GPS/Radar Detector Integration Terminal, (CFRG-390C),to name three. :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

John

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

A ton of differences....starting with a 20GB hard drive (10GB for the programming, 10 reserved for your MP3's). Much larger screen, therefore a lot easier to use with my fat fingers. And, it's faster than my 250C was in locking on to satellites.

You can only buy them used now, but can pick one up on eBay for $100 if you are patient and watch for them.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I bought a Tom Tom XL. Made a custom bracket. Looked great - in the garage. As soon as I took it outside I discovered that the angle reflected the sky and I could see nothing on the screen. Adjusted the bracket to face it down a bit and I find that it works. It is a little feint in direct sunlight, but works good enough.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.