Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a rookie GL owner and even more inexperienced GPS user, can someone explain "BaseCamp" or "Rubber Band Method" or the difference between a waypoint and a shaping point? I do use the GPS on the Gold Wing to get me from point A to point B. I have used the feature that can locate the nearest Honda Dealer, Gas Station, Restaurant, etc. The other day I removed the card from the GPS and put it in my laptop, went to the Honda Trip Planner and browsed around but didn't feel comfortable enough to really try and build a route for a trip. Any and all assistance is welcome.

·
650 Posts
all you do is enter a starting address and then enter all the stops you want to make and the finish address it will plan the route for you if you want to enter more stops just make sure you move them to the correct point on the list otherwise you'll be backtracking I use it a lot I do have a problem with the system shutting down completely shutting of while driving only 3-4 times since I had the bike I believe theres a recall on that have you had any such problems? good luck!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
There are a number of benefits and methods of using a gps, a lot from practice I find....
My favorite is that it really frees you from really having to go from point A to B as per maps or the gps - no more 'planning' unless there are some real poi's you really want to see. You see an interesting side road or mountain pass, just go for it, never worry about getting lost, will always find a way to where ever you want to go in the end, planned or unplanned.
Just remember to tick off the unpaved roads avoidance; I'd really ended up in the booneys a couple times that way with a long drive back......

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a problem with the system shutting down completely shutting of while driving only 3-4 times since I had the bike I believe theres a recall on that have you had any such problems? good luck!
I have not had this issue. One other question, how do we get updates to the GPS? My Toyota Camry has a GPS and Toyota sent me a USB stick with updates when it was required. Have not heard or read that Honds Motorcycles get the same treatment. Just want to ensure I have the latest updates available.

·
650 Posts
not sure how or if there are any updates if so Honda my send a notice like the one I have attached

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had any issues with my GPS like what is in that letter. I bought my GW in July of last year and also purchased a maintenance contract with the bike. It goes every 4 thousand miles for a service, I wonder if they are performing any updates when the bike is in? I certainly hope they are. Next service interval I will ask the service manager.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.