Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

I have seen a number of questions on the site regarding GPS.

I need to know how to connect the audio cable to be able to hear the voice prompts over my headset.

I have fitted the power cable which was supplied by Garmin, and it has a further cable connected to it for audio.

It looks as though a small jack plug fits into it, but where do I connect the other end, and what kind of connection is it.

I have heard several reports saying that you can connect to the cassette player.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1989 GL 1500, and am running the cd player through a spare fm frequency.

regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I assume that your CD player is plugged into an FM modulator, which broadcasts to the radio.

If this is the case, then we are on the right track.

Pick up either a headphone splitter like this one:

http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/CA-82304.html

or a Y cable like this one:

http://www.dalco.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=578012

Now, if your modulator has it's own cord, plug that into one of the female spots, and then use a double male cord to run to the GPS, and plug the remaining male of the Y cable, or the splitter into your CD player. It doesn't matter really what plugs into what, as long as they all plug in somewhere.

IF you do NOT have a seperate modulator, then I suggest the following:

Buy a dual Male 3.5mm stereo minipin cable, and cut one of the ends off. Strip it back, and you should see a bare wire, a red wire, and a black wire. (Or some other color combo, it doesn't really matter as long as you have that bare one sorted out.) Strip about 2 inches of the outer sheath off, and cut one of the colored wires off at that point. Strip the other wire, leaving about 1/4 inch (1/2 cm)of insulation at the base. Now, either cut into the intercom harness, or build an adapter. (I suggest an adapter.) Go to your local electronic store, and buy a male, and a female DIN connector that will match your intercom setup. Preferably find something with a strain releif fitting. Go home, and wire the thing 1-1. (Pin 1 connects with socket 1, Pin 2 with socket 2, etc.) NOTE: when looking into the face of the connectors, the pins and sockets will be arranged opposite one another. Pin 1 may be on the left, but socket 1 may be on the right. They are all numbered, so be sure to follow the numbers, and not your eyes.

Now, take that cable you made earlier, and sonnect it up so that the colored wire is connected to pin 1, and the bare wire connects to pin 2. See picture:

Now plug your new adapter into the harness, and then plug your helmet into the adapter. Plug the GPS, into the new wire, and start with the vol knob at minimum. SLOWLY turn it up until you can hear the thing talking to you. It shouldn't take much at all, as the mic signal is highly amplified. If anyone wants to use this technique for adding another audio device to their wing, I suggest adding one of these to the end of the audio cable:

http://www.x10.com/electronics/allcategories/electronics/accessoriescablesmedia/videocables/connectors_and_accessories_audio_magnavox_M62036.html

This will allow both left and right channels to merge onto the mono microphone line.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Oh, and you could just buy a tape adapter, like this one:

http://www.mptronix.com/i2Go.html

But you wouldn't be able to listen to your CD and the GPS unit at the same time. (You would have to swap between the tape and radio)

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

If you cant sort it out, Email me, I have the Factory service manual for the GL1500 Kenwood stereos and we can sort it out.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Well done Phil, that clears a few questions up for me as well.

Dave, that Kenwood service manual is a handy item to have. I might have to refer to you for info from it at some point in the future, if that's all right.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Wow, one informative post, and my mana bucket is almost full.

Cool!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey you guys, :action:Would you please resize

any photo's that ye post, :whip: or at least

resize or edit your mesgs, :whip:so that we

wont have to slide over and back to read it.

:crying:My phone has not stopped ringing

with members complaining. :whip:

:X :18red: :X

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Wow, one informative post, and my mana bucket is almost full.
Hey philcsand, :whip: Thats one of the big

problems on this forum. :whip: The next thing

to happen, you will be promoted to "Guru"

and thats when the real trouble starts. :whip:

Thank god i withdrew my application. :grinner:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Well done Phil, that clears a few questions up for me as well.

Dave, that Kenwood service manual is a handy item to have. I might have to refer to you for info from it at some point in the future, if that's all right.

OK.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Sorry, my monitor at home is set to 1280x1024, so everything looks ok on my screen. I shrunk the font, so I hope that helps.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Sorry, my monitor at home is set to 1280x1024, so everything looks ok on my screen. I shrunk the font, so I hope that helps.
Not your fault, it's the long link that made the message wider. If you split the link it mightn't work. Good info in that post.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Hi

New here and looking for some help please, I have a PDA that I use with TomTom Navigator on my :15grey: As per an earlier post by Phil I wired the audio from the PDA to the Intercom via themicrophone wires from my headset to receive the audio prompts,(works great :clapper:, Thanks Phil) the only problem Is that the volume even with the PDA at lowest level is way too loud , any remedies ? Also do I have to fit anything in the line to stop backfeed damaging the PDA ?. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Con :waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

you could drop a variable resister in-line with the audio out, 0-1k would probably do it, and just use it as another vol. control. Since we are dealing with milivolts on that line, I don't think you will need to worry about backfeed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looking at information available about helmet mikes, it appears that they are around 400 ohms impedance. To cut the output from the PDA to the bike in half you want to keep a 400 ohm impedance appied to the bike audio input. My Axim 5 PDA has an audio output impedance of around 32 ohms meant to drive a headset directly. Complicating this is that the PDA and the bike are stereo.

You could experiment with a series resistor in each, L and R, audio line, this may introduce distortion and/or noise since it will upset the impedance match but it may be acceptable.

As an experiment I'd get a couple of 500-1000 ohm potentiometers, connect the center terminal of the pot to one of the end terminals so they are set up as rheostats instead of potentiometers. Connect one of the audio lines from the PDA to the terminals on the rheostat that you tied together and connect a wire from the unconnected terminal to the bike input. Do the same for the other audio lead. Make sure you carry the common ground lead through from the PDA to the bike connector.

Start with the two rheostats at minimum resistance and then turn them up until you can get a usable level. If this works you can measure the resistance of the rheostat and get a couple of low wattage resistors and substitute them for the rheostats in the final setup.If it doesn't provideenough attenuation, get a couple fixed resistorsof around 1000ohms and putone in series witheach rheostat and try again.If you can get 1/8 or 1/16th Watt resistors, they are very small and you should be able to put them in the connector shell.

No guarantees here, the proper way to do this is with a resistor network, but that takes a lot more information, such as the input and output impedances of the bike audio system and the PDA audio output respectively. A network would take three to four resistors and would be a little bulkier. Also you need to know the amount of loss you want between the two devices. If you can find out the impedances involved and a good guess as to the amount of loss needed, I could calculate a resistance network for you. First you might want to take the quick and dirty method and see what happens.

I'm not the best technical writer, so if this doesn't make any sense to you let me know and I'll essay a sketch that hopefully might be more understandable

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help, now working a treat :D GPS audio now comes through headset at an acceptable volume and mutes any music playing from radio or cassette. The fix was a 50k pot wired in series.

Again thanks

Condy

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

:action:OK guys HELP !!! I just put a garmin zumo550 on my 1994 goldwing, I hooked up speakers via cassete adapter.OK but i would love to be able to use my honda headset(mic) :baffled:the gps cradle has a 2.5 MM mic jack .... any and all help appreciated Bubba !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Thats a really interesting outfit and welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Juke box jury,

I have the 2610 and mine came with a single speaker , which fits in the helmet and plugs into the jack that you speak of. I just slotted the speaker in my helmet behind the headset one and zip tied the first bit of the cord to my existing helmet headset. Works fine.I also fitted a cigarette type socket to the cable rather than hard wiring, so I can remove from bike when not wanted. saves the slide in attatchment from weather and theives. :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I remove mine when not in use also.

Just to Much Temptation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.