Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently added a small GPS unit to my arsenal of electronic gadetry and have discovered that, according to the GPS, my Wing's speedometer is reading a whopping 7 mph fast. Can this be?:doh:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
I recently added a small GPS unit to my arsenal of electronic gadetry and have discovered that, according to the GPS, my Wing's speedometer is reading a whopping 7 mph fast. Can this be?:doh:
It's pretty common. Keep in mind that your GPS will have about a 2-second lag when accelerating or braking. MyGL1000 reads about 2.4 miles fast.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

tire size and or wear can affect speedos, however, most are made to register just a little faster than you are going... call it a fudge factor

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Most of the GPS forums reckon the GPS is more accurate. The lag is insignificant with the Garmins (SP3, 2110, 2620 etc), more like a fraction of a secondand I find my Goldwings speedo is about 5% faster, while my car reads about 10% faster!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
33 Zip, 7 MPH error is a lot but you didn't give the speed it is off at.

Older Wings reading faster than travel speed is common. My 1200 is running about 95mph at an indicated 100 mph (timed with a police radar once & a couple of times with a stop watch). The spedo being inaccurate isn't too bad once you get used to it but the odo being off about the same is a pain. My miles per gallon looks pretty good if I figured on the odo instead of actual.

Most vehicles in the US read slightly fast due to law. It's against the law for a vehicle manufacturer to certify a vehicle if the spedo reads lower than actual. It can be off slightly (was 3% but I haven't checked the statute in a while) by reading fast but not reading slow so if the manufacturer has a choice in spedo gearing with one reading 1% slow & one reading 3% fast it would be the fast on sent out. Europe has different specs so spedo's (cars/bikes)going there are calibrated slightly differently.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I was told that manufacturers are allowed 10% and that they deliberatly set them to read under.
I installed a GPS this week and my aspy indicates 8-9 miles under what the GPS reads at about 80 k.
Now I know why everything is passing me on the Highway when I am riding at an indicated 120kph I was actually riding at 110kph :)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Up to 10% over has always been the accepted practice in Europe. It's a bit wide of the mark, a maximum of 5% over should easily be attainable these days.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I was told that manufacturers are allowed 10% and that they deliberatly set them to read under.
I installed a GPS this week and my aspy indicates 8-9 miles under what the GPS reads at about 80 k.
Now I know why everything is passing me on the Highway when I am riding at an indicated 120kph I was actually riding at 110kph :)
Tricky, I don't have the Canadian specs handy (I do at work though) but I seriously doubt they allow a 10% under spedo cal. That would allow a person traveling in a 100 kph zone to legally drive 110 kph & I know that isn't so. I would imagine it would be pretty close to US specs (maybe the 10% part could be true) but my engineering background say it is probably over cal allowed not under. Now in Europe it is different that I know..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Twisty,

That 7 mph fast reading was taken at 70(or what I thought was 70) MPH. I've always heard you could fudge on your speed by 10% and be safe. I'm excited by the fact that now I can run 84 MPH out on the interstates and be OK. :banana:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

GREAT post guys as I just bought a garmin III plus on ebay and will be installing it hopefully this week end Where are you guys mounting yours?

handlebar ? tank pod? right pocket cover? I'll let you know what readings I find as I can normally get away with 115-120 km in the hov lanes It will be interesting to see how fast I am actually going. Maybe this will stop "she who's word is law" from beating me over the head and shoulders when she thinks I'm going to fast (now she'll know)

Neil

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I velcroed mine onto the handle bar cover next to the odometer reset buttons. I have the Etrex Legend and it fits there real nice. Easy to see without having to move my eyes off the road to much.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

My '84 Aspy speedo reads about 7 mph faster than the GPS measured speed. My '99 Honda Accord was about the same. I wonder if that was standard practice at Honda in years past? Must not be now because my '05 Accord reads right on the money!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

My GPS V has been residing on the shelter for quite some time, my speedometer is off by 7-8%, Only thing that bothers me about that is that because Honda has limited the Cruise Control to 80 MPH, I can't use the cruise to attain and hold 75 MPH.

The GPS comes in hany when riding new roads, let's you see what's around the next corner. But don't stare at it too long.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
tricky wrote:
Tricky, I don't have the Canadian specs handy (I do at work though) but I seriously doubt they allow a 10% under spedo cal. That would allow a person traveling in a 100 kph zone to legally drive 110 kph & I know that isn't so. I would imagine it would be pretty close to US specs (maybe the 10% part could be true) but my engineering background say it is probably over cal allowed not under. Now in Europe it is different that I know..

Twisty
Actually thats what I meant (to read higher) than the actual speed travelling.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

So mounted my Garmin gps III+ found that the speedo on the aspy is consistentley7KM high of actual speed 35 km 75 km doesn't matter same error

Woopee can crank the gas a little more\ PS see post re gps maps I'm looking for garmin mapsource for Canada

neil

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
GREAT post guys as I just bought a garmin III plus on ebay and will be installing it hopefully this week end Where are you guys mounting yours?

handlebar ? tank pod? right pocket cover? I'll let you know what readings I find as I can normally get away with 115-120 km in the hov lanes It will be interesting to see how fast I am actually going. Maybe this will stop "she who's word is law" from beating me over the head and shoulders when she thinks I'm going to fast (now she'll know)

Neil

My Gamin 111 indicates that my speedo is 8% fast, this normal an acceptable, who travels at silly high speeds that 6% makes a difference. I have my SP111 mounted on the brake reservoir on aperpous made cradle, it looks part of the bike.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd expect a speedo to have no more than 5% error and that reading high. 8% seems like a lot, is it constant, at low and higher speeds? Usually the error increases with speed. My truck has an error of 2.5mph that ranges from 30mph to 75mph and is pretty linear. My car is within 1mph at 70 and pretty right on at lower speeds. I don't care if the speedo is off, I just want to know how far it's off at common speeds of 55,60,70 and 75 since these are common highway limits. I usually run about 5 over the limit on the highway but don't want to push it any further than that to keep the gendarmes from getting too interested in me.

The inflation pressure and brand of tire on the front will affect the speedo accuracy too.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I'd expect a speedo to have no more than 5% error and that reading high. 8% seems like a lot, is it constant, at low and higher speeds? Usually the error increases with speed. My truck has an error of 2.5mph that ranges from 30mph to 75mph and is pretty linear. My car is within 1mph at 70 and pretty right on at lower speeds. I don't care if the speedo is off, I just want to know how far it's off at common speeds of 55,60,70 and 75 since these are common highway limits. I usually run about 5 over the limit on the highway but don't want to push it any further than that to keep the gendarmes from getting too interested in me.
Thats a good tactic. The Streetpilots are still reckoned to be more accurate than the speedos on most vehicles. I seen a program about this around Christmas and on the track tests that the programme did, the GPS units consistently delivered results within 1% accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

My bike reads 8-9 KPH higher than the GPS, my 91 Mercury Marquis reads 4-5 KPH lower than the GPS. This is at approx 100 kph GPS indicated speed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.