Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello All,

Just curious if anyone has tried mounting an gps unit in the stock CB location in the left side fairing( knee high). I am thinking of purchasing an gps unit but do not know anyone that actually has a gps to measure to see how close the fairing cutout is in comparison to the gps 'face'. It looks like the 4.3 lcd models would fit very close. I am sure this is not the ideal location but I think would be readable if not in heavy traffic? I do not like the asthetics of having it mounted hanging off of the handlebars,,,:(. I know this is the way most people mount them on bikes for conveneince.
Ideas.

Thanks,
BC

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi bc i dont know if that would be the safest place to fit one i have mine on the window abouve the air vent so when she who must be obayed gps woman says turn right and there is no turn you have to look at the screen to see wtf trip she is on looking down doing 70 on the highway is not a good option in saying that most gps have the on button on the top of the unit plus the external chips ect are on the side so i dont see how you could mount it in the knee pannel and have access

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
imported post

I prefer to not have to take my eyes too far of the road to look at my GPS, even though it does talk to me. That's why I mounted mine just below the ignition, so my line of sight to it is straight down from my eyeline to the road ahead.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't like to have it there as your eyesite would be off the road too long and too often when you get the istructions to turn. I would prefere to mount it within my eyeline whilst not having to lose my lign of site from the road. I am currently modifying my radio to have an aux input for a Garmin unit but have not yet decided where to mount the unit. I will fit it first on the handlebars and see. If not happy I will try it elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I have mine mounted just below the ignition switch as well.Even while glancing at the GPS you still have a fairly good view of the road directly ahead.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I concur with the prevailing opinions. The CB location would seem too low. It would be difficult to see well and more difficult to use the controls on it. I prefer my GPS to be mounted on the center line of my bike. Since one tends to wander in the direction one is looking toward, if I break my rule to leave the GPS alone while riding I won't be as likely towander off to the side of the road.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My GPS is in the trunk. It's called a road atlas. Just love maps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.